Author Topic: Minor Existence Quest  (Read 43108 times)

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2021, 09:15:28 AM »
>" 'Borrow without permission', might be a better phrase."

>"Nah, I feel like I'm stealing someone's trademark if I say that."
>"What the hell is a trademark?"

>Do we know about the stalls at the festivals?

>What stalls? What festivals?! You really try to remember something you may have heard, but you don't find anything.

>Look for a teacher

>You look around from the outside but you don't see any teachers, only excited children.

>If there isn't a teacher in sight then do the following.
>"Let's head inside before recess ends."
>Go inside the school and look for a teacher.

>"Alright, maybe you'll find more books to 'appropriate'?"
>"I already regret talking about that."
>You and the Fairies head into the school.

>You walk through the school, your duo following shortly behind. It's surprisingly spacious considering Gensokyo's human population, and as far as you know they don't teach Youkai here. Not to mention it's cleaner than you would expect a building filled with children to be, the school staff must take good care of the place.
>You find a lot of classrooms for various subjects. Japanese, Mathematics, Literature, even Textiles and Home Economics. But you don't find a teacher until you reach the History classroom.
>Your party peer into it and see a woman, most likely human, with long silver hair and blue highlights, dressed in a dark blue dress with a red ribbon on the collar, with a tokin hat. Looks like she's already preparing for the next lesson.
>"Wait, the teacher doesn't get to rest when the children can?"
>"Yes, it's a shame. A teacher's life is filled with misery and woe, trying to impart knowledge to ignorant souls is a job that I wouldn't give to my best friend or my worst enemy." Despite Worm's loquaciousness she seems genuinely worried.
>"Oi, you're starting to sound like a pretentious poet."
>_?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 09:18:37 AM by WitheringFlowerCrown »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2021, 08:39:14 PM »
>"Nah, I feel like I'm stealing someone's trademark if I say that."
>"What the hell is a trademark?"

>"I never thought of it like that.
________

>Wait, she's wearing a tokin hat and isn't a tengu?
>I need to time to process this world shattering revelation.

>Stare at Worm
>"It sounds like you've worked as a teacher before."
>beat
>"We'll make things better."

>Wave at the teacher
>"Hello, could we have a moment of your time!"

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2021, 10:46:41 PM »
>"I never thought of it like that.
________

>Wait, she's wearing a tokin hat and isn't a tengu?
>I need to time to process this world shattering revelation.

>You take a moment to ruminate over the fact that a non-tengu is wearing a tokin hat.
>Is it really a tokin hat? It looks like one, but it also looks like a pagoda. Why did this human choose such a fashion statement for headwear? Is she really human? Perhaps she's a Youkai and the hat is a sign to any other undercover Youkai informants, like a shibboleth. What kind of Youkai is she? Maybe one relating to History, considering that she seems to be the History teacher? Or maybe that's the obvious answer she wants you to think, and it's actually something else?
>You admit to yourself that you're overanalysing this...

>Stare at Worm
>"It sounds like you've worked as a teacher before."
>beat
>"We'll make things better."

>"No, I haven't worked as a teacher, unless trying to give information to Apple counts."
>"It probably does. I can at least admit my ignorance!" She sounds way too proud of that.
>"How humble of you. Anyway, I just sympathise with the strife that their job comes with. And it's good that you want to change their lives for the better, Purifier. I can already see the worth of travelling with you."

>Wave at the teacher
>"Hello, could we have a moment of your time!"

>The Schoolteacher slightly jumps in her seat and looks towards the door you came in from. She quickly calms down, however, and believes you're friendly.
>"Yes, you can. You should make it quick however, as you can see, I'm currently occupied." She's still writing down notes for her lesson.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2021, 11:38:21 PM »
>Smile
>"The three of us came to find out if you needed help of any sort or if you know of anyone who does."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 11:53:59 PM by Philosopher »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2021, 12:25:40 AM »
>Smile
>"The three of us came to find out if you needed help of any sort or if you know of anyone who does."

