Author Topic: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Game Over!)  (Read 819125 times)

Daiya

• danse macabre
Re: Ys Mafia (Current Phase: Day One)
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2020, 08:07:45 PM »
nucleus is...strange, to say the least. the pr he's claiming sounds outlandish to me, but fabloo didn't seem too phased by it. do the roles here tend to be more experimental?

overall, it seems more like an inane gambit (he did call it a gambit himself, right? it's not helping his coherence) than a genuine claim to me. whether or not it says anything about his alignment, idfk. usually see this kind of stuff coming from "ambitious" townies, so that's my knee-jerk read. need to hear more from him, but i also don't advise making him the main focus atm. tends to derail things way too quickly.

Serela

• Wait, it's Mafia Time?
  • Time was a mistake.
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2020, 08:09:23 PM »
nucleus is...strange, to say the least. the pr he's claiming sounds outlandish to me, but fabloo didn't seem too phased by it. do the roles here tend to be more experimental?
Your mileage may vary. Dormio has been... pumped... about this setup. Anything is possible and it's best not to try to outguess the mods.

BigBangMeteor

• The Professor
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2020, 08:17:48 PM »
We're definitely not going to roleclaim but I don't see the harm in gender claiming? I think it would be somewhat lame if there were multiple roles relying heavily on character flavour and there was a scum counterpart to Nucleus's role.

Polaris

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2020, 08:22:50 PM »
no serela!!!!!!!!!! lynch!!!!!!!!! all!!!!!!!!!! lurkers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  >:(

i also am getting the inclination that whatever nucleus did is more likely to come from silly town than reckless scum...

##Unvote

guess i'll unvote for now. i honestly can't even make an over-the-top early day 1 case on who might be scum with the current posts so far :/ it is always a mystery for me how games get started like this

re: gender claiming - wouldn't it be better not to claim if scum has some sort of role relating to this? i suppose (under this assumption) the trade off is we get more informed town power role decisions for more informed scum power role decisions, and i feel like i'd personally rather sacrifice town power role decision-making in order to make scum less useful at night

Tom

« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2020, 08:50:26 PM »
Lets be more careful of pushing lurker lynches...  I get that the mafia wants to lay low and is likely to lurk but they'd also want to lynch lazy townies since they wouldn't put up much resistance.

Also wouldn't the mafia go after town power roles for their first nightkill?  So better not claim roles unless we have some way of protecting from night actions?

Polaris

« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2020, 08:57:27 PM »
where is bard, i know he agrees with me on lynch all lurkers :(

Dormio Ergo Sum

• MotK's Official Idlebot
  • I don't bite... much.
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Dormio#9601
    • Steam
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2020, 09:03:23 PM »
Votecount
Bardiche (3): BigBangMeteor, Tom, Yaersulf
PX (2): NekoNekoRex NucleusWaffles
raikaria (2): raikaria, Serela
NucleusWaffles (1): Fabloo
Daiya (1): meow56
Tom (1): Bardiche
Disquieted (1): PX
Polaris (0):
zwerdjib (0):
meow56 (0):
Fabloo (0):
Serela (0):
Yaersulf (0):
BigBangMeteor (0):
NekoNekoRex (0):

With 15 players alive, it takes 8 to lynch!
Not voting: zwerdjib, Disquieted, Polaris, Daiya

Time until day phase ends: [ Expired ]
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:34:20 AM by Dormio Ergo Sum »

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2020, 09:27:53 PM »
not even 24 hours in and there's already roleclaiming going on, sheesh.

How do I use a quicktopic effectively? How much do I balance what to type in the quicktopic and what to type in thread?
It depends heavily on the role, but generally the amount of time you want to spend in the quicktopic is "as needed".

The best time to use it is during the night phase when you can't actually post in the main thread. You can continue sharing your thoughts and will have something to potentially leave behind if you are nightkilled.

A townie (masons) or neighbor quicktopic doesn't and shouldn't require much upkeep, your thoughts are largely better made in the main thread.
If you read my recent one I mostly spend it doing banter with Dormio or reinforcing my reads. It's useful if you feel your neighbor(s) have stubborn, bad reads and you can try to push them otherwise.

If you are a Non-Town faction and have a quicktopic (like mafia, obviously), the upkeep becomes much higher. Scum requires a lot of collaboration to push their goals, which obviously they can't discuss openly, so the quicktopic will be heavily in use to make plans and work with teammates. The scum's discord log had a pretty large amount of content, somewhat rivaling the main thread, so take that as a good indicator as well.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Fabloo

• The rain falls down on last year's man.
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2020, 09:35:31 PM »

overall, it seems more like an inane gambit (he did call it a gambit himself, right? it's not helping his coherence) than a genuine claim to me. whether or not it says anything about his alignment, idfk. usually see this kind of stuff coming from "ambitious" townies, so that's my knee-jerk read. need to hear more from him, but i also don't advise making him the main focus atm. tends to derail things way too quickly.

