Author Topic: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Game Over!)  (Read 819408 times)

Polaris

Re: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Day Two)
« Reply #930 on: April 18, 2020, 08:24:12 PM »
for the record, for the smartbomb vote i was thinking like, "ok everyone seems to be weirdly down for a smartbomb wagon but it's getting no action, who's the scum bussing smartbomb" but i realized that for scum to bus smartbomb, smartbomb has to be scum :V would probably vote again but that would take it to like l-2 and it just doesn't seem like a good use of my vote atm

was your townclear on daiya about the flip onto meow in eod1? i said it looked relatively good (compared to serela) in an earlier post but i don't think it's enough to be 100%. i'm posting this on the fly but i'll actually go back and reread what you wrote about it and see if i agree

Polaris

« Reply #931 on: April 18, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »
i think i'm more annoyed that people are ignoring daiya. i thought there was enough interest in a daiya lynch to set up a wagon and hopefully force people to take a stance on him (like i tried with myself d1) but i think it's less that people don't care about daiya but that people are just being incredibly passive overall.

##Unvote
##Vote: Serela

smartbomb is a wagon now so people better have loads to say about him

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Dormio#9601
    • Steam
Re: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Day 2)
« Reply #932 on: April 18, 2020, 08:34:34 PM »
Votecount
Disquieted (4): NekoNekoRex, Serela, banana spritzee, BigBangMeteor
Serela (2): Tom, Polaris
NekoNekoRex (1): Disquieted
NucleusWaffles (1): Yaersulf
BigBangMeteor (1): raikaria
Polaris (1): Daiya
Daiya (0):
banana spritzee (0):
Tom (0):
Fabloo (0):
raikaria (0):
Yaersulf (0):
PX (0):

There are currently 2 male characters and 11 female characters in the game.
With 13 players alive, it takes 7 to lynch!
Not voting: Fabloo, NucleusWaffles, PX

Time until day phase ends: [ Expired ]
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 01:31:39 AM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Dormio#9601
    • Steam
« Reply #933 on: April 18, 2020, 08:38:25 PM »
PX has been prodded. Again.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:42:29 PM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #934 on: April 18, 2020, 08:53:37 PM »
NNR would you lynch BBM with raikaria? i remember you not liking him before but give us an update
I would have to reread them in depth and I'm at work. However skimming my gut is slightly improved on Raikaria FWIW

There's also the problem that literally all my nonmason town reads have died and I do kinda need priorities
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

« Reply #935 on: April 18, 2020, 09:09:35 PM »
Could someone please explain what was going on between Disquieted and NucleusWaffles ealier, I feel like some information passed between them and I'm not sure what or why that was?

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #936 on: April 18, 2020, 09:23:49 PM »
hahaha jk no mafia break for me

a general theme of Raikaria's vote against me is a lot of buddying between me and smartbomb. I think there probably has been some of that because for a good portion of d1 smartbomb was one of my stronger townreads on a play basis because he had a general demeanor I empathized with, such as a general malaise with the traditional stages in a mafia game that you get after playing A Lot of Mafia. He also made several points that I thought were really good and unique and I think because I've been having some trouble with scumreads this game I probably took some cues from smartbomb's posts as to where to focus my attention next, if not always my vote. i'm pretty sure that by the end of d1 I put smartbomb back into my PoE pool though I wasn't really scumreading him until today.

however, two things about this.

1) there's very little actual analysis of mine and smartbomb's votes/posts, just when they happened in relation to each other. this is pretty circumstantial and more related to the fact that we seem to be in similar timezones. eg raikaria could be my buddy but we would never post at the same time since we're like 6 hours apart other than weekends.

2) it's not actually scummy unless smartbomb and I are buddies. now, raikaria does think we're both scum. but although he has some separate reasons for finding me scummy he doesn't really have many reasons for finding smartbomb scummy other than his buddying with me. pretty much the only one is that smartbomb voted meow without much reasoning. i will have to go back and look at that but smartbomb had posted reasoning against meow before i believe.

3) i don't like this interaction with smartbomb because it's a way of indicating suspicion towards smartbomb without actually contributing to smartbomb's lynch, which is a common way for scum to distance themselves from their buddies.