>The Schoolteacher smiles with you.
>"Well, there are a couple of things I need help with."

>The teacher's face hardens. "First, there's a night watch to make sure that the Village is safe from hostile Youkai attacks. Youkai attacks are unlikely, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I also take part in this night watch, but examinations for the students are coming up and I want to put more effort into teaching them. Could you take over my part of the night watch, so my schedule is a bit less packed?"
>"A problem that I heard from the Florist. She was ambushed, most likely by a Youkai, while returning to Village after collecting mushrooms and herbs from the Forest of Magic. You should check with her for more details. This was one of the events that caused us to make our night watch more strict."
>Her face returns to a neutral smile. "My name is Keine Kamishirasawa, for future reference. As you may have already realised, I'm the History teacher and one of the main teachers in this school. It is a pleasure to meet you, though it's a bit late to say that."

>"Look at me, putting my faith into a Youkai I just met."
>"Hey, the Moth-Lady is reliable, she saved our lives!"
>"Yes, not only is the Purifier reliable, but she also has a keen eye and likes helping others."
>"Well, I guess the word of fairies is enough vouching, the worst that happens is you fail and Youkai attack the Village."
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2021, 02:09:14 AM »
>"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well."

>"I've have great motivation to not fail then."
>"We would be happy to take your patrol."

>Put your pointer finger on your chin in thought
>"Though I'd like borrow some old clothes, preferably not too dirty and not too clean, and a place to bathe if it isn't too much trouble."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 08:13:25 AM by Philosopher »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2021, 12:16:04 PM »
>"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance as well."

>"I've have great motivation to not fail then."
>"We would be happy to take your patrol."

>"Thank you, this should help everyone in the village, not only me."

>Put your pointer finger on your chin in thought
>"Though I'd like borrow some old clothes, preferably not too dirty and not too clean, and a place to bathe if it isn't too much trouble."

>"Alright, I think I can do that. But why do you want some old clothes, and why with those specifications? Also, do you think your fairy duo might need some as well?"
>"Well I would like some. Wearing the same clothes gets boring after a while."
>"Oh, me too! I wonder what kind of fashion fits this infallible body of mine!"

>"As for the place to bathe, there's an Abandoned Warehouse at the edge of the Village. The Kappa were there at one point because their usual base froze over, but then they left when it was restored and the Warehouse has been abandoned since. There should be a place to bathe there, what with the Kappa and their aquatic nature. I'm willing to let you have it, as long as you promise to complete the task, and you don't make creepy sounds in there."
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2021, 12:43:28 PM »
>"I won't make any weird sounds."

>Give a nod
>"Worm and Apple would need some clothes."

>"My hope is that a bath and the clothes will make us smell human and look human."

>"With luck, any aggressive youkai will mistake us for humans."

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2021, 01:11:05 PM »
>"I won't make any weird sounds."

>Give a nod
>"Worm and Apple would need some clothes."

>"My hope is that a bath and the clothes will make us smell human and look human."

>"With luck, any aggressive youkai will mistake us for humans."

>"Hmm, a smart idea, I would've suggested it myself honestly. In that case, I may have something that fits your group, I should be able to get it ready by the evening, I'll have it delivered to the Warehouse."
>"Speaking of which, I just talked about the Warehouse but you may not know where it is, you're new here aren't you? Have this, so you don't get lost."
>Keine gives you a Map of the Human Village
>>Map of the Human Village: Given to you by Keine, medium in size and is a scroll for easy storage. Convenient.

>"I'm sorry to push you away so abruptly, but Recess should end soon and I'd rather not get questions from the students about 'who the stranger is', disrupting their attention. Nothing personal, I promise."
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2021, 07:17:54 PM »
>"I understand, take care."

>Turn to Apple and Worm
>"Let's go to to the flower shop."

