Author Topic: Minor Existence Quest  (Read 45326 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Minor Existence Quest
« on: June 12, 2021, 02:20:07 PM »
>There are many beings in Gensokyo, some cause an incredible impact on the world, while others just exist with no impact either in life or in death, like driftwood.
>You are the latter, or at least similar. You can't say you've ever made a large impact in Gensokyo, or any personal lives for that matter. You could say that your Existence is Minor.

>But you don't want to be less than a footnote in a book, you want to rise from an insignificant status and be known to Gensokyo! If not the entirety of Gensokyo then at least a small part of it! Yes, that is your ambition. It’s vain, but you need something to push you, and fame sounds like a good place to start.

>But First: What are you?

>Fairy: An entity representing an aspect of nature. You like playing pranks and overall goofing off, but you know when to get serious. You want to create a name for yourself, and make that name known to everyone in your area! And maybe even farther than that!

>Divine Spirit: …Well you are not really a Divine Spirit, but people don’t need to know that. Some people call your kind Yokurei or Zokurei, A greedy spirit born from desires. But you want to shed that title and become a god, an established one, and drink in that wonderful Faith you’ve been starved of. Part of that requires being well-known.

>Beast Youkai: A type of youkai. You have abilities reminiscent of your originating species and don’t like it when your kind get hurt, if your name gets around then you and none of your kind will be hurt. That’s a good plus that fame comes with. What beast are you, anyway?

>Write In: …Oh you’re something never seen before? That ought to make you stand out. You’ll take Gensokyo by storm at this rate.

#Okay this is the first time I've ever written anything, so I hope this goes well or I can improve.

NucleusWaffles

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
>Beast Youkai


Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2021, 03:27:51 PM »
#Ooh, one thing I should've noted. If you choose Beast Youkai, you can choose what beast you originate from. If the votes don't specify or if the Species of beasts reach a tie, then the type of Beast will be chosen at random between the votes given.

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »
//Proto-youkai

Edit:
>Beast Youkai
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 03:18:21 AM by Philosopher »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »
>Beast Youkai
>Beast Youkai

#Beast Youkai was chosen with no specification, random species it is.

>Your insignificant existence is set.
>You are a Beast Youkai.

>You wake up in the Youkai Mountains.
>You've been here for a while. You don't bother anyone here, so none of Tengu or Kappa bother you.
>Though, for some reason you're attracted to this place. Like this feels like your natural habitat.
>You seem to be in a small clearing with almost no-one and nothing except trees around you.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 11:07:05 AM »
//Ahh missed the type of beast youkai
//If we can still choose

>Kama itachi

>Sniff the air
>Do we smell any intruders in our territory?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 11:22:03 AM by Philosopher »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 03:28:40 PM »
//Ahh missed the type of beast youkai
//If we can still choose

>Kama itachi
#Unfortunately, decisions can't be changed when the results are posted
>Sniff the air
>Do we smell any intruders in our territory?

>You sniff the air
>You smell someone.
>After a short flight upwards to scout, you see a green-haired woman in a red dress performing a dance with a lot of rotations...
>You easily recognise her as Hina Kagiyama
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2021, 03:52:50 PM »
>Examine ourselves
>What kind of beast youkai are we?

>inventory

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2021, 06:23:07 PM »
>Examine ourselves
>What kind of beast youkai are we?

>You create a mental image of yourself...
>You are wearing what seems to be a Yukata with a white and grey pattern reminiscent of insect scales, with no headwear.
>You have light-grey hair that's fashioned straight, and goes down to your neck.
>You seem to have Moth-like attributes. Antenna, and Wings. Someone could mistake the wings for a cape if they didn't know any better.

>inventory
>You decide take inventory...
Inventory:
>Your default outfit: A Yukata with a white and grey pattern reminiscent of insect scales, with no headwear.
>A Lantern that you power using minor sorcery, you like the brightness of the light! Occasionally used in Spell Card Duels.
>_?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:50:22 PM by WitheringFlowerCrown »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 07:17:07 PM »
>Do we have any magic or abilities related to spirits?

>Land in front of Hina
>Wait for her to finish her dance.

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 11:11:00 PM »
>Do we have any magic or abilities related to spirits?

>Around a decade ago, there was this one Incident where a bunch of spirits were everywhere. During that Incident, a lot of spirits were attracted to you for some reason and you had a large feeling of hunger.
>After that Incident was resolved there weren't any spirits attracted to you, and your hunger subsided. Maybe the amount of spirits on the Youkai Mountain are low outside of these Incidents?
>As far as you know, apart from that Incident, you don't have any abilities or magic related to spirits.
>But it is worth investigating...

>Land in front of Hina
>Wait for her to finish her dance.