Another reason is inconsistency between how I treated meow and yaersulf's vanilla claims. this is actually a fair point because reading back I don't think I was super clear. couple reasons:

1) I thought meow was more experienced than yaersulf based on the fact that his posts were more competent. I think I was mistaken here. plus meow did it after i had already outed this logic after yaersulf did it. Essentially I thought meow would be more likely to wifom* than yaersulf.

2) I did actually waffle a bit on meow once he made that claim, but meow didn't claim until the wagons were already super consolidated. I believe daiya was at 0 votes at that point so we would have had to scrounge up like 8 votes in an hour with like only half the players present.

3) given I just found meow scummier than yaersulf and he was my main push on d1 when push came to shove I preferred it to yaersulf

We're not turboing smartbomb

I could go for daiya but ugh do we even have enough ppl/time

Meow's defeatist attitude is kinda weird so I'm waffling a bit but I would still rather do it than yaersulf

Either BBM's reads are wrong, everyone on the Townie wagon was wrong, or BBM is scum.

Also; I don't particularly recall BBM previously expressing a bad read on me, but maybe I'll come across it.

I believe I was nullish leaning scum for PoE reasons on you at the time. i hadn't really reread your posts since halfway through the day I think.

Also, yes, those are literally all the possible options given that meow flipped town.

I don't like posts like this.

lol I was making a joke

Also this post looks like a uge slip.

If meow is more suspicious than Serela... then you should be voting meow? Also why is this even a problem to BBM when BBM is voting Meow himself? Why would he be against this?
I really don't understand your point here. at the time I was really frustrated because I found meow scummy and a lot of people were like "yeah he could be scum" but nobody was voting him with me other than smartbomb (like you point out literally right after). i was trying to get meow lynched over other options I didn't agree with such as a literal mason claim, so I was annoyed that despite yaersulf finding meow scummier than serela, he voted serela (someone I was gut townreading).

Also on my earlier point of hsi bad read on me:

'Raikaria is refusing to give out newbie passes and is pushing for people he states he thinks are making scummy play. This is bad'. - That's what I read here.

Aka: Raikaria is scumhunting newbies so he is scummy and the worst-looking player imo right now.

How does this logic work?

I'm going to back off on this point because clearly we have different opinions here regardless of your alignment. but I don't think most of the things you were actually pushing were scummy play. you were just pushing bad play. is it really that scummy for a new player to be waffling and unsure of whether it's worth lynching someone? (your reason for voting yaersulf). a large part of your tom vote is him OMGUSing bard and like, the negative gut reaction to someone voting you is something everyone has and new players aren't always able to suppress.

Also I'm under the impression that Roles are rolled for? The scumteam isn't curated by the GM as far as I'm aware. Dormio and other GM's don't manically laugh as they try and create the most hilarious scumteam.

All the newbies could be scum. Or none of them.

Personally, I don't handpick anyone (maybe if someone specifically requests to be scum, but that's very rare) but if I roll alignments and there's a scumteam that I know is going to be bad because it's comprised of all new/poor players, or if a new player rolls SK, I re-roll until there's a balance in player experience that I'm relatively sure is fair. Creating a setup requires a lot of time, thought, and effort, and hosts are very invested in the game being fun and going well. Imagine putting tens of hours into making and balancing a setup that you're really excited about and waiting weeks/months for your turn in the queue to come up, and to get enough signups to even run the game, and then the entire scumteam is new players and they get waxed and the game is over D3 (I saw that happen once).

Fabloo

• The rain falls down on last year's man.
« Reply #937 on: April 18, 2020, 09:25:11 PM »
I missed a good amount. Someone mentioned if PX is influencing. PX is not even here to be influenced. I'll catch up soon.