>Head to the flower shop
>"I'm a surprised you never tried to sneak into classes."

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2021, 08:39:51 PM »
>"I understand, take care."

>"I will. Good luck to you three."

>Turn to Apple and Worm
>"Let's go to to the flower shop."

>Head to the flower shop
>"I'm a surprised you never tried to sneak into classes."

>Your party leaves the school before the inevitable wave of children arrive, and head towards the Flower Shop.
>"Well, there's a difference between sneaking into a place to steal an object, and staying there for a prolonged period of time. Think of it as the difference between stealing and spying, there are some interchangeable skills but they're still different things."
>"You sure know a lot about this, Worm! You should write a thesis or some other dissertation on sneaking into places. Maybe 'The Grimoire of Espionage'!"
>"I may have some skills in that department, but not enough to make a formal document. Besides, how do you know what a thesis and a dissertation is?"
>"You think you're the only one who reads the stuff you steal?"
>"Touché."

>You arrive at the Flower Shop.
>The place has a nearly overwhelming amount of plant species. Tulips, lilies, lilac, daisies, clovers, carnations, petunias, even nettles and of course-
>"Hey, they have roses here!"
>"In red and white no less."
>All these flowers are labelled and ordered by Family, you presume. The only things that are missing here are supernatural and carnivorous plant species.
>And in the middle, almost like she's wreathed by these flowers, is most likely the Florist.
>A woman with brown hair and eyes, dressed in a simple red and yellow kimono with a petunia pattern (a bit on the nose), with no head accessory.
>She looks happy and surprisingly uninjured for someone who was apparently attacked by a Youkai.
>The time is roughly 1:55 PM, the early Afternoon.
>_?
The Time and its Importance:
Whenever an errand, or incident involves a time limit or specific time of day. The time will be displayed after every location change. The day of the week will also be displayed if important.
Don't try to be stressed over this, think over your actions how you usually do, just a bit more carefully.

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2021, 09:05:21 PM »
>How did we learn to speak?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2021, 09:31:06 PM »
>How did we learn to speak?

>You've actually thought about this before in a bout of navel-gazing brought on by boredom. You wonder how you, a Youkai with no parents and no education to speak of, has the knowledge they do.
>Your theory is that when a Youkai drifts into Gensokyo, a higher force puts the requisite information into their mind, this includes Modern Japanese. This also explains how you know about the Spell Card Rules despite no-one telling you about them and no-one challenging you to a Spell Card Duel. Other information is most likely gained by experience, conversation and overhearing others.
>This is all just a theory that you came up with one day though, this could be completely wrong.
>_?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2021, 09:37:48 PM by WitheringFlowerCrown »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2021, 10:48:18 PM »
>What time do we probably need to meet Keine at the warehouse?

>"There are a lot of beautiful flowers here."

>Approach the florist
>"Good afternoon."
>"The three of us came to help with your youkai issue."
>Watch her body language as she speaks

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #74 on: June 24, 2021, 12:19:40 AM »
>What time do we probably need to meet Keine at the warehouse?

>Around 6:00 PM, in the Evening. Night begins at around 8 to 12 PM.

>"There are a lot of beautiful flowers here."

>"Yeah, definitely!"
>"But we're mainly interested in the roses."

>Approach the florist
>"Good afternoon."
>"The three of us came to help with your youkai issue."
>Watch her body language as she speaks

>The Florist looks towards you with a smile, her ponytail flopping a bit. "Good afternoon to you too!"
>Her smile becomes more strained. "Ah, the Youkai issue? I'm guessing Keine told you about that. And you want more detail first?"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #75 on: June 24, 2021, 02:40:59 AM »
>Nod our head
>"Yes, if it isn't too stressful."

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #76 on: June 24, 2021, 07:17:09 AM »
>Nod our head
>"Yes, if it isn't too stressful."