I agree his behavior is strange. I know nothing about what gender could entail in this setup but his way of pronouncing a bit of his role makes me believe it's important. I don't know what he meant by gambit but part of me believes he was just saving face. It depends whether or not you believe that alone is scummy.

Fabloo

« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2020, 09:38:18 PM »

Also yes we don't lynch lurkers on day 1. Even at the end of D1 it hasn't been long enough to tell if they're legitimately lurking it out or they were just busy for a day. End of D2 maybe if they're being overly intense about it and we don't have a scummy person (I can definitely recall a game I wanted to hard lynch a lurker d2 and they did turn out to be scum) but i feel like lurker lynches goes into full force on like, d3

I can't tell if this paragraph is a testament of how things play out here or if you are suggesting we don't lynch a lurker d1.

Bardiche

• iSuck
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2020, 09:40:18 PM »
where is bard, i know he agrees with me on lynch all lurkers :(

Yes, I wanted to slap Serela around with a smelly fish for that dumb remark. If anything, Day 1 is one of the best days for lynching a lurker because you assert dominance send a strong message to Townies that they better get their butts in the game, and to scum that if they try to coast, we're giving them a one-way ticket to Graveyard Town.

Although my joke on Tom was initially a joke, I am now consolidating it to a more serious vote.

##unvote
##vote: Tom

I get that he's a novice, but I don't quite like the circular reasoning presented just now. "Let's not lynch lurkers because sure, scum might lurk, but they might also push lynches on lurkers", what? That's the kind of reasoning that supports this nonsense MOTK meta where scum just shuts up and waits things out, while the townies fall over themselves. We should definitely lynch all lurkers, and townies should take care not to be lurkers.

I disagree with BBM. We shouldn't claim genders if that helps power someone's role because there's no guarantee that role supports the town. Besides, this is 2020, I identify as cloudgender, thanks very much, stop pushing me into a binary!11!!1!

Serela has once again mastered the art of posting words, stringing them into coherent sentences, and yet saying nothing at all. Waffle iron going hot again! Please be charmingly useless on your own time, this is Mafia time and I want all the townies to put their heads together and work with us here. If your next post is going to be waffles and useless, I'm going to be Very Cross With You. ♡ ( ̄З ̄)

Suggesting we leave lurkscum alone until D3 is like... mrghfh? I'll lynch a lurker Day 1 & Day 2 if I have to, DON'T. LURK.

I think talking about the role is just chewing the fat. It's pointless to speculate at this stage, let's not devolve into playing the role game on Day Freakin' One.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #101 on: April 14, 2020, 09:42:46 PM »
Not a lot of content so far otherwise (thank fire truck, 300 post early d1 hell never again). Pretty strong early town read on Daiya. Tom seems pretty innocent for a newbie so far as well. No comment on Nuke, chalking up his posts to being a total newbie.

Gut is telling me to keep an eye on you, Fabloo, so there's that. Not enough to warrant a vote, however.

Nothing has actually jumped out at me so far though, but it's still early game so that's expected.

Overall I'm still happy to keep my vote on PX, both for metagrudge reasons and that I'm not a fan of his posts anyway.

cut by bard. Not really sold on that reasoning for Tom tbh, he's still learning.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #102 on: April 14, 2020, 09:46:33 PM »
Actually pretty iffy on that bard post not gonna lie, especially since it's all sprinkled with fluffy fuzz to obfuscate the tone.

##Unvote: PX
##Vote: Bard

Bardiche

• iSuck
« Reply #103 on: April 14, 2020, 09:48:54 PM »
Nothing has actually jumped out at me so far though

[...]

I'm not a fan of his posts anyway.

That just seems contradictory, what about PX's posts do you not like, and why do you think it's a better case than voting Tom for presenting WIFOM?

Cut by... oh my. No Fun Allowed.jpg

I'm more interested in your case on PX, thanks very much.

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #104 on: April 14, 2020, 09:53:55 PM »
I simply don't like PX (it's literally a metagrudge) and he's had no real content regardless, but I'm happy to vote someone else for a more tangible reason!

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #105 on: April 14, 2020, 09:58:20 PM »
on lurker lynches, I think our tagline "The scum are scummy and the town stopped playing" is enough of a reason to not completely disregard good lynch bait and only go for lurkers, so in that sense Tom would be wise to be cautious about it on the first day, at least.

Tom

« Reply #106 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »
I just read that voting lurkers is an easy way to fake scumhunt and avoid suspicion without lurking according to this Mafia Scum

But if you insist that MotK mafia behaves differently and that the odds of finding scum are higher I'm willing to vote for lurkers

Polaris

« Reply #107 on: April 14, 2020, 10:12:17 PM »
i don't think we chose that tagline very democratically NNR, i don't think i would've voted for it.

lmao at the mafiascum wiki link, i remember when i did things like that :') i'll give tom a pass for now (even though i pretty much agreed with the bard vote) but keep in mind that these things are not universally applicable, it's all about context. mafia isn't a logic game, it's a social game!!!

let's try this.
##Vote: Fabloo
your vote has been on nucleus from RVS. are you upgrading your vote to a serious one with your recent posts?

