Author Topic: How to contact the man himself, ZUN?  (Read 593 times)

How to contact the man himself, ZUN?
« on: March 21, 2022, 06:04:02 PM »
Ever since I became a fan of Touhou back 5 years ago, I always wanted to contact ZUN and ask him questions about how he comes up with the processes of making his games (both the mainline bullet hell ones and the spinoff fighting game ones) and wanted to collaborate with him in some extent.

I know that ZUN has an old blogging website called Shanghai Alice, but has since moved onto the Touhou Yomoyama News website, which is far more organised. On that new website, there is a place at the bottom of website where someone can send a 'request', which I'm not sure if it means directly to ZUN himself or someone representing him.

I also know that he has an email address (zun@big.jp), but I am not sure whether thats outdated from his old website days, or if he still uses it even now.

For those of you who have tried contacting or messaging ZUN before, please let me know how it went, or whether he replied or not.

And thank you in advance!

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
Re: How to contact the man himself, ZUN?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2022, 07:43:01 PM »
while i cannot speak from personal experience, i can offer some advice based mostly on common sense:
  • the site should in any case be a good means of contact. while there's no guarantee that ZUN himself will be the first person to see it (i.e. there's probably an intermediary handling the e-mails) if your questions are directed specifically at him, i see no reason it wouldn't be forwarded to him. there's also his twitter, but i'd imagine that this is less reliable given he probably receives many miscellaneous private messages from fans and is too busy to read everything.
  • of course, your message should be in proper japanese in order to maximize the chance at any response.
  • you have to take into account that touhou project is much bigger than in the early-to-mid 2000-s (which is iirc when most of the old e-mail correspondences, at least out of those available publicly, happened), and he might just not have the time to answer every fan question. while there's no reason not to give it a shot, remember to always be respectful :)
even if he doesn't reply, there's a number of interviews archived online from which you might be able to gather the information you seek. and though i hate to be negative nancy, i will say that:
collaborate with him in some extent.
at any rate you probably shouldn't get your hopes very high up for this. if you're talking about working with ZUN in the context of touhou project, the best way to receive his blessing would be to create good fan content and just hope he comes across it.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2022, 10:32:03 PM »
Thanks so much for your reply! I've read through all your points thoroughly, and I must say, I was perhaps a little too optimistic about meeting ZUN. Anyways, I won't give up still! I'm actually producing new fan-made content with my friends right now so here's hoping that ZUN will stumble across 'em.

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
Honestly? The biggest chances of getting a response from him would be to go in person whenever he's on a convention  :meiling: (I think he attends every Comiket and Reitaisai).