>"No, don't worry, I can do it. Just some unpleasant memories, you know?"
>As she starts, her face goes neutral. "Recently I've been collecting mushrooms, herbs, and other plant species from various places, including the Forest of Magic."
>Her face becomes more fierce, she seems upset. "Yesterday and today morning, while I was returning to the Human Village, I felt a sharp pain in my legs and knees like something cut through them. I fell over with surprisingly no major injuries, but when I looked around, the box I was using to hold the plants had been ransacked!"
>Her face returns to a neutral look. "I can't think of many things that could cause that to happen. I'm not old enough for my body to give out on me two times in a week, and I doubt fairies are fast enough to do that to me, most of the known Youkai in the Forest would either not care about plants or just have eaten me when I fell, so it has to be something new."
>"A sharp pain in my legs, a cut to the chest to cut off the straps I was using to hold the box, then ending with me having minimal injuries...Yes I think it was a Kama Itachi.
>"This was an almost textbook Kama Itachi modus operandi. I would recommend that you hold back a bit before trying to hunt it down. I have a plan, if that's okay with you?"

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2021, 07:45:05 AM »
>Frown
>"Kama Itachi.  That makes things more difficult."
>" I have a plan, if that's okay with you?"

>"It's fine."
>"If you don't mind my asking, what is your plan?"

//Yay! Sickle weasels!

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
>Frown
>"Kama Itachi.  That makes things more difficult."
>"It's fine."
>"If you don't mind my asking, what is your plan?"

//Yay! Sickle weasels!
#Would you believe me if I said that I added this just for you, or that it's just a coincidence.

>"My plan is to have you three disguised as humans and join me next morning for herb gathering. This way that weasel will think we're just a group of humans, instead of a human and her Youkai Escort." Well this lined up surprisingly well. How serendipitous!
>Worm adds to the conversation. "I also have an idea to help us with this Kama Itachi. Which one of these plants has the most propensity for overgrowth?"
>"Usually the shrub flowers, I have some Hydrangeas, if that fits."
>"Perfect, I'll have those-"
>"Later, I may be entrusting you with this task and plan, but you're still just a group of Youkai I just met. You'll get the Hydrangeas before we leave next morning."
>Worm pouts. "Fine. One other thing, Purifier, you're a Moth Youkai, you should be able to create some form of Silk, right?"
>"You know, for someone who looks like a Moth you don't act like one, or at least don't have the abilities." Apple does have a point.
>Can you create Silk? Maybe, you haven't tried it before, there was no need to. But if you are a moth...
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2021, 10:33:26 AM »
#I'd believe either.

>Are we fast enough that we think we might be able catch one of the weasels if they get close?
->Or do we think the Kama Itachi will be able to cut us and leave before we notice?

>Can we see through our familiars' eye?
>How long can we have our familiars active
>Can we feel where our familiars are?

>If we win a danmaku match against the  Kama Itachi we could have them leave the florist alone, right?

>"I've never tried to make silk.  It could help."
>Try to make silk

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2021, 12:07:44 PM »
#I'd believe either.

>Are we fast enough that we think we might be able catch one of the weasels if they get close?
->Or do we think the Kama Itachi will be able to cut us and leave before we notice?

>No. Considering they were able to steal something from someone in broad daylight without being seen because of pure speed, you wouldn't get close to catching up with them. You would definitely notice getting cut though.

>Can we see through our familiars' eye?
>How long can we have our familiars active
>Can we feel where our familiars are?

>You don't think you've tried this either, if anyone intruded on your territory you saw them with your own eyes. You might as well experiment.
>You summon some familiars
>"Don't worry Florist, the Moth-Lady is friendly, she won't try anything that can hurt you."
>You try to see through your familiars' eyes, it's like shifting your focus to a different area.
>It works! It's like you have compound eyes, when one of your familiars move the view moves with it. You spread your familiars around the flower shop, taking care not to damage the flowers, and you can see every angle of the shop!

