Author Topic: Minor Existence Quest  (Read 235030 times)

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #480 on: March 24, 2022, 05:03:11 AM »
//Sorry for the slow response

>Flash Kosuzu a smile
->"You've been a great help, thank you."

>Start reading the books

« Reply #481 on: March 25, 2022, 10:21:36 PM »
//Sorry for the slow response

>Flash Kosuzu a smile
->"You've been a great help, thank you."

>Start reading the books

>"You're welcome, just doing my job."

>You open the Rites of the Yaoyorozu no Kami: A primer
>Inside, you see a "small" list of named gods along with their associated themes and rituals. That being said, it's small in the sense that it only describes a portion of the myriad of gods that may exist. It's exhausting but you manage to focus on the common rituals. There's rituals and talisman signs for warding against youkai, purification of curses, even notes on restricting and sealing youkai. The information is dense, but was written in such a way that you're pretty sure even Apple and Worm could understand most of it and become Mikos-in-training.

>The Scroll is an addition to the list of rituals and talismans. Describing how to dispel Misfortune and Impurity the "Traditional" way, rather than your more delectable one. It describes the Nagashi-bina ritual in-detail, including how to make your own hina doll and storing Misfortune and Impurity in it. Considering you've already met Hina Kagiyama first-hand, the information was a bit repetitive.
>_?

« Reply #482 on: March 26, 2022, 05:25:36 AM »
>Does it appear that the dolls could be broken to weaponize the Misfortune?

>Look over the restricting and sealing youkai talismans that the shrine maidens might use.

« Reply #483 on: March 27, 2022, 04:06:25 AM »
>Does it appear that the dolls could be broken to weaponize the Misfortune?

>Look over the restricting and sealing youkai talismans that the shrine maidens might use.

>The scroll does have some notes on handling Hina dolls when they contain Misfortune, including warnings. When broken, the Misfortune seeps out of the doll, much like a gas comes out of a container, and permeates the area. This also happens with other containers of high amounts of Misfortune. You are suddenly happy that your dolls haven't broken in all this time. The scroll doesn't explicitly say this aspect could be weaponised, but you're sure some imaginative soul has tried.

>The Restricting seems to come in two different types: Wrapping Shimenawa around the Youkai physically; or a Talisman with either a general symbol meaning "Restriction" with additional conditions written if needed or a name of a god that the Maiden follows.
>The Sealing is heavily involved. It seems that for a sealing you need a container strong enough to hold the Youkai's spiritual power, then apply Talismans, often multiples of them on the object. This method still risks the Youkai escaping later, either by a sudden surge of spiritual power or the Talismans being removed. You realise the Book only describes the materials required and the risks involved, but not the method.
>_?

« Reply #484 on: March 29, 2022, 06:11:47 AM »
>"She may use talismans, but we know for certain that she uses a sword."

>Glance at the sealing talisman
-> Do we think we could use this to seal the misfortune to the sword?

« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2022, 11:13:28 PM »
>"She may use talismans, but we know for certain that she uses a sword."

>Glance at the sealing talisman
-> Do we think we could use this to seal the misfortune to the sword?

>Apple and Worm take a moment to lean over your shoulder and glance at the book.
>"Lots of anti-youkai stuff in here. Unsurprising but still a problem, especially with how we've seen what this Miko does to Youkai." Apple observes.
>Worm voices her complaints. "That sword annoys me, and the talismans will be a pain. But I wonder if she uses it in conjunction with other things. Guess we'll find out if or when we face her."

>The Sealing Talisman is most likely usable with some adjustments. You don't think you could pull any of a god's favour, so you would have to use your own Spiritual Power or ask someone who could. Eating the sword or Misfortune surrounding it could be an option, but you feel like shoving a weapon near your body could end badly. Still, multiple options are good.
>_?

« Reply #486 on: March 31, 2022, 05:43:07 AM »
>Muse about using the talismans to try sealing misfortune out of the kimonos

>Look at the table of contents for the familiar book we got from Marisa

« Reply #487 on: April 04, 2022, 02:17:39 AM »
>Muse about using the talismans to try sealing misfortune out of the kimonos

>Look at the table of contents for the familiar book we got from Marisa

>You ruminate on Sealing talismans and kimonos. Using Talismans for sealing Misfortune would be using them for their intended purpose. Sealing Misfortune out of the Kimonos would likely involve weaving the talismans into the kimonos for a more constant effect or. Despite your skills at spinning silk, you doubt your own outright patchwork and textile skills would be enough. Maybe Kawa could help? Probably.

