~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center

Foul Detective Satori web-manga discussion thread.

<< < (8/15) > >>

Suspicious person:
https://twitter.com/thgairai/status/1431869577525297163

A bit late, but it has been announced that the Mima manga the Detective Satori manga is set to resume serialization.

Not much detail is known aside from there being a new artist handling the art, and we're gonna have to wait for the end of next month (september) for updates on who that artist is gonna be and when the serialization will restart for real.

So yeah, it's been like what, 5 - 6 months of wait or something ? At any rate, I hope things are gonna go well and the new person isn't gonna get crapped on too hard over their artstyle, and also get ZUN to confirm for real if the Eternal Criminal is that villainous ghost who has been eternally absent from 2hu titles for a long time or not

Branneg Xy:

--- Quote from: Suspicious person on August 30, 2021, 03:19:36 PM ---https://twitter.com/thgairai/status/1431869577525297163

A bit late, but it has been announced that the Mima manga the Detective Satori manga is set to resume serialization.

Not much detail is known aside from there being a new artist handling the art, and we're gonna have to wait for the end of next month (september) for updates on who that artist is gonna be and when the serialization will restart for real.

So yeah, it's been like what, 5 - 6 months of wait or something ? At any rate, I hope things are gonna go well and the new person isn't gonna get crapped on too hard over their artstyle, and also get ZUN to confirm for real if the Eternal Criminal is that villainous ghost who has been eternally absent from 2hu titles for a long time or not

--- End quote ---

Serialization has resumed on 25/10 (Comic Walker vet. )
https://comic-walker.com/viewer/tw=2&dlcl=ja&cid=KDCW_AM21201276010016_68
under the new graphic direction of" Akimaki Yuu(Twitter Profile) https://twitter.com/youkia2237 "

Suspicious person:
I'm pretty satisfied that the series is back, and am quite okay with this new artstyle.

However, here's a few nitpicks pertaining to a bunch of details :
- Character designs are not like exactly like how they were previously : most glaring example being Meiling's clothes in the recap : these are not her clothes in the SDM arc ; the lack of [[HeartShapedObject]] around Satori's neck, unlike the previous Satori design with the previous artist, but instead the somewhat "usual" noose like design of the 3rd eye arteries ; and Satori's hair being much neat instead of messy like normal
- The lack of title card for character introductions : we get Eirin, Kaguya, Reisen the first, and even Mokou, but no title card to introduce any of them, unlike how it was usually done for the previous arcs, or even how it's like in other 2hu mangas

Be that as it may, I'm quite satisfied with what we have.

As for the plot and speculations, the most sus thing in the chapter would be the unidentified person who came to talk to Mokou towards the end of this chapter 12. Since we're clearly in the IN arc, possible candidates for who that person could be should be Keine, Tewi, or even Marisa, if we go by people Mokou is familiar with. I personally think it should be a possessed Marisa. She has already been possessed a few times before (according to Satori's speculations) so imo there's no reason for the spirit to come back to her. Although I can't exactly see where things are gonna go from here.

Anyway, I've reread the series and came up with a little mini theory (that might be wrong according to chapter 9.5). First of all, let's try to outline a timeline of possessions made by the Eternal Criminal in the SDM case, AND mention the events following said possessions plus mentioning certain facts that may or may not be relevant :

In the SDM arc :
1 - Sakuya gets possessed ; serves Patchouli very suspicious coffee ; Patchouli gets KO'ed and possessed
2 - A Satori-free investigation happens ; non-possessed Sakuya gets imprisonned ; possessed Patchouli still in the bed and under surveillance
3 - Patchouli wakes up ; library gets investigated ; weapon of crime (coffee mug) is gone
4 - Patchouli tampers with Meiling's tea at some point ; Sakuya uses her get-out-of-jail oujo-sama ; Meiling gets KO'ed ; Sakuya found in the kitchen but not in jail
5 - The Eternal Criminal leaves Meiling at some point before Flandre attacks her and the detective arrives

Not sure if it's a particularly important detail or a completely irrelevant one, but imo the coffee mug disappearing is pretty interesting since around the time it happened, the Eternal Criminal has to be inside Patchouli for her to tamper Meiling's tea later on ... imo, the logical explanation for this would be that the Eternal Criminal had an outside accomplice. So who could it have been ?

