Author Topic: You Know You're Addicted To Touhou When- Volume 10: Mountain of Faith Edition!  (Read 6930 times)

Cybeast710

• Lost And Found Again
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
It's back!

Once again, the premiere place to share every single goddamn reason we all know we are hopeless Touhou addicts (which started as a parody such as the "You know you live in <STATE NAME> when" and then became very much playing it straight) has returned from its slumber on MoTK II!

And I'm here with what is either brand new or fully recycled material. I dunno which, it's been over 5 years.

1. 495 is forever associated with Flandre Scarlet.
2. You dream of your favorite Touhou character.
3. One of your main antagonists in your OCs is still basically Rumia on super steroids.
4. You really have issues fitting in with 'normal' RP'ers after using Touhou as a 'reasonable benchmark' for powers.
5. 9 is forever associated with Cirno.
6. You feel awkward without your ridiculous hat.
7. This number is sponsored by Tewi Inaba.
8. You post at 1 AM on an endless night.
9. You have considered submitting a Touhou game to a speedrunning event, then remember you're not good. Then cry.
He returns!

AngryEclectus

• The '24 Hours a Day, 7 Days a Week' Library
  • Taking it easy
No. 5 and No. 9 should be swapped. Obviously. But I do have those moments when I want to speedrun a Touhou game, then remember I can't even beat Touhou 10 on Normal Mode.

Based on what's said later, I'll do the same thing and edit this whenever I feel the need to rant about something Touhou related that I know no one else would care about, lol

Starting off, I've always wondered how many grimoires and magic books Patchouli wrote. Does she know anything about magics outside of her skill set, like Rumia's night magic?

Also, technically speaking, if Youmu is already half-dead, does that mean she can't fully die? What would happen to her ghost form? Would she just gain full, proper control over her ghost part?
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 04:27:21 AM by AngryEclectus »
"Rat poison, rat poison..."

(ᗜˬᗜ)

Goomba98

• The Kinda Chestnut-Looking Guy
  • In the process of getting a new lease on life.
    • TheGoomba98#9202
    • Steam
Come on, I wanted my own topic for this purpose to be more popular! Why'd you have to usurp it? /kidding

Alright, just let me quote my stuff from that topic...

Some things that I've seen recently that remind me of Touhou would be:
  • In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate's adventure mode, two of the bosses in the Dark World are Dracula from Castlevania and Marx from Kirby. Because those two bosses happen to be a legendary vampire and a being with crystalline bat wings, I sometimes like to think of them as the Scarlet Sisters (but with Flandre wearing Clownpiece's hat for some reason).
  • The beginning of Calyrex's leitmotif from Pokémon Sword and Shield sounds a lot like the beginning of both Strange Bird of the Moon, Illusion of Mysterious Cat and The Reversed Wheel of Fortune.
  • In Chuggaaconroy's LP of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX, he noted how the plot of the game is a lot like that of the Delta Episode from Pokémon ORAS, given the meteor and the involvement of Rayquaza and Deoxys, but other things about the plot, like the fact that it involves natural disasters happening, that a Pokémon with earthquake and (limited) weather powers (i. e. Groudon) is a major late-game boss, and that the final battle takes place in the sky (much like Tenshi's debut in SWR) against a dragon Pokémon that has godlike powers and a relation to weather (much like Gensokyo's own Dragon God) reminded me a lot more of Scarlet Weather Rhapsody. Not to mention Chugga accusing Whiscash of causing the natural disasters because of the banned anime episode involving Whiscash and earthquakes, but I knew there was a deeper reason for that in the form of the legendary Namazu.

Here's something else about Pokémon SwSh that I forgot to put in the original post here: You know the whole "Gym Leader Bea is Galarian Youmu Konpaku" thing that popped up when she and Allister were revealed? Well, since I played Shield rather than Sword, I didn't get to fight Galarian Youmu, but I did get to fight Galarian Letty Whiterock, a.k.a. Gym Leader Melony. Why is Melony Letty? Well, besides the ice association, she's kinda plump in terms of physique, which reminds me of the "fat Letty" meme, and in the postgame where you have to fight Dynamaxed Pokémon in each of the gyms, the one in Melony's gym is a Froslass. You know, the yuki-onna Pokémon?