>As far as you know, your familiars can stay active as long as you are conscious, once they are summoned it doesn't take much effort or energy to keep them. You tried to make a 'cocoon' of Familiars once, to protect you while you sleep, only to find out they disappeared when you fell asleep.

>You try to 'sense' the location of the familiars.
>It takes a moment to get used to, but you feel where the familiars are, like a 'domain' around the shop. This is really interesting.

>If we win a danmaku match against the  Kama Itachi we could have them leave the florist alone, right?

>An unwritten rule in Gensokyo is that when someone wins a Duel they can tell the winner to stop whatever nonsense they're doing. You are pretty sure this counts as 'nonsense', so yes.

>"I've never tried to make silk.  It could help."
>Try to make silk

>You try to make Silk.
>You feel a smooth strand of something in your mouth, and spit it out. It's silvery white and thin, this must be the silk.
>But it's a bit uncomfortable making it in your mouth. You try to get your familiars to make silk.
>The silk comes out of some nearby familiar's mouth and droops down.
>"Huh, looks weird and cool." Apple tries to pull on the silk, but it's really tough.
>Both Worm and Apple pull on the silk, but get nowhere, not even a single tear. It's pretty funny to watch.
>The Florist reaches over the front counter and pulls out some garden shears. She attempts to cut the silk, with no results.
>"Okay, that's it, I won't be made a fool of!" Apple grabs the silk and focuses, it breaks apart in her hand. This must be decomposition at work.
>"Haha! I have proven my superiority!"

>"Whatever. Anyway, this is perfect! My plan is to have the Purifier create a zone of silk in our vicinity when the weasels approach, that way they either can't escape or will be slowed down. Then the next part of my plan will happen, but that's for later."
>"You okay with the plan, Moth-Lady?"

>The Florist sighs. "Honestly this day is so strange. First I get ambushed by a Youkai, then an apparently friendly Youkai offers to help me, then that Youkai spawns a bunch of moths that don't swarm around my plants for some reason and makes Silk harder than a Keystone. I'm going to have to rest before anymore zany events happen."

>Bombyx Mori: Level 2
>>Silk Creation: You and your moth familiars can create extremely tough Silk. This silk comes from the salivary glands...your mouth.
>>Stigmergy: You can see through your moth familiars' eyes and feel where they are.

>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #81 on: June 25, 2021, 01:24:01 AM »
>Unsummon our familiars

>"I don't think I can create silk fast enough to entrap the Kama Itachi before they flee."

>Turn to the florist
>"I understand your plan so far, but how do you account for weasel's speed?"
>"Or will we be tracking them?"

>Clap our hands together.
>"Oh, could I see the herb box?"
« Last Edit: June 25, 2021, 05:20:11 AM by Philosopher »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2021, 07:42:35 AM »
>Unsummon our familiars

>"I don't think I can create silk fast enough to entrap the Kama Itachi before they flee."

>Turn to the florist
>"I understand your plan so far, but how do you account for weasel's speed?"
>"Or will we be tracking them?"

>You unsummon your familiars. They disappear, but interestingly, the Silk doesn't disappear with them. Also, your vision returns to normal.
>"I will track them." The Florist seems resolute.
>"I decided to commission a magician to enchant a map and some of my flowers. When the flowers are taken I can track their position using the map. It costs a fortune, but I have to try anything."
>"As for their speed...I've got nothing, no Silver Bullets, there's no way for us to keep up with them unless we're a Tengu."
>Worm perks up. "The second part of my plan will nullify their speed, I can make sure of that. I just need one good shot on them, then we're set."
>"...These are some awfully smart fairies."

>Clap our hands together.
>"Oh, could I see the herb box?"

>"Okay, I wonder why you're so interested in a box."
>The Florist goes through a back door, that you somehow did not notice until now, and comes out with a wooden box.
>She's carrying it with one hand despite the fact it's as long as her torso and as big as an offering box at a shrine. Either this box is really light or this Florist is really strong.
>She opens it up to reveal its empty contents, it smells of earth and plants, as expected.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #83 on: June 25, 2021, 07:52:27 AM »
>Do smell anything else such as the youkai that stole the herbs?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #84 on: June 25, 2021, 08:13:21 AM »
>Do smell anything else such as the youkai that stole the herbs?

