Author Topic: Techniqual questions regarding new games (16-18)  (Read 7503 times)

2J

• Photograph of Wonderland
Techniqual questions regarding new games (16-18)
« on: November 07, 2021, 12:08:03 PM »
Hello, everyone.

First of all, if my questions have already been asked, I am sorry in advance. I had some questions concerning the newer games(16-18). I've been playing touhou since 2009, and until touhou 15, I remember that the characters used to have different hitboxes.(except for the pc-98 and EOSD, at that time, they did have the same hitbox, it started on PCB) I don't remember where I've read that, but one day, I was reading that apparently in touhou 16, they all have the same hitboxes. I have been checking the characters description ig, and yes, they don't have this "small hitbox" for Reimu or "easy to get items" for Marisa, for the three consecutive games. So, my question is: did Zun "erase" this thing about the small hitbox and now, Marisa and Reimu share this trait ?

Another question is regarding the speed of the characters. I would like to know if there is a way to know which character is the slowest at focused speed. For exemple touhou 18: I am not entirely sure that Reimu is the slowest at the focused speed. So I would like to know if I can get that information for those games.

Thank you very much for reading.

Karisa

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Karisa109
Re: Techniqual questions regarding new games (16-18)
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 10:01:47 PM »
I'm not sure about hitboxes, but as far as I know, in the Touhou 10+ engine, there's no difference in focused speed for any character.

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 10:50:37 PM »
Here's a reddit post that should be helpful

Classic is PCB and IN, EoSD has the big hitbox for both characters IIRC. Smallbox is 2px half-side length, so 4x4px, big is 2.5px, so 5x5px

Modern 1 is MoF through UFO, small is 2px half-side length (4x4) again, medium is 3px (6x6) and large is 3.5px (7x7, poor Marisa)

Modern 2 is TD through LoLK, 2.0 radius for Reimu, 3.0 radius for everyone else, difference doesn't feel as stark due to the switch to round hitboxes

HSiFS has hidden hitbox values that aren't used, everyone has a 3.0 circle radius

Red is Reimu, black is Marisa, green is every other shottype.

For the hitboxes size in the games that aren't mentionned by the reddit post (WBaWC and UM), they work the same as they do in HSiFS : circle shaped hitbox of a 3.0 pixel diameter

Hitbox shape aside, the reason for that is that these games have an UNUSED value of 2.0 (small hitbox), 2.4 (medium hitbox), and 2.7 (large hitbox), and everyone wound up getting the same hitbox size. Some ZUN oversight probably, just like the one that lead to the passive ISC yin yang orb not reducing hitbox size or something.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 10:52:45 PM by Suspicious person »

2J

• Photograph of Wonderland
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2021, 10:11:33 AM »
Okay, thank you very much.

At least, I'm sure of the size of the hitboxes being the same in new gen, now.

For the speed, maybe I'll find a way myself.

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 07:12:07 PM »
Bumping this to refer people to the very helpful diagram on the Chinese wiki that documents the hitboxes of all bullet types, and shows how close you can get to them before getting hit: link

Left column is MoF-UFO, right column is for games after that.