Author Topic: What non-Touhou things remind you of Touhou?  (Read 10927 times)

Goomba98

• The Kinda Chestnut-Looking Guy
  • In the process of getting a new lease on life.
    • TheGoomba98#9202
    • Steam
What non-Touhou things remind you of Touhou?
« on: May 10, 2021, 07:48:20 PM »
I've always found that one of the things I like most about Touhou is that, much like SpongeBob, it's always relevant - in other words, a lot of things that aren't Touhou still remind me of Touhou in some way, shape or form. So I felt like this new iteration of MotK needs something a lot like the "You know you're addicted to Touhou when..." threads of the past, as I really liked those threads, but I decided to give this one a title that better reflects its purpose as a "Touhouholics Anonymous" thread more than one of those lame "You know you're addicted to X when you think Y in real life" threads that are on other forums.

Some things that I've seen recently that remind me of Touhou would be:
  • In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's adventure mode, two of the bosses in the Dark World are Dracula from Castlevania and Marx from Kirby. Because those two bosses happen to be a legendary vampire and a being with crystalline bat wings, I sometimes like to think of them as the Scarlet Sisters (but with Flandre wearing Clownpiece's hat for some reason).
  • The beginning of Calyrex's leitmotif from Pokémon Sword and Shield sounds a lot like the beginning of both Strange Bird of the Moon, Illusion of Mysterious Cat and The Reversed Wheel of Fortune.
  • In Chuggaaconroy's LP of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, he noted how the plot of the game is a lot like that of the Delta Episode from Pokémon ORAS, given the meteor and the involvement of Rayquaza and Deoxys, but other things about the plot, like the fact that it involves natural disasters happening, that a Pokémon with earthquake and (limited) weather powers (i. e. Groudon) is a major late-game boss, and that the final battle takes place in the sky (much like Tenshi's debut in SWR) against a dragon Pokémon that has godlike powers and a relation to weather (much like Gensokyo's own Dragon God) reminded me a lot more of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Not to mention Chugga accusing Whiscash of causing the natural disasters because of the banned anime episode involving Whiscash and earthquakes, but I knew there was a deeper reason for that in the form of the legendary Namazu.
So what are your experiences with being reminded of Touhou? Do tell!

Lebon14

• You can hear Momiji awoo in the distance
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
Re: What non-Touhou things remind you of Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 10:17:17 PM »
Anything magical, otherwordly, etc. that has or could have a connection to Touhou. I know that's pretty broad because that's how I work. "Hmm, that must be a youkai" - I think that a lot.

2J

• Photograph of Wonderland
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 09:16:27 AM »
Flowers. I oftenly assimilate flowers to some characters.
Lily of the valley for exemple(it's a tradition in France, the 1st May is associated with this flower. The day of my name is also the 1st May, as a matter of fact.) I instantly think of Medicine.
Also, sunflower has always been my favorite flower, since before touhou. When I see a sunflower field, I can't help but think of Yuuka.
Cherry blossoms are other things that makes me think of a character, Yuyuko. I know it's a typical thing of Japan, but the fight with Yuyuko impressed me so much that I think of her when I see cherry blossoms.

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:11:24 AM »
Metal music. For as long as I remember, I loved my music to be intense, which was classical for awhile, then I discovered death and black metal when I was like 10, and... Err. I dislike vocals and vocalists. Black metal and Death metal have a bad rep for having weird ass vocals, but it didn't bug me because I hated all vocals (I think it's an autism spectrum thing. I generally don't advertise it for an excuse, but this isn't an excuse, it's a taste, so I openly admit it), and as a matter of fact they bugged me less because the volume of the vocalist in that form of music was generally much less compared to the rest of t he band than every other form of vocalist (despite them  screaming at the top of their lungs). I wished there was a genre of metal like death or black metal with no vocalist at all though despite them offending me the least of all the music genres with vocalists. Touhou fan-music was my first exposure to actually GREAT metal with NO vocals. I know it's not limited to Touhou, but I never would have found it without it. so every time I find good metal, Touhou is my gold-standard.

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2021, 07:47:38 AM »
I autocomplete certains song with Touhou song when parts that are similar familiar to parts of Touhou songs plays out. For example, I watched Howl's moving castle again after a LONG while, and when I heard the main theme play, and my mind autocompleted the song with Cirno's theme (after the 12th second of the Utube video)

Tengukami

• Crow Tengu Reporter
  • nothing is ever off the record
    • andie.sophia
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2021, 03:07:23 PM »
15 years in this fandom has overlayed so much of my perception of such everyday things as yin-yang orbs, witches, and the number 9.

Not that I'm complaining ofc

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Goomba98

• TheGoomba98#9202
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2021, 05:10:38 PM »
Here's something else about Pokémon SwSh that I forgot to put in the original post here: You know the whole "Gym Leader Bea is Galarian Youmu Konpaku" thing that popped up when she and Allister were revealed? Well, since I played Shield rather than Sword, I didn't get to fight Galarian Youmu, but I did get to fight Galarian Letty Whiterock, a.k.a. Gym Leader Melony. Why is Melony Letty? Well, besides the ice association, she's kinda plump in terms of physique, which reminds me of the "fat Letty" meme, and in the postgame where you have to fight Dynamaxed Pokémon in each of the gyms, the one in Melony's gym is a Froslass. You know, the yuki-onna Pokémon?

