~Hakurei Shrine~ > Help Me, Eirin!
CAVE is making a Touhou game
(1/4) > >>
KennyMan666:
So you might know CAVE, the company that codified the bullet hell genre with the 1997 DoDonPachi and went on to make some more of the best shmups ever produced, such as DoDonPachi DaiOuJou and Mushihimesama (a fantastic port of which was recently released on the Switch eShop (all regions) for like twenty bucks and will be followed by ports of Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu, so grab it if you haven't already). To this day, Mushihimesama Futari Black Label is the title I come back to when talking about my favourite game of all time.

Anyway.

As part of Touhou's 25th anniversary, CAVE has acquired a license to produce a Touhou game to be released next year (the tweet says they have acquired "the licensing rights of Touhou", which is a bit misleading—they don't own Touhou now, they just have a license to make A game. ZUN is also on record as saying it'll basically be a fangame).

This would be really hype for me, my two favourite shmup things coming together, if not for that it's almost assuredly going to be a mobile game—the latest thing CAVE made that wasn't a mobile game was DoDonPachi Saidaioujou, and that was almost a decade ago. So it'll probably be something like a Touhou version of Gothic wa Mahou Otome, a mobile gacha shmup CAVE released in 2015.

But, hey, maybe we'll at least get some cool character art out of it, and at least worth discussing. I was a little surprised there wasn't a thread for it already.
Suspicious person:
A bit surprised that there aren't a lot of conversation about this tbh

As someone who is a bit on the optimistic side (and also not so big on mobile releases), I'm REALLY tempted to believe that announcement to be about a proper, non mobile Touhou derivative work.

Mobile games may be somewhat notorious for not requiring as much ressources as proper full fledged games in order to develop, but they'll still take some time and ressource from their part ... if the idea was to make use of the Touhou IP as a means to garner interest in what they are planning to release, if it was gonna be a mobile release I believe having something like Touhou character guest appearance or a Touhou crossover inside of their already available mobile game titles make much more sense to me. There are already precedents for Touhou collabs like in Rakugaki Kingdom and Dandy Dungeon (among others), so such thing is feasable and arguably more efficient than developping a whole new mobile Touhou title.

Not saying it's impossible, especially considering CAVE's recent-ish releases, and the fact that a number of their employees from back in their Shmupening days are not there anymore, and the fact that most of the recents announcements of Touhou licensing were generally about mobile titles ; but imo, only something like THE Shmup company making a comeback into the Shmup scene with a game from THE most prolific Shmup Series would prefectly capture the magic of the moment and make the 25th anniversary something a bit more special ...

(dark clouds of skepiticism begoooone, begoooone I say)

I'd still check it out even if it's a mobile game, but c'mon, I just want a super cool game ...
Branneg Xy:

--- Quote from: KennyMan666 on July 19, 2021, 11:29:40 AM ---So you might know CAVE, the company that codified the bullet hell genre with the 1997 DoDonPachi and went on to make some more of the best shmups ever produced, such as DoDonPachi DaiOuJou and Mushihimesama (a fantastic port of which was recently released on the Switch eShop (all regions) for like twenty bucks and will be followed by ports of Espgaluda II and DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu, so grab it if you haven't already). To this day, Mushihimesama Futari Black Label is the title I come back to when talking about my favourite game of all time.

Anyway.

As part of Touhou's 25th anniversary, CAVE has acquired a license to produce a Touhou game to be released next year (the tweet says they have acquired "the licensing rights of Touhou", which is a bit misleading—they don't own Touhou now, they just have a license to make A game. ZUN is also on record as saying it'll basically be a fangame).

This would be really hype for me, my two favourite shmup things coming together, if not for that it's almost assuredly going to be a mobile game—the latest thing CAVE made that wasn't a mobile game was DoDonPachi Saidaioujou, and that was almost a decade ago. So it'll probably be something like a Touhou version of Gothic wa Mahou Otome, a mobile gacha shmup CAVE released in 2015.

But, hey, maybe we'll at least get some cool character art out of it, and at least worth discussing. I was a little surprised there wasn't a thread for it already.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Suspicious person on July 19, 2021, 08:31:25 PM ---A bit surprised that there aren't a lot of conversation about this tbh

As someone who is a bit on the optimistic side (and also not so big on mobile releases), I'm REALLY tempted to believe that announcement to be about a proper, non mobile Touhou derivative work.

Mobile games may be somewhat notorious for not requiring as much ressources as proper full fledged games in order to develop, but they'll still take some time and ressource from their part ... if the idea was to make use of the Touhou IP as a means to garner interest in what they are planning to release, if it was gonna be a mobile release I believe having something like Touhou character guest appearance or a Touhou crossover inside of their already available mobile game titles make much more sense to me. There are already precedents for Touhou collabs like in Rakugaki Kingdom and Dandy Dungeon (among others), so such thing is feasable and arguably more efficient than developping a whole new mobile Touhou title.

Not saying it's impossible, especially considering CAVE's recent-ish releases, and the fact that a number of their employees from back in their Shmupening days are not there anymore, and the fact that most of the recents announcements of Touhou licensing were generally about mobile titles ; but imo, only something like THE Shmup company making a comeback into the Shmup scene with a game from THE most prolific Shmup Series would prefectly capture the magic of the moment and make the 25th anniversary something a bit more special ...

(dark clouds of skepiticism begoooone, begoooone I say)

I'd still check it out even if it's a mobile game, but c'mon, I just want a super cool game ...

--- End quote ---

Thank you warmly for sharing This Touhou (25th Anniversary)+CAVE(Company) Novelty+The First Insights/Highlights " on Maidens of the Kaleidoscope and for all "enthusiasts" . Moreover and Hopefully :
 complementary "pick-out among a few" https://kotaku.com/shootem-up-developer-cave-announces-a-totally-new-shoot-1847279777 but not a bad one at all .
AngryEclectus:
CAVE and Touhou aren't exactly 2 words I would expect to be put in the same sentence.  It's a suprise, definitely, but that doesn
't mean it's bad! :cirnotan:

I also hope it's not a mobile game, because as much as some of those mobile games are great, like Lost Word, the games don't have as much recognition as you would expect. The most well known games are Lost Word and EoSD (Barely, it's more like the characters and music get recognized.)

But enough rambling!

:lend:
Suspicious person:
https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/1430092533682511875

CAVE put out a questionnaire of sorts (link in the tweet) to get a better understanding of Touhou fans for the sake of making a game that should prove to be satisfactory.

It's a pretty simple, short and straightforward questionnaire so yeah, probably check it out or something.

There being mention of other users and other mobile game titles kinda makes me suspect that what they are developping may probably be a mobile game, hmm.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version