Polaris

Re: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Day One)
« Reply #938 on: April 18, 2020, 09:30:29 PM »
God why are you voting meow over serela when you have meow as more suspicious

bbm read this post and fix your typo you silly goose

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #939 on: April 18, 2020, 09:31:55 PM »
OH I'M SO DUMB

I meant to say "god why are you voting SERELA over MEOW when you have meow as more suspicious. that's my bad

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #940 on: April 18, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
I missed a good amount. Someone mentioned if PX is influencing. PX is not even here to be influenced. I'll catch up soon.

some incredible quotes from this game so far

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #941 on: April 18, 2020, 09:44:59 PM »
Could someone please explain what was going on between Disquieted and NucleusWaffles ealier, I feel like some information passed between them and I'm not sure what or why that was?

my understanding is that smartbomb voted nucleus because he thought nucleus should have some sort of info for the town given that he semi-claimed. nucleus just responded that no he has no info and actually his role isnt that good (ps never say this unless your role is great)

Polaris

« Reply #942 on: April 18, 2020, 09:47:50 PM »
oh my interpretation was that smartbomb gave up on nucleus because he thought nucleus was completely unfathomable

which, like, yeah, relatable.

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #943 on: April 18, 2020, 09:49:29 PM »
also i read the main mafia hq thread and i'm not sure if it was referring to me but there was a discussion about changing avatars midgame and all i'm going to say is that i already have my avatar for day 3 picked out

Polaris

« Reply #944 on: April 18, 2020, 09:50:22 PM »
wow, don't tell me, is it burakku-kun

Fabloo

« Reply #945 on: April 18, 2020, 09:50:42 PM »
The arguments made against each other read like a presentation in front of the class. Everyone is taking their turn to show off. But nobody is really getting to know each other. More and more it seems like people are only interested what they themselves have to say as well.

I don't know how to read this.

PX

• School Idol?
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #946 on: April 18, 2020, 09:53:54 PM »
I am in insomnia hell where I'm always tired but can't sleep and FFXIV isn't the cure.

Fabloo

« Reply #947 on: April 18, 2020, 09:54:24 PM »
That seems hypocritical given how much time I've spent talking in longform. The only one-to-one interaction so far is with NNR/Disquieted in this entire phase. Maybe a few others.

I need to really look into these walls to piece together what people are exactly saying. Right now it all feels overly processed though.

raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
    • Twitch
    • Raikaria
    • Steam
« Reply #948 on: April 18, 2020, 10:02:46 PM »
OH I'M SO DUMB

I meant to say "god why are you voting SERELA over MEOW when you have meow as more suspicious. that's my bad

And now this has been cleared up and there's been some more posts and development and such, I feel content to

##Unvote

While I absolutely do not agree with BBM's opinions on some topics; disagreeing with opinions and stances does not inherently make scum. Having a differing opinion and playstyle is not inherently scummy.

Unfortunately it's 11pm and I'm going to sleep because early work tomorrow. However, I'll be back and try to actually be useful again Sunday afternoon/evening, and should be around until nearly deadline.

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

raikaria

• Do Tank Girls Dream...
  • Of Floating Eyeballs?
    • Twitch
    • Raikaria
    • Steam
« Reply #949 on: April 18, 2020, 10:03:27 PM »
I'll explain why some of the other stuff BBM posted has made me willing to unvote tomorrow. If I don't; remind me to do so [If you guys actually care about it anyway]

http://www.malevole.com/mv/misc/tribute/
I don't even remember who put the above in my sig. [Wasn't me] Nor do I understand why I keep it here anymore.
Those two facts sum me up pretty well.

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #950 on: April 18, 2020, 10:07:11 PM »
That seems hypocritical given how much time I've spent talking in longform. The only one-to-one interaction so far is with NNR/Disquieted in this entire phase. Maybe a few others.

I need to really look into these walls to piece together what people are exactly saying. Right now it all feels overly processed though.

yeah I'll try to cut down on the walls, my bad. i don't really like doing it too much but it's hard to response in-depth to a wall without making your own wall. looking back at my wall it's not very focused but essentially tl dr:

a) i think his reasoning about my end of day actions are fair b) his focus on buddying between me/smartbomb is kind of lame and a suspicious reason for a vote, c) him/smartbomb make sense as buddies to me

my main worry about smartbomb is that i don't know if smartbomb's apathy is because he's scum or just his personality and general playstyle given i haven't played with him before. but i think i'm feeling good about it. his nucleus push felt like he was purposely being kind of hipster rather than pushing stuff from before or engaging with others?

wow, don't tell me, is it burakku-kun
i actually have two choices depending on whether we lynch correctly or not.