And going further with the Youmu association, the Isle of Armor update told us that Dojo Master Mustard was the former Fighting-type Gym Leader, which probably means he was the predecessor to Bea. That made me think that Mustard must be Galarian Youki Konpaku! Crazy to think about, huh?

EDIT: Oh, and now, a while after I first made this post, I found out that in the Japanese version of the Pokémon: Twilight Wings anime, Allister (a.k.a. Galarian Youmu's ghost half) is voiced by Ryo Hirohashi. Most people probably know her for voicing Miles "Tails" Prower, but I know her more for voicing Youmu in Koumajou Densetsu 2. The Youmu connections never stop!

But enough of that for now. Here's something not Pokémon-related: in Mario Party 2's Horror Land, there's a couple of instruments standing by one of the paths in the board. They're a piano, a violin and a trumpet, and at nighttime, they start playing by themselves. It's almost as if they're being played by a trio of poltergeists... (Though this one is more Hilarious in Hindsight, since Mario Party 2 predates PCB by 4 years.)

Edits for new stuff start here:

• Touhou has helped me appreciate magic users in fantasy-style settings. As a result, whenever I play an RPG or some other game with character classes and I have a choice between a fighter, a mage, and a thief, I usually pick the mage.
  • Since I haven't seen any Yogi Bear-related stuff, Eika Ebisu's theme "Jelly Stone" instead makes me think about how Eika is designed after the Turritopsis dohrnii jellyfish, and how the Pokémon Nihilego is also based after that jellyfish and is also Rock-type, thus making me half-seriously wonder if Eika is based on Nihilego.
  • Another in the line of recent Touhou/Pokémon comparisons that I like to make is how the recently-revealed Hisuian Growlithe looks a lot more like a komainu than regular Growlithe, immediately making me think of Aunn Komano.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:49:52 AM by Goomba98 »

I'm sorry, but when I see a Silver-haired character in a maid outfit you'll have a hard time convincing me they're not a Sakuya expy or just flat-out Sakuya. Similar things for other character designs. Blue hair with red eyes? Tenshi Hinanai. Non-traditional Miko with brown hair? Reimu. Non-tradtional Miko with purple hair? Definitely Reimu. And don't even get me started on Blonde or Red-haired witches.

Another thing is how I seem to orbit around Touhou. By that I mean that my distance from Touhou and its works fluctuates over time but I always come back to it after a moment. Like it's constantly in the background of my mind.

I'm most likely just going to edit this post whenever I come up with new things rather than make new posts to prevent spam.

latiasred

for a more recent thing, theres this thing called "jellystone" on tv and as one might expect, we just couldnt resist thinking of eikas theme, but no non touhou fan would have any idea what were talking about

we also used to think that playing touhou "improved our dodging skills irl" or something silly like that, and tried dodging just about anything we could to test it out (it didnt work i think)

then theres that fanmade touhou style song, "microintervals of dawn", that causes an entirely different set of issues, but thankfully that doesnt affirm that were addicted to touhou or anything

OkuuFallout

• Master of Molecul- I mean atoms. Master of Atoms
    • Twitter
    • 東方偽現実 〜 Cruelty of Verisimilar Existence - An in-progress Yukari fanfiction
I was scrolling through Youtube when I found a cover of the song "Vampire Killer" by RichaadEB (who has done many Touhou covers). I immediately thought of Remilia and Flandre.

It took me longer than I am willing to admit to realize that that's a Castlevania song.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 10:54:00 PM by OkuuFallout »

OkuuFallout

• Master of Molecul- I mean atoms. Master of Atoms
    • Twitter
    • 東方偽現実 〜 Cruelty of Verisimilar Existence - An in-progress Yukari fanfiction
I caught myself looking into nuclear fusion energy for no particular reason, and my favorite character is Utsuho.

I'm making a new reply because one, it will be seen, and two, a just deleted a topic that was basically the same as this -_-

Beet

• Rin Satsuki Fan
  • You can trust me, definitely!
    • Steam
Sometimes I think I might be too in love with Touhou, but then I see something like this, and it makes me glad I'm only at the level I'm at right now.
B)