>You land in front of Hina and wait for her to finish dancing.
>The dance was surprisingly graceful and exciting! You always look at it from afar, so you didn't notice the details in her movement until now.
>While she's dancing you also notice the aura of Misfortune surrounding her. Right, this is why you only watch from afar...
>A small while later, Hina stops, and the aura only stays on her person. She noticed you while she was dancing.
>She gives you a smile and says "Hello! So, did you enjoy the dance? Or did you wait near me for a different reason?"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2021, 12:12:29 AM »
>Clap our hands together and grin.

>"The dance was a joy to behold, Miss Hina."

>"My original reason was to see if you have any errands that you needed someone to do."

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 12:56:38 PM »
>Clap our hands together and grin.

>"The dance was a joy to behold, Miss Hina."

>Hina blushes and makes a small bow. Looks like people don't always appreciate the fine arts, what a shame!

>"My original reason was to see if you have any errands that you needed someone to do."

>Hina ponders. "Hmm...Ah! I do have an issue to deal with. But you could take care of it!"
>"Recently, the Nagashi-Bina Dolls I collect have been stolen. These contain the accumulated misfortune of multiple people, so you probably understand how dangerous this is! I was going to search for them myself, but if you can do it then I would be very grateful!"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 05:00:54 PM »
>"I will try my best."

>"Could I see the crime scene and have you found any clues  to the culprit's identity?"

>What abilities do we have?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 07:22:54 PM »
>"I will try my best."

>Hina gives you a beaming smile. "Thank you very much... uh, Missus...uh..." Her face turns into a confused, pondering look.
>Oh, she doesn't seem to know your name.
>Wait, your name?

>What is your name?

>You have a name, you can scream it to Bhava-agra! (Write in your name)
>Run through your memory for a name or words that fit you. #I'll make one for you
>"J-Just call me whatever you want!" (Characters will nickname you based on their impressions)

>After clarifying this problem, you move on to your question.

>"Could I see the crime scene and have you found any clues  to the culprit's identity?"

>"Sure!"
>You follow Hina through the Great Youkai Forest until you reach a river.

>"The humans transfer their Misfortune into a Hina Doll and send them to be carried away by the river. I collect them from here and then transfer the Misfortune to me and my surroundings, that's about as simple as I can explain Nagashi-Bina."
>"The dolls were most likely taken from here. No footprints apart from mine were here so it has to be someone who flies often. But this is Gensokyo so that doesn't narrow it down much. I can rule out the Tengu and Autumn gods at least, they have no conceivable reason to steal these dolls."
>"I did find several wilted flower petals around the area, so we can also narrow it down to 'people who carry flowers often'. Can't think of many people who fit that description and would want to steal the Dolls, but one possible culprit are Fairies."
>"Fairies often do actions on their own capricious whims, so they could have very well just stolen them because they thought it was fun."

>What abilities do we have?

>A few talents you've noticed:
>You can eat almost anything, from animals, to fruit, to the bark of the tree the fruit came from, to the foundation that the tree grew from.
>You can summon and manipulate Moth-like creatures that also have the trait of eating anything, even stranger, when they eat something you feel less hungry.
>This interests you quite a bit, and you would like to investigate further when you can.

>_?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:28:07 PM by WitheringFlowerCrown »

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 09:35:17 PM »
>"Please call me whatever you want!"

>"Do you still have petals?"
>Sniff to tell who has been here

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2021, 11:23:26 PM »
>"Please call me whatever you want!"

>"Do you still have petals?"
>Sniff to tell who has been here

>"I'm sorry Miss Detective. I wasn't prudent enough to pick up the flower petals, but they're still there, near the river."
>You look near the river and you see the flower petals.
>You sniff the air.
> It smells like...Misfortune? Misfortune has a really unique smell, but you don't think you should be able to smell it. It smells similar to Hina, for obvious reasons, and it's a bit pungent in this area. The petals also have Misfortune mixed with an unidentifiable scent in it.

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2021, 02:58:26 AM »
>"It is fortunate you didn't throw the petals away."

>Pick up some of the petals
->Do we recognize the flowers?

>If choosing between the flower shop in the human village or Yuuka which do we believe would be safer?

>"Would the dolls currently be leaking misfortune?"

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2021, 12:35:33 PM »
>"It is fortunate you didn't throw the petals away."

>Pick up some of the petals
->Do we recognize the flowers?

>You pick up the petals and attempt to examine the flowers.
>The Petals look like they came from roses, and there's a mix of White and Red petals.

>If choosing between the flower shop in the human village or Yuuka which do we believe would be safer?

>"Would the dolls currently be leaking misfortune?"

>You don't know much about the Human Village, you have heard that some Youkai do shop there sometimes. Seems like all you need to do is not make a ruckus and the Villagers will stomach your existence.
>Yuuka...You've heard of her and the Garden of the Sun, though you mostly have rumours. As far as you know, Yuuka is incredibly sadistic to those who disturb the plants in her Garden, but if you can have a conversation with her without damaging the flowers then she's surprisingly amicable. These are just rumours you've heard though.
>The Human Village is safer for sure, you just need to lay low a bit. Meanwhile, with Yuuka you need to approach her without getting killed, which, considering this is Yuuka...