Here's the thing : with the benefit of hindsight, we know that the Eternal Criminal target the Reimu / the Hakurei Shrine for some reason : Patchouli getting attacked is none of Reimu's business whatsoever, yet Marisa comes to Reimu and tells her what happened, AND even goes as far as to exaggerate the fact to get Reimu involved (despite Reimu expressing her lack of interest and later Sakuya mentionning that it's none og her business).

This is definitely something that didn't go public, and the people who are aware of what happened are clearly aware of the state Patchouli is in (that is, comatose and out of energy, but definitely NOT dead) : how come Marisa was aware that something happened to Patchouli BUT still got the facts wrong ? (chapter 1) Kinda sus if you ask me. And also, back to the weapon of crime disappearing, that is mentionned after Patchouli wakes up (but is still possessed) and check the library with Reimu and Remi (chapter 3). Before that, however, when everyone was gathered so that Orin could reveal the culprit, Reimu and Marisa, SDM outsiders, were there for some reason (chapter 1) ...

I wouldn't be surprised if Marisa came to the library to borrow a bunch of stuff INCLUDING the coffee mug. The possibility of someone sneaking into the library and taking books has even been mentionned by Remilia (when she is checking the library with Reimu and the possessed Patchouli), and most certainly refers to Marisa when she talks about burglars since Marisa's hat is the image we got at that moment.

(The simplest coffee explanation would be that possessed Sakuya cleaned it up before going into Patchouli for real, but the coffee spil still being there while Patchouli is KO in the very first page kinda goes against that imo)

Anyway, it should be obvious that I'm saying that Marisa giving some off that 3rd impostor energy.
But before debunking it with whazt chapter 9.5 says, let's continue that line of thought for a bit :

In the PCB arc :
1 - Possessed Marisa arrives with some booze; drinks with Yuyuko ; Yuyuko gets possessed and drained
2 - Yukari enters the fray ; discusses the situation with Reimu and Marisa
2.5 - At some point, and with the benefit of hindsight, Yukari gets possessed sometime around here ; manages to save a bit of power for later use
3 - Possessed Yukari orders Shikigami to round up ALL of the netherworld's phantom populace ; disappears sometimes after
4 - Yuyuko wakes up, goes with Satori to Hakurei Shrine to look up for Marisa ; on the way, in the forest of magic, Satori picks on traces of the Eternal Criminal's thoughts ; Satori and Yuyuko arrives at the Hakurei Shrine to look for Marisa, but Possessed Yukari just picks up Marisa and send her to the forest of magic
5 - Satori and Yuyuko raises suspicion on Marisa & reveal the Eternal Criminal's true target (Reimu) ; Hakurei Shrine enters lockdown
6 - Netherworld phantoms rounded up, Satori doesn't find the Eternal Criminal there
7 - Marisa takes care of Alice (cute); gets caught and interrogated by Satori, Yuyuko, and a very smug Youmu ; Satori mention that it's obvious that she helped the Eternal Criminal get aroung, but aside from inconsistent memories that proves that Marisa has been possessed before, nothing consequential comes from this ; Marisa reveals that while she came to Alice's house of her own volition, Possessed Yukari was the one who sent her here
8 - Back to the netherworld, Satori tells the Shikigamis that Yukari has been possessed & they should look for her ; Satori tells Marisa she doesn't know if her possession has been planned
9 - Yukari (not possessed anymore) comes to Reimu, tells what she thinks the Eternal Criminal's motives and next target are ; Reimu is back in the action, leaves Hakurei Shrine and flies off to Eientei
10 - Marisa reaches Hakurei Shrine ; Can't find Reimu ; suspects a still-possessed-Yukari targeted her ; leaves off ... destination unclear

A very convoluted and confusing arc. However, this arc has something that goes against my 3rd impostor Marisa theory in its Marisa monologues of chapter 8 and 10 and especially the Marisa - Satori confrontation in 9.5 ... this too, however, made me come up with another reflexion / theory regarding the Eternal Criminal's ability : back in the SDM case, Sakuya is revealed to have no memory of making the coffee whatsoever, while Patchouli does remember tampering with Meiling's tea ... imo, the Eternal Criminal's memory affecting powers are not properly clarified. I wouldn't be surprised if the Eternal criminal's memory erasing abilities reached much further in order to allow what I assume a villainous Marisa to seem innocent in front of Satori.

Also, it's kinda weird to me too that Marisa would just bolt out of Hakurei Shrine to search for Reimu (instead of just waiting there). Searching all over Gensokyo makes no sense either. There shouldn't be any reason for Marisa to know where to look if she was going to depend on Reimu's intuition to begin with. It's weird that she would move decisively like that. Maybe the Eternal Criminal have some suggestion abilities too ? Kinda gratuitous here, but food for thought ...