>No, the smell of the plants and earth is overwhelming any others.
>"...So, does this Youkai smell things often?"
>"Only when she has to find something."
>"Oh, that's how the Moth-Lady found us in that tree! How'd I not realise this earlier?"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #85 on: June 25, 2021, 08:49:26 AM »
>Crinkle our brow
>"Buggers, I cannot smell them."

>Think about retorting that you could have  asked moths where the fairies where.
>Wait, can we talk to butterflies and moths?

>Smile and glance at the two fairies
>"Apple and Worm are really smart."

>"It sounds like everything is covered in the plan."

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »
>Crinkle our brow
>"Buggers, I cannot smell them."

>"That's a shame, we can only hope that the current plan works well enough." The Florist is a bit disheartened.
>Meanwhile, Apple looks like she's going to laugh?

>Think about retorting that you could have  asked moths where the fairies where.
>Wait, can we talk to butterflies and moths?

>You think of a few retorts, mainly that you could have asked the insects where they are. You don't smell everything!
>You have tried talking to animals before, you are a Beast Youkai so why not? It seems that insects are the only ones that you can communicate with, even then, it's more like they communicate their intentions and meanings through signals since the lack the organs to speak. Most other insect-based Beast Youkai should have this ability.
>You unfortunately also found out that Spiders are not insects and you can't communicate with them.

>Smile and glance at the two fairies
>"Apple and Worm are really smart."

>Worm gets a slight blush. "Uh, a compliment from the Purifier...Thank you very much!"
>And Apple- "Pfhahaha! 'Buggers'! Get it?! 'Cause she's a Moth! Hahaha!" Well, looks she finally burst.
>The Florist looks at scene with an amused gaze. "I guess I can take your word for their intelligence."

>"It sounds like everything is covered in the plan."

>"Not everything."
>"Huh, what could be missing from the plan, Miss Florist?"
>"That last part is the problem. My name is Hanako, Hanako Sakura. I think it's important to know the name of the person you are escorting, right?"
>"Oh, that would've been a slight issue."

>"And with that, everything has been covered. I'll meet you at the front gate at around 9 AM, tomorrow morning, then we will go to the Forest of Magic for herb gathering. You can do whatever you want before that, as long as you're ready."
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2021, 03:33:49 AM »
>Blush
>"Ah, where are my manners."
>"You can call we whatever you want."


>"Then we'll see you at the gates tomorrow."
>Leave the store

>How long do we have until we need to meet Keine
>How hungry are we?

>Check the map for seamstress

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2021, 07:49:25 AM »
>Blush
>"Ah, where are my manners."
>"You can call we whatever you want."

>"Alright, I'll call you 'Escort'. Because that's the job you have in the plan."

>"Then we'll see you at the gates tomorrow."
>Leave the store

>How long do we have until we need to meet Keine
>How hungry are we?

>Check the map for seamstress

>"I'll see you later, Escort! Have a good afternoon!"
>"You too, Hanako! The Moth-Lady has a lot to do."
>You leave the store.

>It's around 2:40 PM right now, so 3 hours.
>You listen to your stomach...
Hunger:
>Currently, you're full up. Only Physically and Spiritually taxing actions eat into your Hunger.
>You check the map for the Seamstress, then curse it and bless it at the same time.
>The seamstress was right next to the Florist's Shop the whole time! But it was so inconspicuous that you would have never known it was a Seamstress' Shop without checking! It doesn't even have a sign!
>_?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 11:48:51 AM by WitheringFlowerCrown »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2021, 05:20:30 PM »
>Consider how valuable our silk would to the seamstress

>If it would be valuable head to the seamstress