Polaris

« Reply #108 on: April 14, 2020, 10:14:42 PM »
edit to add context: agreed with bard's vote on tom, did not agree with NNR's vote on bard. although i did agree with NNR's *squinty eyes* at fabloo but i figured i may as well upgrade it to a vote because i'm so bored

Fabloo

« Reply #109 on: April 14, 2020, 10:19:49 PM »
your vote has been on nucleus from RVS. are you upgrading your vote to a serious one with your recent posts?

There are two players I'm considering right now. I think Bardiche's vote on Tom is bold but slightly ineffective.

Fabloo

« Reply #110 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:13 PM »
Early as it may be, the presence represented by some people is striking. You have the clearly experienced end of players latching onto the newcomers and building their own interpretations upon them. I would be unsettled if I were in Tom's position and maybe even Nucleus. This is just how the game has progressed so far. Right now I think both are town.  Sometimes this isn't the case. Bardiche believes Tom's behavior is off due to the way he's concerned about lurkers but to me based on what's been said he would've been provided a bit of coaching by now. Tom's post about going on Mafia Scum about lurking shows a genuine curiosity and interest. His first posts also shown to me he is willing to be engaged. It doesn't seem like there's a figure over him.

Polaris

« Reply #111 on: April 14, 2020, 10:29:38 PM »
ok i'm confused, please vote the person who you think is scum

Fabloo

« Reply #112 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:19 PM »
ok i'm confused, please vote the person who you think is scum

What I'm trying to say is that Tom/Nucleus haven't done anything to be scummy and I think that the hypothetical experienced end of the game realizes this. Do you disagree? I also believe there is a stronger likelihood to contain scum in there. Not all. Just some. If Tom/Nucleus were making mistakes or even doing newbscummy things then perhaps things would be different. But they're not. The only content they can make is latching onto these players in ways that seem productive. What I'm trying to understand is who is just genuinely out for Tom/Nucleus' best interest and how is just taking this opportunity to seem "townie."

Serela

• Wait, it's Mafia Time?
  • Time was a mistake.
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2020, 10:33:27 PM »
sorry bard, I've been into bed/out of bed/into bed/out of bed and I'm still half asleep, I don't have the mental capacity to stare at someone and go "well, I think the way you reacted to this completely random vote was slightly weird". ED1 absolutely sucks etc. But I do want to post to clarify active lurking/lurky lurking is different, when you're actually posting and saying nothing that's obviously pretty scummy (e.g. abu and shadoweh d1/2 of the previous game) but what I meant was you don't lynch people who literally aren't present d1 because

A.it's absolutely useless, if they were just distracted IRL for one day you qualify for this d1 and this happens to anyone
B.it's absolutely useless, you get next to zero information for it and go into d2 like "day one, but again"

like if you lynched actiondan d1 last game because he got a prod d1. lmao. you're basically shooting yourself in the foot. (please completely ignore the fact that he flipped scum that is beside the point)

I just read that voting lurkers is an easy way to fake scumhunt and avoid suspicion without lurking according to this Mafia Scum

But if you insist that MotK mafia behaves differently and that the odds of finding scum are higher I'm willing to vote for lurkers
This is completely true when town lurks. Town should be trying to make an effort to not lurk. Scum lurking, however, is a little more 'tried and true' motk mafia strategy than you might think >_> Plus, I can say this from experience, sometimes as mafia it's exceedingly difficult to try to think of a good post so you give up and just don't make one instead and hope no one notices until at least the NEXT day phase.

Daiya

• danse macabre
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2020, 10:37:17 PM »
@Bard, what exactly was waffley about serela? although i did get cut, #89 and #90 essentially reach the same conclusions.

Serela

• Wait, it's Mafia Time?
  • Time was a mistake.
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2020, 10:39:43 PM »
i also think it's pretty funny that i was accused of being useless waffles when those earlier posts were made at the point where we were still nearly full strength rvs :U what about the people who empty unvoted

Polaris

« Reply #116 on: April 14, 2020, 10:40:01 PM »
fabloo, i am still confused. you are saying that nucleus is town, but you are also voting nucleus?

this was supposed to be a softball question, why are you making this so complicated :(

Fabloo

« Reply #117 on: April 14, 2020, 10:41:30 PM »
fabloo, i am still confused. you are saying that nucleus is town, but you are also voting nucleus?

this was supposed to be a softball question, why are you making this so complicated :(

Force of habit. I was hoping you'd take away more of the things I was saying though.

##Unvote

Serela

• Wait, it's Mafia Time?
  • Time was a mistake.
« Reply #118 on: April 14, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »
##Unvote
##Vote Fabloo

WHY IS EVERYONE EMPTY UNVOTING
YOU DON'T EVEN NEED A GOOD REASON TO VOTE PEOPLE RIGHT NOW

Polaris

« Reply #119 on: April 14, 2020, 10:46:14 PM »
There are two players I'm considering right now.

wait, did this not mean "there are two players i am considering as scummy"? or did you just mean you were "considering" nucleus and tom