>You pull out Grimoire 612: "Swarm Magic". From where? A secret~
>It's a sizable book, despite Marisa just calling it a primer or the basics.
>Looking at the Table of Contents, the titles of the chapters are refreshingly simple. You take a look at the start of the list.
Grimoire 612 Table of Contents, Basic level:
>1. Introduction to Familiars: What are they?
>>1.1: Familiars made from Youjutsu: An instinctive method
>>1.2: Familiars made from Magic: The scientific method
>>1.3: A note about using Esoterica with Familiars
>2: Assigning Complex Tasks: For a more efficient companion
>>2.1: Assigning a Familiar to others: Sharing is caring
>3: Controlling Multiple Familiars: "Swarm Magic"
>>3.1: Notes on the link between the Familiar(s) and Master

>The book goes on to more advanced subjects in later chapters, explaining its thickness. Marisa considers all of this basic?
>Apple looks at the Grimoire with a worried face before walking away.
>"I still think this stuff is more your or Marisa's speed than ours. Isn't that right, Worm?"
>Worm looks up from another textbook she's pilfered from somewhere, Biology 101 or some such.
>"Huh? Oh yeah, definitely." She says absent-mindedly before quickly going back to reading. Apple walks further away, defeated.
>_?

« Reply #488 on: April 10, 2022, 06:51:04 PM »
>Shut the book

>Go after Apple
->"Do you want help me make talismans?"

« Reply #489 on: April 10, 2022, 08:09:56 PM »
>Shut the book

>Go after Apple
->"Do you want help me make talismans?"

>You shut the book and store it for later.

>Apple stops and looks back, her face is a mix of excitement and confusion.
>"Yeah, sure. But how would I help?"
>_?

« Reply #490 on: April 11, 2022, 04:25:48 AM »
>"We'll need a bunch of talismans.  I need your help making them."

>"If we're lucky one of my familiars can get one on her sword."

« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2022, 12:28:27 AM »
>"We'll need a bunch of talismans.  I need your help making them."

>"If we're lucky one of my familiars can get one on her sword."

>"Nice! Where do we start?"
>_?

« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2022, 01:35:48 AM »
>What do we need to make Talismans

>If paper
->"Paper. "

« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2022, 02:17:33 AM »
>What do we need to make Talismans

>If paper
->"Paper. "

>From what you've read, the Ofuda type of Talisman requires Paper, a method of drawing a design on said paper and spiritual power to be implanted into the Talisman.

>"So, paper huh? Well, we're in a bookstore! There's paper all around us!" She gestures at the bookcases.
>"If you're thinking of ripping pages out of the books then I'll have to deny you service." Kosuzu seems to have read Apple's mind as she deflates nearly immediately.
>"Wait, I've got it!" Apple rushes over to the front desk and reaches into a drawer to grab an arbitrary amount of blank paper sheets.
>"Motoori, I get that you're into books, but why do you have so much paper in your drawer?"
>"Administrative and Managerial reasons. I also keep a stash for a close friend, she likes to write in her spare time." Her answer is strangely non-specific.

>"Well, I got the paper. What next?" Apple looks at you expectantly.
>_?

« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2022, 03:01:00 AM »
>"Next we'll need a writing instrument then we can start."

>"I hope you don't mind us making some talismans here miss Kosuzu and I was interested in buying the book about shrine rituals."

« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2022, 12:43:04 PM »
>"Next we'll need a writing instrument then we can start."

>"I hope you don't mind us making some talismans here miss Kosuzu and I was interested in buying the book about shrine rituals."

>Apple looks around again. "Writing instruments..."

>"Oh, don't worry. I'm already used to my friend writing stuff around here. Making Talismans is fine as long as you don't somehow make a mess.

>Apple perks up. "Wait, your friend writes stuff here? Does she leave her tools laying around anywhere?"
>"Oh, all the time! She's awfully busy so she leaves in a rush and I have to keep her drafts and brushes for when she revisits. You can borrow them, but don't use too much. She'd chew my ear off!"
>Kosuzu puts a couple of brushes and pens in front of you with an inkwell. They look ornate, and one of them is a well-worn calligraphy pen.

>"As for that book about shrine rituals... Sure. What kind of book renter wouldn't let you rent a book? Unless you mean buying it. That's going to be more expensive."
>"Rent will cost you 20 Mon. Buying it permanently costs 40 Mon."
>>You currently have 200 Mon

« Reply #496 on: April 17, 2022, 07:24:33 PM »
>"I'd like to purchase it."
->Hand over 40 mon

>Place the book on the table so Apple and ourself can see it

« Reply #497 on: April 17, 2022, 11:18:04 PM »
>"I'd like to purchase it."
->Hand over 40 mon

>Kosuzu takes the Mon of your hands and quickly counts it before putting it in a Drawer under the front desk.
>"Thank you for your purchase! Hope you have fun with the book."

