Author Topic: Anime Talk  (Read 23767 times)

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
Anime Talk
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:11 AM »
During this whole quarantine I've been taking the time to catch up or rewatch a lot of anime. I've recently completed Fullmetal Alchemist (original and Brotherhood along with the movies), Spice and Wolf, Madoka Magica (+Rebellion) and Magia Record, and now I'm currently binging on D. Gray-man (watching both original and going for Hallow afterwards), and plan on finishing Monochrome Factor and Revolutionary Girl Utena. Probably got others on my list but I can't recall them atm and I'm focusing on what I'm interested in now.

What anime have you guys been watching lately? Wanna recommend one or have certain preferences? Wanna discuss likes/dislikes with your current watch? Let's talk about them here.

Re: Anime Talk
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2020, 09:26:59 AM »
My Brother and I have also been using some quarantine time to catch up on anime, mainly stuff that I've missed and some new stuff. My Hero Academia, Fire Force, Tower of God and Attack on Titan... Season 2 (Yes I'm that late!).

DarkWitchClaire

• the future is now
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 07:17:02 PM »
Been watching a lot of Symphogear lately, still in the first season but it's been very good. Also been catching up on Cardcaptor Sakura.

Kitrinos

• wrigglefan1956 in the flesh
  • i am so powerful and smart (trust me on this one)
    • lovecoloredms
    • Steam
    • My Website (Neocities)
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 10:05:22 PM »
I'm one of those people who didn't hop on the AoT bandwagon back when it was popular, so I've been watching that off and on. There's a few other shows I wanna watch, too, but I can really only keep track of 1 show at a time.
:H::I::exc: :note:

"The image of all time." title="This is the image of all time."

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 10:16:08 PM »
I need to get back to watching Jojo and Eizouken. Not like those shows are gonna get another season any time soon.
ze

Kitrinos

• lovecoloredms
    • Steam
    • My Website (Neocities)
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 10:32:29 PM »
I need to get back to watching Jojo and Eizouken. Not like those shows are gonna get another season any time soon.
You could always get super duper far ahead in JoJo if you like the seasons you haven't watched yet. Colored manga scans of part 6 and 7 are floating around the internet, as well as some colored, sort of caught up scans of part 8.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 02:18:00 AM »
You could always get super duper far ahead in JoJo if you like the seasons you haven't watched yet. Colored manga scans of part 6 and 7 are floating around the internet, as well as some colored, sort of caught up scans of part 8.

Hopefully the scans have good translations or I'm not gonna be happy about my choices
ze

Kitrinos

• lovecoloredms
    • Steam
    • My Website (Neocities)
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 08:30:05 AM »
Hopefully the scans have good translations or I'm not gonna be happy about my choices

The colored scans have good translations, check out JoJo's Colored Adventure's website otherwise it's like a 99% chance you'll get bad translations.

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2020, 08:17:08 PM »
So I got the scans for Part 1 but the files are in a format that's not compatible on any of the software on my PC
ze

Kitrinos

• lovecoloredms
    • Steam
    • My Website (Neocities)
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 05:48:51 AM »
So I got the scans for Part 1 but the files are in a format that's not compatible on any of the software on my PC

What are their file extensions?
By the way, I actually recommend you to watch the anime for parts 1 through 5. They're just more enjoyable that way, in my opinion. Better art, cool fight scenes, all that stuff.

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2020, 03:37:23 AM »
Can someone move this thread to SAVIOR? It's the perfect thread to go there and make that forum less completely empty.

ramaseta

• Amateur composer and game dev
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • My Writing Website
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2020, 05:16:46 AM »
I've been watching Cardcaptor Sakura lately on Netflix, and I'm enjoying that a lot. I've also watched all of Nurse Witch Komugi recently, with the exception of R. NWK is certainly... something, alright.

Felis-Licht

• Light Aeon
  • Artist and Writer
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2020, 11:10:46 PM »
Can someone move this thread to SAVIOR? It's the perfect thread to go there and make that forum less completely empty.
Didn't know the thread belongs there, I'll request a move.