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2021, 02:33:50 PM »
>Can we smell that unidentifiable smell in the air?

>"I'll keep you informed about any major breaks in the case."

>If we can smell the unidentified smell in the air follow it
->Otherwise head to the human village

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2021, 04:46:45 PM »
>Can we smell that unidentifiable smell in the air?

>"I'll keep you informed about any major breaks in the case."

>If we can smell the unidentified smell in the air follow it
->Otherwise head to the human village

>Yea, you can smell it.
>While you prep to leave, Hina cheers you on. "Good luck on the investigation, Detective!"
>You follow the scent, gliding through The Great Youkai Forest.
>The scent stops at a clearing, not much is notable about it, but one of the trees are completely dead.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2021, 05:29:09 PM »
>Is the tree covered in misfortune?
->If not knock on the tree and listen for any hollow areas

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2021, 06:09:14 PM »
>Is the tree covered in misfortune?
->If not knock on the tree and listen for any hollow areas

>None that you notice.
>You knock on the tree, up and down, all around. You hear a higher pitched knock than usual in a spot near the top of the tree.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2021, 07:47:39 PM »
>Investigate the area that sounded different

>If we don't find anything

>"If there is anyone using this tree as lodging, I recommend coming out now before my familiars eat their way in!"

>Summon some familiars

 >If no one responds
->Wait ten seconds
-->Have our familiars eat the part of the tree with a higher pitch.


Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2021, 08:57:05 PM »
>Investigate the area that sounded different

>You investigate the area that sounded different.
>You find nothing, not a hole, a window, or anything that could work as an entrance. But this tree is way too suspicious to just be higher pitched naturally.
>So you rely on more confrontational tactics...

>If we don't find anything

>"If there is anyone using this tree as lodging, I recommend coming out now before my familiars eat their way in!"

>Summon some familiars

 >If no one responds
->Wait ten seconds
-->Have our familiars eat the part of the tree with a higher pitch.

>Even after your threat, no-one answers, looks like they know how to act under pressure. But how about this much pressure?
>You summon your Familiars, prepare yourself for a meal, and eat the suspicious part of the tree.
>While this happens, you hear a small girl's voice shout from the tree, in a panicked tone. "A-alright! We'll come out, but we have a problem!"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2021, 09:34:09 PM »
>Stop your familiars

>"Is your problem related to why you're living in a dead tree?"

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2021, 10:13:12 PM »
>Stop your familiars

>"Is your problem related to why you're living in a dead tree?"

>You stop them.
>"Eh, well, kind of!"
>"You see, we saw these pretty cool looking dolls near the river and thought that someone must've lost them, so hey, finders-keepers! But when we came back here we noticed this weird purple fog was coming out of the dolls! Then the tree and our flowers started to die off! We're not experts on this but we're pretty sure if we open up, then that fog is going to spread everywhere, that can't be good!"
>Another voice interjects. "You do know you just admitted to stealing, right?"
>"Hey, it's not stealing if the person lost it! That's what finders-keepers is about, right?! And besides, look at the situation we're in! We need all the help we can get!"
>Huh, most likely multiple culprits.
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:24 PM »
>"Given that the humans discarded the dolls it is easy to argue they weren't stolen."

>"Miss Hina is more concerned about the fog."

>If we think we or our familiars can possibly eat the misfortune
->Hold out two fingers
-->"There are two options I see for you."
--->"One, I could fetch Miss Hina, a pro at purifying the mist, and she could purify the your home and make sure  there are no lingering effects."
---->"Ooor I could try to E. . ."
----->Cough
------>"Purify the fog then when I return the dolls to Miss Hina you could ask her to check yourselves for any lingering fog."

>If we don't think we can eat the misfortune
->"Please stay put, I'll return with Miss Hina who should easily be able purify the fog."
-->Return to Hina

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2021, 12:44:41 AM »
>"Given that the humans discarded the dolls it is easy to argue they weren't stolen."

>"Miss Hina is more concerned about the fog."

>If we think we or our familiars can possibly eat the misfortune

>That's preposterous, why would you be able to- wait...
>If you can eat anything, literally anything that you've come across, then why not Misfortune? You can at least try. You're swelling with confidence!

->Hold out two fingers
-->"There are two options I see for you."
--->"One, I could fetch Miss Hina, a pro at purifying the mist, and she could purify the your home and make sure  there are no lingering effects."
---->"Ooor I could try to E. . ."
----->Cough
------>"Purify the fog then when I return the dolls to Miss Hina you could ask her to check yourselves for any lingering fog."

>The Suspects in the tree seem elated at the offer. "Anything that could help us get out of here faster!"
>"And safely, don't forget safely!"
>_?

Re: Minor Existence Quest
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2021, 02:23:51 AM »
>"Of course, I just need to allow me into the tree."

>Go inside if they let us in.