And going further with the Youmu association, the Isle of Armor update told us that Dojo Master Mustard was the former Fighting-type Gym Leader, which probably means he was the predecessor to Bea. That made me think that Mustard must be Galarian Youki Konpaku! Crazy to think about, huh?

EDIT: Oh, and now, a while after I first made this post, I found out that in the Japanese version of the Pokémon: Twilight Wings anime, Allister (a.k.a. Galarian Youmu's ghost half) is voiced by Ryo Hirohashi. Most people probably know her for voicing Miles "Tails" Prower, but I know her more for voicing Youmu in Koumajou Densetsu 2. The Youmu connections never stop!

But enough of that for now. Here's something not Pokémon-related: in Mario Party 2's Horror Land, there's a couple of instruments standing by one of the paths in the board. They're a piano, a violin and a trumpet, and at nighttime, they start playing by themselves. It's almost as if they're being played by a trio of poltergeists... (Though this one is more Hilarious in Hindsight, since Mario Party 2 predates PCB by 4 years.)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2021, 08:22:46 PM by Goomba98 »

OkuuFallout

• Master of Molecul- I mean atoms. Master of Atoms
    • Twitter
    • 東方偽現実 〜 Cruelty of Verisimilar Existence - An in-progress Yukari fanfiction
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »
There was that one Bugs Bunny meme with him wearing a formal suit. When I just saw it recently, my mind immediately went to Reisen.

OkuuFallout

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2021, 03:38:28 PM »
Kind of the opposite, but when I first heard Sanae's MoF theme, "Faith is for the Transient People", that first part reminded me of the main theme for Sonic Unleashed. I don't think I'll ever be able to hear the theme from the game where Sonic turns into a werewolf the same again.

OkuuFallout

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2021, 06:45:07 PM »
Just finished an anime called Kill la Kill (and if you're gonna watch it, be prepared for moderate fan-service). The main character, Ryuko Matoi, looks almost exactly like a certain character in Touhou. Furthermore, the anime came out about 2 months after the Touhou game with said similar character came out about 2 months before the debut of this anime. And if you're wondering that Kill La Kill came first because the manga usually comes out before the anime, this anime was an original work.

Anyway, look at this:
[ Attachment: You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Madame Emiko

• Shingon-mitama no Kuusou Tenshi
  • Artistic Talent in Full Bloom!
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 09:54:09 AM »
Wait I thought that Allister looks more like genderbend Galarian Satori Komeiji + Hata no Kokoro?

Here's the explanation why I think so:

-Both Allister and Satori rarely interacts with people (or even their peers, except for certain non-human beings that people usually afraid of (in Satori's case, she befriends youkai animals, while that Allister seems to befriend ghosts of deceased Pokemon at cemeteries)). Also, both are 4th bosses of their respective games. The attire of Satori and Allister is somewhat similar (minus the differences between the pants and the skirt and the frilly things on the shirt): long-sleeved shirts with wide sleeves.

-For the Kokoro part, Allister's color scheme is pretty similar to one of Hata no Kokoro's alternate color palettes in the fighting games. Also, both are associated with masks, and is almost never seen without a mask on.

Thinking of Allister as Galarian Myon is pretty weird, especially when there are two readily-available characters in Touhou that already shares a lot of similarities with him.
Hope you found this useful.

Goomba98

• TheGoomba98#9202
    • Steam
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2022, 01:33:42 AM »
I really don't think that thinking of Allister as Galarian Myon is weird at all - he's the Ghost-type user and version counterpart to Galarian Youmu (who being a Fighting-type user is comparable to the real Youmu's martial prowess), why shouldn't he be thought of as Myon?

And you thinking of Allister as Kokoro is kinda a stretch - having to look at an alternate palette to find visual similarities is weird; and why do you say "Kokoro is almost never seen without a mask on" when you can ALWAYS see her face?

You do make a good point with Allister being comparable to Satori, but I would've been more likely to think that if Allister was a Psychic-type user rather than a Ghost-type user.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 01:37:21 AM by Goomba98 »

Madame Emiko

• Shingon-mitama no Kuusou Tenshi
  • Artistic Talent in Full Bloom!
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 02:21:38 PM »
Goomba98, actually this is based on my justifications:

- While Kokoro's face can be seen unlike Allister, in fact like Allister, she is almost never seen without wearing a mask on her head's side, akin to how Allister is almost never seen without a mask on in public. Also, Kokoro is a menreiki, which can equates to a tsukumogami of masks, and tsukumogami are classified as "ghosts" by Western standards, thus probably forms another link between her and Allister.

- Also, both Satori and Allister are short people (Satori is depicted as such in fan works due to her awkwardly "short" arms). Also note that her pet Rin also seen carrying around a wagon of vengeful spirits, thus forming another distant link to Allister.

I know that most of the fanbase associated him with the Myon, but believe me, I don't want to associate him with that since the sight of a wispy BLOB with a creepy mask and bobbed hair is too much for me to handle.

Please don't be mad at me for this. This is just my opinions on him and his associations with Touhou characters.