>Place the book on the table so Apple and ourself can see it

>Apple studies the book for a moment. Then grabs a paper and a brush. She manages to draw while still looking at the book.
>"So, what are we going to do if and after we're done with this Miko?" She says while drawing on the paper.
>_?

/(^o^)/Fuwayuru

• https://web.archive.org/web/20110426010918im_/http
« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2022, 05:43:55 AM »
#Ooh, one thing I should've noted. If you choose Beast Youkai, you can choose what beast you originate from. If the votes don't specify or if the Species of beasts reach a tie, then the type of Beast will be chosen at random between the votes given.

/(^o^)/Fuwayuru

• https://web.archive.org/web/20110426010918im_/http
« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2022, 05:45:19 AM »
//Proto-youkai

Edit:
>Beast Youkai
caldonian boar

« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2022, 04:58:50 PM »
>"I'm not sure.  We should definitely celebrate.  There's the Secret History Association and we can keep an ear out for anything amiss."

>Start helping make talismans to seal the sword and any we think may be useful

« Reply #501 on: April 22, 2022, 12:06:35 AM »
>"I'm not sure.  We should definitely celebrate.  There's the Secret History Association and we can keep an ear out for anything amiss."

>Start helping make talismans to seal the sword and any we think may be useful

>"Secret History Association?" Right, Apple doesn't know about them yet. You could brief her now or later.
>"But celebrations after taking down an enemy are always the best. I was going to suggest one after diffusing the situation with Unity Web, but we had to deal with this Miko right after!"
>Both you and Apple paint and draw Paper charms and talismans. While you decided to draw the Kanji for "Purify", "Ward" and so on a majority of the talismans, Apple went for quite an eclectic set of inscriptions...
>You look at her designs intermittently. At first it was "Purify" in hiragana, but then it shifts to pictures of cages, then swirly signs. Points for creatiivty, you guess?

>With the inscriptions done, you look at what you've made so far.
>Talismans for purification and sealing of Misfortune and Impurity. These are obvious in why they're needed.
>Talismans for protection against spiritual attacks. Our resident Shrine Maidens seem to love attacks of a spiritual nature. Probably due to some of the more dangerous Youkai they deal with being more vulnerable to them. If the Satsujinki's are similar, this might be needed.
>Spiritual Strike Talisman: Sends out a burst of Spiritual Energy to blow back the enemy. Notably doesn't cause any physical damage by itself despite Power output.

>You think this is all you'll need. You won't be running out for a while either. Spiritual Power (Or Hunger in your case) will be needed to activate their effects.
>_?

« Reply #502 on: April 27, 2022, 02:15:05 AM »
>"They're an anti-youkai group.  Seija came to the village to investigate them when we captured her."

>Send a few moths to watch over the river that the hinata dolls float down

>"This looks like plenty of Talismans, thank you for your help.  Let's the others and take a look where the shrine maiden was."

>Look for Worm
->"Did you find any interesting books?"

« Reply #503 on: April 27, 2022, 01:29:44 PM »
>"They're an anti-youkai group.  Seija came to the village to investigate them when we captured her."

>"Oh, so bad guys. Got it." A bit too simple, but a perspective you kind of expected Apple to have.

>Send a few moths to watch over the river that the hinata dolls float down

>As your moths fly out the bookstore's window, You see Kosuzu attempting to shoo some away.
>She sighs exasperatedly and glares at you. "Could you at least warn me before using familiars in the store?" She identified them as familiars that fast?

>When your familiars eventually find the river (trivial due to the higher amounts of Misfortune in that area) you see some notable people are already there.
>Ame along with that woman who was badgering Kosuzu seems to have beaten you to the punch. The nightguard in particular even notices your familiars and gives you a friendly handwave.
>The other person that you weren't quite expecting is Unity Web and a few members of her troupe.

>"This looks like plenty of Talismans, thank you for your help.  Let's the others and take a look where the shrine maiden was."

>Look for Worm
->"Did you find any interesting books?"

>"Alright, finally. I'm more of a light reader if you couldn't tell."
>When you look at Worm, you see a stack of books next to her. It seems she read through all of them while you were making talismans.
>"Hmm? Oh yeah, plenty. This book on botany is interesting, but the anatomy textbook was-"
>"Please, Worm, don't go into a full book review. I can only take so much information!"
>"...Right. I'll just return the books, because I won't be buying or renting any."
>_?