And even if you put that aside, before possessed Yukari takes Marisa away in step 4, Satori has already felt the Eternal Criminal's thoughts in the FOREST OF MAGIC. Marisa's turf. Why would she stay there ? Perhaps to stay close to her accomplice ? At any rate, I'd say the Eternal Criminal's presence in the Forest of Magic is more important than Alice getting possessed : why it settled around there is kinda suspicious.

And finally, and this happens in the beginning, just before Yukari gets possessed, she MEETS UP WITH REIMU AND MARISA. The fact that apparently Marisa seems to be the Eternal Criminal's favorite possession target is a bit of a red flag too.

Even the Satori - Marisa confrontation in 9.5, which should have absolved her, is kinda weird too, if you consider the discrepancies between some of Marisa's statements and reality (specifically her arrival in Hakugyokurou and meetup with Yuyuko) : possessed or not, that was just incorrect. Sakuya and Patchouli just don't remember stuff instead of getting confused like that.

I initially thought Youmu was possessed in the PCB arc, but after giving a bit more thought, Marisa is much more suspicious than her.

Anyway, bottom line, here's what I think the manga isn't telling us :
- The Eternal Criminal's got an accomplice in Marisa
- The Eternal Criminal's possession effects on memories are not just simple forgetfulness, and might be more
- Marisa's status in general : unwilling helper or an accomplice with mysterious motives ?
- The Eternal Criminal is Mima

On the new arc, a few comments too : the girls mention that the Eternal Criminal might become really dangerous if she possess someone with a really dangerous ability, but imo, that's not really correct. The Eternal Criminal has already possessed Sakuya and Yukari, two characters whose abilities pretty much allow them to do what they want : if the Eternal Criminal had sinister objetives towards Reimu, she could've totally gone for it. And if the Marisa being a bad girl theory is correct, I still wouldn't believe that Marisa would harm her bestie. It would be extremely suspicious too if the shadow figure we see towards the end of chapter 12 turns out to be Marisa, considering all that ...

Lebon14:
Great write-up, Suspicious person.
Also great summary.

I love the new artist.

Suspicious person:
Latest chapter 13 is now out ! Dunno if it's just me, but it feels to me like there's been quite the mood shift ever since the new artist took over. Dunno if it's just the artstyle or the story this time

Anyway, as expected, the shadowy figure is indeed Marisa ... I might be a bit biaised in finding her suspicious (considering what I previously brought up), but honestly I think this should solidify Marisa's position as being closer to the side of the no gooders than on the side of those who are actually helpful this time around ...

It's EXTREMELY WEIRD and suspicious that Marisa would straight up go to the bamboo forest to look for Reimu, and even enlist Mokou's help to try to search for her, as if it was certain that Reimu was in the bamboo forest ... Marisa believes that a still-possessed-Yukari took Reimu away, but we, as readers, we know that Yukari shouldn't be possessed anymore around the time she contacted Reimu, and couldn't have transmited the vengefulona spiritus to Reimu since they didn't share a drink, so we should know from the onset that Marisa's theory is wrong. But for her to suppose that Reimu would pop up in the forest and more specifically in Eientei makes no sense : if she suspects Yukari, why go to the bamboo forest ?! And also, what connection could there be between Yukari theorically kidnapping Reimu then somehow sending her elsewhere ? That makes no sense at all, UNLESS Marisa is in on whatever plot the baddie's got this time.

Marisa's insistence on getting in Eientei (despite being rejected by Reisen and the guards), along with the fact that she strung Mokou along with her puts me on the side of the people who believe that the two shadowy figures at the end of the chapter should be Marisa and Mokou (especially since one of them has a long staff-like thing that ought to be a broom)

The only mystery in this chapter to me is the letter : how did it find it's way in there ? But considerin gthat Yukari was the last known character to be possessed before this, it's possible that she would be used as an explanation (there could be other ones tbh)

Marisa is most definitely extremely suspicious and has been of more help to the Vengeful spirit than the investigation efforts. IF she indeed turns out to be one of the shadowy figures, then her planning her break-in 30 minutes before what's stipulated in the letter doesn't do her any favors. My assumption is still the same here she is an accomplice, but the question I have remains the same too, still : is she a willing helper or an unwitty accomplice who's been controled in some way or another ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version