I finished DGM and Hallow after a bit; couple of people told me to read the manga up to a certain point for Hallow since it skips a lot of context and other stuff. Overall it wasn't too bad. The drama behind Hallow was something I never expected to stumble upon, and then I learned the series's manga is still currently ongoing! Got something else to look forward to :D
Watched the dub of Vampire Knight during October since I wanted to get into the Halloween mood; dub was alright, it's weird hearing Vic Mignogna voice one of the main characters because it didn't quite match their personality imo also forgot how much of a harem/drama VK was (not sure if I should watch the 2nd season)

As much as I want to watch Monochrome Factor and Revolutionary Girl Utena so I can finally finish them, I've been trying to find the right moment to watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure for the first time with my sister. We've both seen and love the random memes everywhere, but she hates anything gory and tends to drop things after awhile.
So much on my plate and I can never figure out what to invest my time in...

Kilgamayan

• False Administrator
  • The Real Treasure is You
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2020, 11:35:27 PM »

For future reference, for things like this, report the thread. It's far more likely to get the attention of someone capable of doing something about it.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> fire truck YEAH

Reimu6

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 02:42:39 PM »
lol. I like anime and I havn't watched anime in like 2 years. Lol anime is still cool.  :cirnotan: :cirnotan: :cirnotan: :cirnotan:

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2023, 10:36:42 AM »
Been on a bit of an anime binge lately, and in particular just finished watching Haruhi stuff. Seen references here and there so decided it's time to check out what all the fuss is about. And, well, it did leave quite an impression.

First off, Haruhi herself ended up quite surprising me. That is, surprising me by how much I might come to want to slap - or even stab - a fictional character. And not in an affectionate way. Can't stand obnoxiously bossy selfish characters, even if that's how they show their positive feelings. As for the latter, well, after beating Morrowind I see nothing wrong with deicide. And with how easily she ends up threatening the world (seriously, even losing at an amateur baseball game upsets her that much, ffs) I quickly came to thinking of that as the most reasonable thing to do in the situation.

But then, in the last few episodes (chronologically), it happened. In the past, I would read about why people like her and go "Character development? Does THAT really count as character development?". But with age I started to notice and appreciate the smaller details. And gotta give it to authors, her growth was shown subtly but masterfully. I hate to admit it, but by movie's end she did start seeming somewhat charming. Not to the point of becoming someone I'd wish to be friends with but still.

Though it's not just Haruhi herself that gave me mixed feelings. The anime itself feels like it's not worth half the time you'd spend to watch it. Sadly, there's way too much stuff that feels like pointless filler (especially, but not limited to, Endless Eight, of course). The confusion with episode orders doesn't do it any favors either. I watched them chronologically but I did pay attention to where they would be originally, and it felt like that order would be only detrimental to experience.

The movie didn't need to be as long as it is either, way too many dragging shots and pointless plot threads (to the point of paradox in the end). Though if it did one thing right, long hair Haruhi is a blessing.

There's one more point about the story I find annoying. There's a lot of romance teasing between male lead and all of the female SOS members, but it's just that, teasing. Some of it is so thick it almost screams for a love thread, but it's almost impressive how the story avoids anything substantial. From what I know, the novels are like that as well, and it does make for nice fanfic fuel, but still, it's like the author couldn't decide whether to go for that angle or not.

In the end, after watching it, I'm just happy that KyoAni learned how to do a good adaptation by K-On and Chuunibyou because this didn't quite feel like one. The only good thing I carried out of it is finally seeing the appeal of completely emotionless girls.

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2023, 09:32:11 PM »
I've been on an anime watching grind lately, Ive been trying to watch some series I've put off for a long time now. I just finished Girls Und Panzer and I've got to say it was pretty great.

I was also watching Cross Ange at the same time frame. And let's say i preferred it's wholesome nature over Cross Ange's.

The concept of cute anime girls riding tanks as a sport is hilarious. It's simple premise and day to day life aspect makes it a very nice slice of (tank?) life that will definitely improve your mood and makes you laugh. With lots of anime these days just being shows with wish fulfillment protagonists or deep complicated themes it's always a pleasure to go back in time where people just went:
"What if we have girls fight in tanks?"

Just wanted to put this recommendation here because to be honest, we all need more tank riding girls on our lifes.

If anybody can, throw some recommendations I'm willing to watch anything but I prefer shows with cute girls.