~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center

Foul Detective Satori web-manga discussion thread.

<< < (9/15) > >>

Lebon14:
Yeah, it's a really interesting chapter. Thanks for the write-up, SusPerson

Suspicious person:
VERY late, but chapter 14 has apparently been out for quite a while now. Haven't had a "proper" chapter these last december releases so I'm quite surprised by this one.

Got a bunch of "meta" things to say about stuff that aren't related to the Eternal Criminal's actions, but when it comes to this latest chapter 14, as expected the shadowy figures were indeed Marisa and Mokou, and the Eternal Criminal's strike coinciding with their intrusion is quite incriminitating, moreso than expected.

Since Marisa got captured but Mokou (as the omniscient narrator says) escaped, it is reasonable to expect the Eternal Criminal to have clung onto Mokou for her getaway. Imo, all the weird attention given to Reimu's weird behavior (like c'mon girl, you've kicked a dozen of godly asses, why get scared of a vengeful spirit) is the usual red herring. My expectation would be that things went this way !

- Probably possessed Marisa meets Mokou
- Probably possessed Marisa and Mokou go to Eientei + try to break in
- Probably not possessed Marisa gets captured, possessed Mokou gets out with the Eternal Criminal

I REALLY hope that something of consequence is finally gonna happen with the next Satori - Captured Marisa confrontation instead of some kind of repeat of Chapter 9.5, else things gets way too repetitive, and repetitiveness + that molasses pacing is not gonna make for the most pleasant of reading experiences.

As for the Eientei folks, I think this last chapter makes them look really bad since the Eternal Criminal got to do her thing again ... think about it : you have EIRIN (the same Eirin who helped establish the Lunar Capital, who figured the heroines's plot and counteracted it in SSiB, who masterfully handled LoLK from the comfort of her home, who is basically one of the smartest people in the series) : freaking Eirin gets warned ahead of time, gets challenged by the perpetrator, even gets a proper schedule for when the thing is gonna happen and still gets owned (outsmarted) ?! Even if they're immortals, letting her princess get in harm's way is not exactly great optics imo. The Eternal Criminal is clearly being built up as this masterful schemer of sorts, but outsmarting freaking Yukari and Eirin in the same week is dangerously bordering Mary Sue territory. No matter what happen, by the time she gets revealed, she BETTER be a major league player kind of character in Gensokyo, else everyone else will end up looking like a bunch of frauds.

Besides that, a few, uh, weird takeaways ?
- Reisen "S" Inaba dangerously looking like she need a fat serving of those holy hand grenades, she has always been considered to be the only "normal" girl of this series (bar her crappy naming sense), but ... uhhh, I can't help but wonder if she's gonna be as unhinged in her future appearances. Hopefully not (unless you're into that, in which case more power to you)
- They're nerfing Satori too much :((((
- Satori casually storing suspicious craniums inside her desk, some questions could be asked here, but I doubt anyone would want to hear the answers. Also Orin best dog

nintendonut888:
I'm just going to drop my crazy theory here while there's time:

The possessed is Reisen, and the person behind the door is not actually Marisa. It has been established in past works that among the things Reisen can do with her ability to manipulate waves is to manipulate sound waves - even claiming that she could communicate with rats using ultrasonic sound if she wanted to. It's well possible that she can essentially function as a voice changer. Now, to what end she would be doing this, I don't know, but the first chapter made a point about how the Criminal can make use of her victim's powers, with Reimu musing about "powers she doesn't understand," so it's made me suspicious of Reisen, whose powers would be nasty in the hands of such a villain.

Also, for what it's worth, Reisen developing sadistic tendencies as a response to her long-term mistreatment is one of the less surprising character development moments. I'm more surprised it'd be directly depicted. Her scenario in AoCF proved my long-held suspicion that she's basically one bad day away from snapping.

And lastly, I'm kind of surprised that a Lunarian would fall into a coma after being drained by the criminal. I was under the impression that Lunarians are closer to humans than most supernatural beings, but I suppose they've ascended far enough beyond human that they're still considered spiritual beings.

Suspicious person:
Chapter 15 out for a while, hmm.

Nothing much happens in there, aside from a big surprise at the end
The whole talk with Marisa trying to make Reimu look suspicious doesn't seem to add much imo considering how suspicious Marisa is already. And if you consider the fact that she also popped in the bamboo forest to look for Mokou in order to help her find Reimu, with no hint about where Reimu might've gone ? Yeah, all this possessed Reimu talk is honestly a red herring, like I've previously suggested ...

Anyway, while the smarter characters supposedly know the motives of the villain (unlike us filthy readers), honestly the endgame of the Vengeful Spirit is what interest me the most : what is there to gain by antagonizing all the major players aside from one hell of a whallop by the end of the series ? This seems to me like a legitimate question since she also seems to make her future target obvious (meaning allowing future targets to prepare)

So like aside from giving Reimu a bad time, does she gain something from all of this ? Like, at the very least empowering herself with the magic power she stole ? Cuz honestly temporarily disabling people doesn't seem terribly scary to me, and, again, antagonizing the major players is reasonably not gonna end well for her ...

Anyway, when it comes to the surprising ending of this chapter 15, the only possibility that does pop in my miserable mind is the scenario where a possessed Mokou intercepted Satori in her way to get the truth out of Marisa, and left her in quite the miserable state.

Marisa being quite suspicious is not exactly in the realm of theorys anymore, but her role in the Vengeful Spirit's plans and whatever info could be gleaned from her via mind reading should be very important : previously we already had that situation where possessed Yukari WARPED HER OUT as Satori & Yuyuko were going to see her at Hakurei Shrine, then possessing & erasing her memories before the Satori-Marisa meeting at Alice's house (Hakugyoukurou arc) ... this time Satori gets freaking dropped on her way to pry the truth out of Marisa ... that is ONE TOO MANY BAILOUTS

Whatever big reveal ZUN is planning to do for this manga has got potential imo, but the freaking slow pacing plus the fact that we still don't know the identity of the big bad cat nearly THREE YEARS into the serialization is quite jarring tbh. The fact that the next "incident" is Touhou 9, considering how much of an outlier Touhou 9 was, really makes me think that we're gonna get a somewhat substantial reveal either at the end of this IN arc or in the next one.

Also, a few minor takeaways :
-Akyuu's headcanon about Mokou being a ninja is lowkey appropriate
-The radiance of Eientei cuisine is only matched by the Eirin's forehead
-Extremely rare instance of bodily injury (not some super brutal ones thankfully), AND it's on a beloved character, they're REALLY nerfing Satori way too much :((((

nintendonut888:
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, I think you may be misreading something from the Hakugyokurou arc. The timeline I see the possessions in that arc is:

>Yukari gets ambushed by the criminal and possessed
>Yukari's gaps are used to attack Alice and drain her
>Presumably, while Yukari is still compromised, she is repossessed and takes Marisa to Alice's house. Possibly just to taunt everyone and show another victim has been taken?
>Yukari is drained and abandoned, where she then revives enough to go see Reimu

It's confirmed that Marisa was possessed when she visited Hakugyokurou, but there's no indication she has been possessed a second time. If she had, she wouldn't remember going to Alice's house, and only one person can be possessed at a time.

Also for what it's worth, Satori being bad at fighting has always been a thing. I forget the exact source but ZUN always envisioned her as someone not great at fighting, and Koishi implies as such in SA extra as well. Symposium of Post-Mysticism also seemed to imply that Satori may less be "sealed away" underground so much as she's taken refuge there to get away from humans. I read her strain at reading minds to be more of a psychological limit than a physical one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version