Author Topic: Strange Controllers  (Read 20342 times)

Anna

• Anna-san the Blasphemous
  • I may have one arm but I have legs to kick your a-
Strange Controllers
« on: March 04, 2020, 12:37:29 PM »
I haven't been a Touhou fan for very long but the series has captured me with it's lore and characters. But the reason I'm on this tech board is because I'm somewhat of a,"video game masochist(?)." My first interaction with Touhou was through my (ex-ish?)boyfriend and I immediately caught interest. However I love difficulty in games,and I wanted harder. So I got a program to run my Logitech Joystick as my arrow keys and played Touhou 15 on Lunatic. My problem however is that I wanted harder and more...ludicrous. I now have in my possession a Sega Dreamcast fishing rod controller,but my usual program won't respond to it. I was hoping maybe some people here could help me figure it out?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:32:38 PM by Annawoo »
The Dreamcast Fishing Rod is now my new Prosthetic arm.

Anna

Re: Strange Controllers
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 07:04:38 PM »
Also me being a new user and not knowing how this works and everything I'm kinda screaming internally rn becuase I do not know how to join in on things so ahhhhhhhhhhh

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2020, 07:11:19 PM »
the dreamcast fishing rod is probably one of the more unorthodox controllers out there, so because it was designed for very limited use (and is pretty obscure), most mapping programs such as joy2key don't natively support it. maybe if you were really dedicated you could hire a technician and give them a lot of money so they could analyze and design an adapter for it, but that would probably be excessive.

if you want a more difficult touhou experience, there's always arbitrarily imposed limitations and ultra patches. not sure if touhou 15 has an ultra patch yet, but there's the black label version with scarcer resources and faster bullets

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 07:56:48 PM »
I have a feeling you might have trouble finding people who have experience playing Touhou with a fishing rod controller. :D

I can't really offer any advice other than trying different programs if your "usual" (you could name it at least) doesn't work. Did you try AntiMicro?

Anna

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 09:06:18 PM »
the dreamcast fishing rod is probably one of the more unorthodox controllers out there, so because it was designed for very limited use (and is pretty obscure), most mapping programs such as joy2key don't natively support it. maybe if you were really dedicated you could hire a technician and give them a lot of money so they could analyze and design an adapter for it, but that would probably be excessive.

if you want a more difficult touhou experience, there's always arbitrarily imposed limitations and ultra patches. not sure if touhou 15 has an ultra patch yet, but there's the black label version with scarcer resources and faster bullets

good thing I just ordered this lol
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Dreamcast-Controller-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00K7YK0YA

Anna

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 09:10:05 PM »
I have a feeling you might have trouble finding people who have experience playing Touhou with a fishing rod controller. :D

I can't really offer any advice other than trying different programs if your "usual" (you could name it at least) doesn't work. Did you try AntiMicro?

Antimicro is what I usually use but a few people tried to tell me it wouldn't work for Dreamcast stuff (I'm still suspicious of their knowledge of it) I apologize for not saying the program though,Antimicro usually works so I'll be surprised if it doesn't. I figured better safe than sorry which is why I asked.

Anna

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 09:18:37 PM »
But after the dreamcast fishing rod,I'm thinking about trying to use a NES Gun or maybe getting my hands on a power glove,I'm open to suggestions lmao

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
Oh, so you haven't actually tried it yet. Let us know how it went when you do, then.

A NES Gun won't work, it's a very simple device that can only be used with games specifically made for it (and only with CRT displays).

There's a program that lets you use a mouse, might be worth a try:
https://github.com/hwei/ThMouse
https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php?topic=11045.0

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2020, 02:38:49 AM »
Touhou on DDR dancepad.
Not the most original idea but probably still strange enough to be worth it.

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 07:41:22 AM »
good thing I just ordered this lol
https://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Dreamcast-Controller-Converter-Adapter/dp/B00K7YK0YA

while i'm not sure it will work with the fishing rod or just a standard dreamcast controller, if it does, i'd be very interested to know what it translates the reeling movement into. be sure to let me know if it works

Anna

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 11:16:27 AM »
Touhou on DDR dancepad.
Not the most original idea but probably still strange enough to be worth it.

Easy enough to do,I'd just have to find another controller for the non-movement buttons but I have a Katana controller I'm gonna buy and it's gonna be very very very fun. Iirc I saw a DDR Dancepad at a thrift store near me. Maybe I'll get the guitar hero drumset! Idk I just love this stuff

Anna

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
while i'm not sure it will work with the fishing rod or just a standard dreamcast controller, if it does, i'd be very interested to know what it translates the reeling movement into. be sure to let me know if it works

I got the adapter this morning in the mail before I left for work,I'll mess with it later at home and tell you the results

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
Still waiting for someone to use one of these to play touhou   ;)

Cirno the Ice Fairy~

Lebon14

• You can hear Momiji awoo in the distance
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2020, 05:42:12 PM »
Maybe you could use a DDR Dance pad?

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2020, 05:44:36 PM »
With this you could play VIVIT-99 all by yourself!

Anna

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
With this you could play VIVIT-99 all by yourself!

That'd be awesome,Imagine hooking up 99 computers to a single controller lmao

Anna

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2020, 09:09:24 PM »
The fishing rod works with the adapter and Antimicro is reading it as a device

Anna

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2020, 12:29:52 PM »
It worked Now I will play Touhou 11 on a Dreamcast Fishing rod when I get home from work.

Devidovo

• h
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Devidovo#1776
    • Steam
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 02:36:55 PM »

touhou in real life
  round and round and round