~Bunbunmaru News~ > Front Page Headlines
Touhou 18: 東方虹龍洞 〜 Unconnected Marketeers (Full release!)
<< < (3/9) > >>
ZephyrNightwind:

--- Quote from: Felis-Licht on March 20, 2021, 05:09:13 AM ---I thought the lore was that the left hand raised meant more customers and right was more money. As much as I'd like to see ZUN introduce a new male character, this one can't be since there's a noticeable chest. That and the fandom would go insane.

--- End quote ---

The cat has boobs?!? I honestly didn’t see that. Also, someone on YouTube did mention that...

Also, wouldn’t the fandom going nuts be like every game?
Felis-Licht:

--- Quote from: ZephyrNightwind on March 20, 2021, 09:12:19 PM ---The cat has boobs?!? I honestly didn’t see that. Also, someone on YouTube did mention that...

Also, wouldn’t the fandom going nuts be like every game?

--- End quote ---
The shading gives it away. And yeah, the fandom does go nuts over every game reveal and details, but I've noticed over the years the mere possibility of a male character in a main game just drives people mad as if it destroys Touhou's integrity instantly. Even when a fan game like Fantastic Danmaku Festival Part II did this, I saw quite a few people getting up in arms over it.

But anyway, the demo's out, and just like I thought, the cat is a girl :V stage 2 boss is a mountain kappa (yamawaro), and stage 3 is a yamajorou (related to yamanba.) The card buying system reminds me of Len'en's BPoHC. But the soundtrack doesn't sound too great to me; feels too same-y.
Mikuru:
So, has anyone else played the demo and wants to share impressions? Also, I'm not sure of the protocol; should any information from playing the game as opposed to speculation be in spoiler tags? I'll use spoiler tags for now to be on the safe side.

First impressions: The game looks gorgeous and plays really smoothly, even on my PC that is now almost eight years old. Music is decent but no real stand-out tracks yet. The Stage 3 theme is the best track in the demo. Character artwork is great.

The catgirl is called Mike, which is kinda funny for obvious reasons; I know it's a legit Japanese name and pronounced differently.

Gold items do indeed replace point items. They are also, as Karisa said, an in-game currency, and you can buy one card, life or bomb after each stage. Lives are super cheap (80 gold items), so the game should be on the easy side to 1cc.

PIV is 1000 x number of currently held gold items, with caps of 10,000 and 500,000. With the purse (passive card that increases gold item drops) it's easy to hit the upper cap by Stage 2, so there's no worry that scoring will require never spending items.

After playing a bit more, my thoughts on the card system:

The cards you can buy are of four types: active, equipment, passive, and item. The first three correspond to the three "slots" in the UI; "item" is just things like lives, bombs and power increments. You are not limited to one card per slot; you can have at least four passives at a time, though I haven't tried having more than one active yet.

If you don't have enough gold for a card, you can buy it with power instead, although this is probably a bad idea.

Active cards are activated with C, and they are not just one-use. I've tried out a couple. Yukari's gap is, unsurprisingly, the gapping power from Subterranean Animism. The Miracle Mallet clears bullets around you, with a recharge time in between uses, and doesn't fail spellcard bonus.

The purple potion card is a passive, and gives you auto-bomb.

You can select two cards to start the game with, so even if you are going for score, you can have auto-bomb for the entire game. Yup, this should not be hard to 1cc :)

Some enemies drop mini-cards, but I don't yet know what these do. They don't seem to give you a new card. Maybe you have to collect a certain number of the same type?
Karisa:
I'm not actually sure if we have a spoiler policy, especially given how empty this thread has been, but that sounds like a reasonable one.

It's strange seeing a new Touhou announcement so empty, actually... I guess most people didn't stay on with v3 after all. Touhou 17 was mostly after registration stopped working on the old MotK, but even it had a pretty busy discussion thread.

--- Quote from: Mikuru on March 23, 2021, 11:19:01 PM ---Some enemies drop mini-cards, but I don't yet know what these do. They don't seem to give you a new card. Maybe you have to collect a certain number of the same type?

--- End quote ---
The generic cards are just a new design for life/bomb parts. The cards that look like your character give 0.50 power. I think there might be a type that recharges your ability card? I'll need to look into it further.

Also, the wiki's list of cards is up, with translated descriptions:
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Unconnected_Marketeers/Ability_Cards
easy_breezy:
Full game's coming in May right? Glad the demo's on steam.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version