« Reply #504 on: May 03, 2022, 05:19:59 PM »
>As your moths fly out the bookstore's window, You see Kosuzu attempting to shoo some away.
>She sighs exasperatedly and glares at you. "Could you at least warn me before using familiars in the store?" She identified them as familiars that fast?
>Scratch the back of our head sheepishly
->"Sorry about that.

>"Alright, finally. I'm more of a light reader if you couldn't tell."
>When you look at Worm, you see a stack of books next to her. It seems she read through all of them while you were making talismans.
>"Hmm? Oh yeah, plenty. This book on botany is interesting, but the anatomy textbook was-"
>"Please, Worm, don't go into a full book review. I can only take so much information!"
>"...Right. I'll just return the books, because I won't be buying or renting any."
>_?

>Grin at Worm
>"It sounds like you should write."

>"The river the hinata dolls seems like a great place to start and Ame and Unity are already there."

>"Are you ready to go"
->If they are wave and thank Kosuzu for help and head over.

« Reply #505 on: May 04, 2022, 01:32:43 AM »
>Scratch the back of our head sheepishly
->"Sorry about that.

>Kosuzu glances at the window. "At least you seem to have good control over them, barely made a mess. Don't worry, I've had worse happen in this store."

>Grin at Worm
>"It sounds like you should write."

>"I-I probably wouldn't have many interesting writing topics. But I could think of something." Worm seems almost flustered.

>"The river the hinata dolls seems like a great place to start and Ame and Unity are already there."

>"Where the Human Village performs their Nagashi-Bina ritual? Definitely sounds good to me." Worm says as she carries the stacks of books to return them.

>"Are you ready to go"
->If they are wave and thank Kosuzu for help and head over.

>Apple nods and Worm confirms that she's ready after she returns the books.
>Kosuzu waves back with a grin as you leave. "Just doing my job! Maybe you could share your experiences with me if you come back!"

>Your party walk towards the River, going past several groups of shopping humans. Looks like the streets and markets are still busy, you even see a couple of dango stores run by rabbit youkai of all people.

>As you approach the River, Apple speaks.
>"I wonder how excess Misfortune affects humans."
>"Considering that dangerously concentrated amounts of Misfortune and Impurity can harm Youkai, I don't think I would ever be ready to witness its effects on humans." Worm shivers at the thought.
>_?

« Reply #506 on: May 07, 2022, 05:42:20 AM »
>Wince
->"If it was anything like your tree . . ."

« Reply #507 on: May 09, 2022, 01:18:08 PM »
>Worm copies your expression, probably recalling that debacle.
>"To think that was only a day ago..."
>Apple, sensing the approaching negative attitude, attempts to lighten the mood.
>"C-come on! We were able to get through that! As long as we keep up this momentum, not much can stop us!" She says it like she trying to psyche herself up more than you or Worm.

>As you approach the area your moths are overlooking, you notice the river. Or rather, the purple tinge that the river seems to have taken.
>Eventually you overhear some words from a bit up ahead.
>"-do you really have this much faith in some random woman and her children?" That's a slightly unfamiliar voice.
>"I can guarantee you they do good work. My mother can attest to that as well." That's a familiar voice.
>"And given our most powerful helpers are unavailable..." And that's a voice you can't forget.
>"Right, yeah. Don't remind me."
>_?

« Reply #508 on: May 10, 2022, 05:29:05 PM »
>"Yeah, we're going to make sure nothing like that happens."

>Do the villagers get water from this river

>Straighten our kimono for a good impression
->Continue towards the voices

« Reply #509 on: May 13, 2022, 01:02:13 AM »
>You don't know exactly. But you would guess so given this is one of the few safe places they could gather water with minimal risk of being ambushed by Youkai.
>After making yourself more presentable, you continue towards the voices.
>The area is sparsely populated, in fact, it seems deserted except for the individuals who react to your presence.

>Ame, Unity, and the Woman all look at you with varying faces. Ame with relief, Unity with a side-glance before looking into the river, and the Woman with an oddly happy smirk. The latter starts talking almost immediately.

>"I finally get to meet the Onmyouji face-to-face! Tell me, what are your abilities really? How did you learn to use them? What are your hobbies-ack?!"
>She gets interrupted by Ame pulling on her ear.
>"Keep your questions for later, Tengu. The situation right now is a bit complicated and dire. Honestly, the only reason I haven't reported or kicked you out is because of the information you have and that I don't want to deal with potential backlash."

>Tengu? That might explain the sudden questions.

>You don't have much time to think about that as a fairy that absolutely reeks of Misfortune comes from further downstream the river and whispers something to Unity that disturbs her.
>"Scratch that, Nightguard. The situation is VERY dire. But I think we should let the Mo-... Onmyouji speak first before we lay everything we've found on her."
>_?