Polaris

« Reply #951 on: April 18, 2020, 10:12:29 PM »
wow is it rakutsu-kun

raikaria choosing to unvote as the last thing to do before leaving is argh, considering i've already been on people's asses for not voting, but it could go either way wrt his alignment if he had at least telegraphed a future vote

now he's just, to put it how serela would say it, :C

Fabloo

« Reply #952 on: April 18, 2020, 10:14:58 PM »
That wasn't directed to just you BBM. I actually think your walls are pretty concise and your intention is clear. They also come from a place of investigation instead of preemptive action based on people talking about you. Like Serela.

Fabloo

« Reply #953 on: April 18, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
Quote from: BBM
my main worry about smartbomb is that i don't know if smartbomb's apathy is because he's scum or just his personality and general playstyle given i haven't played with him before. but i think i'm feeling good about it. his nucleus push felt like he was purposely being kind of hipster rather than pushing stuff from before or engaging with others?

I don't agree. I think he adapted to the situation. It's nothing I townread because of this however. Right now I'm sitting between voting off Serela/Disquieted if I'm being honest. It seems nobody cares about Year does so I won't care either. That isn't spiteful I promise.

Fabloo

« Reply #954 on: April 18, 2020, 10:21:48 PM »
Wait I just realized you feel good about him being scum. Point is just added onto yours then.

« Reply #955 on: April 18, 2020, 10:22:45 PM »
I tried yannow, you guys were suspicious about Nucleus so I wanted to make him say things to help you form opinions. ;-;

Fabloo

« Reply #956 on: April 18, 2020, 10:23:33 PM »
Nucleus solves himself I think.

Fabloo

« Reply #957 on: April 18, 2020, 10:26:09 PM »
but bad play is not inherently scummy play. it's extremely extremely wrong (imo) to keep saying "bad and scummy play" when the correlation between "bad play" and "scummy play" is not anywhere near as strong as you're making it out to be. and newbs are much more likely to play badly than experienced players (a hopefully non-controversial statement) regardless of their alignment. if you don't make that distinction, you're just going to be wrong.

the truth is, all of fabloo/daiya/tom/nucleus/yaersulf are not playing well, and are playing worse than you and smartbomb. i could lynch every single one of them (except fabloo cuz claim) and there's like a 95% chance I would lose the game.

in addition to that, not every mod does this (although I definitely do) but many mods are less likely to make new players scum because it's hard to be scum without having been town a couple times. in a game like this where half hte playerlist is new it's almost impossible for there to not be at least one newbscum, but it's generally a fair assumption that the scum will be (maybe only slightly) disproportionately distributed towards the more experienced players.

i kinda don't want to just talk about theory anymore but I suppose I can at least understand your mindset more on this.

I truly don't understand how smartbomb is playing well. His Polaris suspicion was all hot air and now it hasn't even carried over to the next day. I combed over this idea of who's playing well and who isn't but I don't know why it continues to plague this game. It doesn't matter honestly. Playing well is subjective. Anyone who has scumread me when I'm town isn't playing well. Anyone who has townread me when I'm scum to the same effect.

Fabloo

« Reply #958 on: April 18, 2020, 10:35:49 PM »
So I'm gonna drop the hugest truth bomb.

A lot of you are good players. I have seen bad games and seen bad play. Not once did I think I was surrounded by idiots who didn't know how to play Mafia. Rather what I see is people being so critical about themselves to a point that it feels like many of you are defeating yourself. And in turn defeating others. Bardiche already left this game and I didn't think he was playing bad either.

Truly. Absolutely bad play comes from an unwillingness. I don't see that here. Everyone is trying very hard. It's almost tense and I think it's fire trucking up my reads.

Fabloo

« Reply #959 on: April 18, 2020, 10:37:55 PM »
Sorry. I think Smartbomb is being scummy. Not bad. Scummy. It's scummy for him to create long stories about people with a ton of symbolism only for his preaching to mean nothing. Townies have conviction. Some sort of purpose. Even if I absolutely disagree with it. I see none of that with Smartbomb Disquieted Disbomb tired of double naming.