~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
Foul Detective Satori web-manga discussion thread.
<< < (11/15) > >>
Suspicious person:
Can't believe Mima's back with a new design AND even a new name ! New girl's apparition is a bit hampered by the medium being a black and white manga cuz we don't know how her color scheme is gonna be like : what's the color of her hair ? The color of her eyes ? Are her clothes really black and white plus a bit of grey for the metallic parts ? Chara design wise, aside from really looking like Shion after a failed burglary attempt, she looks a bit like she could've come from Criminal Girls but much less salacious methinks.

Also she seems to have a bunch of paper dolls with her. Aside from vengeful spirit business, could she be proficient in Onmiyoji techniques ? Since paper dolls are stereotypically associated with these ...

Anyway, I'm a bit less inclined to think that Marisa would collab with the baddie now cuz this girl is a complete stranger of the evil variety. Although Marisa being completely clean would not only be boring but make a number of things look really weird to me, what's with a lot of Marisa - Vengeful Spirit moments plus her actually following the Vengeful Spirit's timing in the Eientei break-in ...

Possession timing with Kaguya inn the Human Village seems also kinda sketchy since she's possessed at the very least Yukari before that, yet Kaguya was already in Eientei when we reach there. While I'd like a clear-and-cut clarification, I kinda suspect that ZUN is probably not gonna give that, hmm.

For this IN arc, my new impression of the timeline for possession would be as such :
- Vengeful Spirit leaves Yukari, possesses Kaguya in the Human Village, probably runs SUPER FAST towards Eientei to prevent plot holes
- Completely not possessed Marisa and not possessed Mokou coincidentally go to Eientei to perfectly act in a manner that's consistent with the Vengeful Spirit's plans ?!?!?!!!!
- Possessed Kaguya pretends to be not possessed Kaguya, suggest a plan to Eirin while trying not to laugh, later pretends to get KO'ed later in order to match the plan that she presented to Eirin when the supposed time for the Vengeful Spirit to strike comes
- Not possessed Marisa gets captured, a propably not possessed Mokou gets out of Eientei
- The Vengeful Spirit sees Satori approaching, gives her a whallop, may or may not have been done while possessing Kaguya
- Possessed Kaguya and a relatively fresh out of Eientei Mokou fight each other (typical), Possessed Kaguya gets defeated, the Vengeful Spirit leaves her
- The Vengeful Spirit and Mokou fight, Mokou gets possessed at the end of it

As for the Vengeful Spirit knowing a bunch of stuff including miscellaneous info she shouldn't know, if I was right about the paper dolls thingy, maybe she uses shikigami too and rely on them to spy around and get intel. Cuz if that is so, then her knowing about all the things that happened on the surface would make more sense.

Her angle is still not sure, but as someone who allegedly comes from an era where there was more chaos in Gensokyo, she most certainly comes from an earlier and more violent period in the history of Gensokyo. And since she is a Vengeful Spirit who seems to have a grudge with the Hakurei Shrine and Gensokyo, maybe back when she was a human, she did plotted or did something really bad that turned the residents of Gensokyo (and the Hakurei Shrine of the time) against her. Who she was as a human and what was her relationship with the Hakurei Shrine might seem suspicious for now, but it should be unraveled in not too long hopefully.

It only took 2 to 3 years for her reveal, but what she is aiming for and how she is gonna get handled is going to take a bit more time. It's quite convenient that the next "incident" is TH 9, which involves afterlife administration people : if any exposition is going to be done, that seems like the perfect time to me.
nintendonut888:
I'm not sure why Kaguya getting to Eientei before Reimu is a plot hole. As vague as Gensokyo geography is, PMiSS made clear that the human village is closer to Eientei than the Hakurei Shrine.

Anyway it pleases me somewhat that more people are finally catching on that this is less of a mystery story and more of a monthly drama serial. I never took seriously the idea that this was a solvable mystery from the moment the spirit's existence was revealed in the first arc, but it seems more people are accepting this as of the newest chapter's developments.
Suspicious person:

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on March 01, 2022, 01:04:06 AM ---I'm not sure why Kaguya getting to Eientei before Reimu is a plot hole.

--- End quote ---
No no no, I didn't say that that's a plot hole, just that the timing between Yukari to Kaguya possession is ridiculously tight, especially since Reimu flew straight to Eientei just after Yukari told her about Newhu's plans.

As for the mystery part, honestly, it's about the first arc and only that that seems like a "proper" mystery one, what's with the various hints presented in there allowing to guess the nature of the culprit (Ex : me, who figured out that the culprit is a spirit that came from the underworld because of Sakuya not knowing she did anything + Chireiden gang's involvement). Fantasy mystery stories generally are limited by the fact that you need established rules & setting to allow the readers to make reasonable guesses but also involving supernatural elements : Touhou, however,  has an established setting that allows it not to suffer from that problem (as I showed in the previous example), but FDS hasn't really done much of what you'd expect from regular Mystery stories for the newer arcs.

Regardless of how the story is currently, the first arc and the "Detective" part of the title really lead one to believe that this is a mystery series, after all what else would a detective be for ? I think it's reasonable to expect a "detective" story to be about resolving a bunch of mysteries as the story progress. However the arcs that follow the SDM one give sudden revelations rather than hinted or guessable events, like the reveal of Yukari having been possessed or Kaguya's possession as she went to the Human Village.

I think that for the reader who came in fresh without knowing how the story is gonna develop in the future (as in everybody who followed this since its inception), the manga is more like a wild goose chase with new unhinted revelations coming one after another : after the latest chapter 16 and with how Satori keeps getting put away from the plot, how the manga is gonna be viewed is obviously gonna change, but I don't think it's appropriate to say that this wasn't a mystery manga from the get go, since that was clearly what it was at the start.

Also, while some possessions were straight up revealed without any hints of any kind, the mystery part of this manga was generally about "who was possessed". While there definitely has been a general change in the tone of this series + a fight scene even, I really don't think ZUN is suddenly gonna transform this into an action manga or throw away the "mystery" part altogether. The motives of Mimain't are still not revealed, and the same goes for the plan she got in store to achieve that. Stuff like figuring how her powers properly work and what are her means (for example how she seems to know stuff she reasonably shouldn't) could potentially require figuring too.
Lebon14:
I love love love the design of Mizuchi. Mima lovers needs to take another huge L.
Also, I wonder where the story will go from here.
Roashiki:
Ch 17

So given the progression of events should we expect Eiki or komachi to be the next victim? I also hope we get to see yuuka since it's been awhile since we've seen her.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version