Author Topic: How is the Touhou community in your area, or country?  (Read 9126 times)

Dreamy-Eyed Yuuritsu

• 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
How is the Touhou community in your area, or country?
« on: September 09, 2023, 07:44:50 AM »
I'm fairly interested in learning more about Touhou communities in other locations across the world.
So, do you guys enjoy a lively Touhou community where you live, or are you guys somewhat lonely in the search for more Touhou fans around you?

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
Re: How is the Touhou community in your area, or country?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 04:45:19 PM »
Have you met an Eritrean Touhou fan?

Well, you see him now. :cirnotan:
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

Dreamy-Eyed Yuuritsu

• 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2023, 06:10:48 AM »
Greetings to you from Vietnam! :>
I'm honestly just glad that there are still people using forums nowadays, since I don't want to see such a memorable aspect of the old Internet slowly getting forgotten. 

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2023, 05:22:43 PM »
In the US, sizeable community but everyone is scattered around so it's hard to find people that are near you. Touhoufest last year was really fun since I actually got to verify that other Touhou fans exist with my own eyes :P

I'm really jealous of China and Japan having lots of Touhou-only events all across the country on a regular basis.

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2023, 05:35:01 PM »
In the US, sizeable community but everyone is scattered around so it's hard to find people that are near you. Touhoufest last year was really fun since I actually got to verify that other Touhou fans exist with my own eyes :P

I'm really jealous of China and Japan having lots of Touhou-only events all across the country on a regular basis.

At LEAST there are U.S.A Touhou fans. In my country, I don't think so, to the point it feels like I'm the only Touhou fan from my country due to not having any type in internet in it and probably having no interest about a game of girls beating the crap out of each other.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2024, 06:07:04 PM by SeroVich »
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

Dreamy-Eyed Yuuritsu

• 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2023, 06:55:22 AM »
I'm fairly envious of our close neighbor Malaysia, they even had a Touhou booth in a recent event which sells local Touhou doujinshis and such
:<

bigyihsuan

• segfaults suck
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • bigyihsuan#8976
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2023, 03:54:56 PM »

As an East Coaster, if they ever do TouhouFest (or something like it) in NYC I'd definitely go

williewillus

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 04:33:24 AM »
As an East Coaster, if they ever do TouhouFest (or something like it) in NYC I'd definitely go

I don't think there's any plans for now which is a shame. Would love to see it alternate between east/west coast and/or midwest. I know it's hard since most of the staff is located near LA (having people at the site is crucial to running a good con).

Maybe they could find people they trust in the respective regions to form their own committees for Touhoufest Central/West/South or whatever. But that's a long ways off.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2023, 03:59:00 PM »

I'm also curious what Touhou communities look like and how Touhou players gather together in countries apart from China and Japan. There is many Touhou-only events in China, but I haven't even experienced one yet since I'm not a deep Touhou fan. Actually I just watch Touhou videos and read mangas on websites like bilibili( a chinese video site like yt or niconico ), pixiv, and sometimes surf other Touhou-related websites like thwiki. Is there any way to gather together or get connected with other touhou fans in your country?

williewillus

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2023, 02:26:37 AM »
Is there any way to gather together or get connected with other touhou fans in your country?

The only in-person Touhou-only event in the USA is Touhoufest. I think there are meetups at other large conventions, but not sure how many actually happen. I don't think there was one at Sakuracon in Seattle this year.

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2023, 04:34:29 PM »
I don't have any Touhou fans in my school or city, but I know quite a lot of friends who have at least heard of it or know of it. I just generally think there aren't many Touhou fans on the East Coast of the U.S.A compared to the West Coast. Although, I don't really express my love of Touhou as much in public, so I only really connect to other Touhou fans if they come up to me and talk about it.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2023, 06:42:50 PM »
I don't image there being many concentrated communities outside of Japan, China and the US, here in Bulgaria the closest I've gotten is stumbling across another bulgarian in an English speaking discord server, there's also BG translations of some touhou games, so there's gotta be at least a few of us
« Last Edit: November 06, 2023, 07:20:52 PM by nAd »

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2023, 07:59:28 PM »
I joined the main Polish Discord just to check on them. Lots of people, middling activity.

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2023, 09:42:57 PM »
I live in Latin America, id probably get beat up if I talk about anime to someone

I'm a closet Touhou fan.

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2023, 07:23:30 PM »
I'm from Greece and the community here is basically non-existent. I'm in a Greek Touhou discord server (possibly the only one) and excluding some bots and an alt there are exactly 13 people there.

I don't image there being many concentrated communities outside of Japan, China and the US, here in Bulgaria the closest I've gotten is stumbling across another bulgarian in an English speaking discord server, there's also BG translations of some touhou games, so there's gotta be at least a few of us
Hello fellow Balkan existance!!!

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2023, 01:51:58 PM »
I'm from Greece and the community here is basically non-existent. I'm in a Greek Touhou discord server (possibly the only one) and excluding some bots and an alt there are exactly 13 people there.
Hello fellow Balkan existance!!!

I joined the main Polish Discord just to check on them. Lots of people, middling activity.

How do you guys even find these types of servers?Do you just stumble upon them or do you go out of your way to search [insert country here] Touhou discord server. I assume it would be hard to find one that is specifically centered around your country by mere coincidence.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2023, 02:44:37 PM »
It was on Disboard. I guess big servers have a good chance to be there.

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2023, 05:55:35 AM »
How do you guys even find these types of servers?Do you just stumble upon them or do you go out of your way to search [insert country here] Touhou discord server. I assume it would be hard to find one that is specifically centered around your country by mere coincidence.

For me it was very hard to find it. I was searching for a lot of stuff on Google and only found, like, 3 memes. I was so desperate that I started making my own server but when I saw some interesting conversations on the comment section of a Greek-styled arrange and I clicked on a person's channel and in one of their videos there was a link to that server.

Vance_croowa_08

• The entity living in your walls
  • Yo! How u doin' ?
    • vance_croowa08
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2023, 10:44:24 AM »
In my country (Italy), the Touhou fandom isn't as big as that of english-speaking countries (like its internet presence is almost nonexistent) but it does exist however. There's even a discord server for italian Touhou fans! I even managed to convert one of my friends to the cult (tho he hasn't played any of the games and his knowledge of the series is surface-level). I just wish i had a irl friend who loves Touhou as much as i do
"Your signature cannot span more than 5 lines"

Literally 1984