~Beyond the Border~ > Rumia's Party Games

Murasa Quest Continues 2 - A Z-Machine Adventure

Pages: (1/165) > >>

It's Purvis!:


>YOU ARE MINAMITSU MURASA! Everyone’s favorite nautical disaster!
>You are, to put it bluntly, dead. You’ve been that way most of your life, really and are used to it. In particular, you died at sea, and spent a good long time haunting and sinking ships. But that was a long time ago and you don’t do that sort of thing anymore. Not in any sense that counts… These days, you inhabit the Myouren Temple, doing your best to adhere to its brand of buddhism. You aren’t the best monk, to be honest, but you do your best and that earns you praise enough. Realistically, you tend to do various jobs around the temple, or sometimes work in the clinic in Former Hell. Other times to you wander about, sometimes inviting yourself to drop in the various manors in Gensokyo when they’ll have you.
>Today began like any other day, but you’ve been feeling...strange. As a ghost, there’s some things that just bother you. You do not like the direction north, you try not to sit facing that way, you don’t like having to walk further north than the temple. Higan is that way, and you are not ready. Funerals and such fascinate you, and you can’t say why, so too do ghost stories. It’s not uncommon for you to be drawn toward a little get-together on summer nights and scare the people there. And there’s boats...best not to think about those. You make model ones, sometimes... But today...today is different. There’s something in the air, something that sinks down to your bones… It’s set your teeth on edge.
>The strangeness you've experienced seems to manifest in you randomly getting drug into some other world, which resembles Gensokyo buried under and ocean. You have roamed around human town and the hakurei shrine, trying to find someone who could help you understand this. Sadly, at this point, most people who might know something are either not to be found, or simply have only guesses to offer. The most concrete advice you'd managed to get is from Reimu, who suggests that it might be some kind of dream-related thing, and suggested that you find Doremy Sweet to help you out.
>This turned out to be a challenge, as Doremy comes and goes as she likes, requiring you to ultimately track down a tengu journalist to get an idea where to look. During this, yo ended up encountering Tojiko, who witnessed you disappear firsthand, and has decided to try and assist you out of a sense of ghostly solidarity. With the advice of Hatate, you managed to track down Doremy to Eientei, where you arrived in time to find it under attack from a pair of dancers who were in the process of kidnapping the baku. You attempted to stop them, but were untimely drug into the ocean world again. That time, you met someone there, a sort of ghostly jellyfish entity that identified itself as Stargazer. You attempted to bring her back with you, but have no idea if you succeeded. Returning to Eientei, you found that Doremy had been taken, but thanks to your efforts you were able to catch one of the dancers, identified as Mai.
>Interrogating Mai, you learned that she worked for Okina, the hidden god, and that being captured and separated from her sister was causing her her great distress. Eventually taking pity on her, you decided to take her in exchange for an opportunity to speak with Okina on the matter.
>Okina, you found, was sending her two dancers to hopefully persuade Doremy to assist in dealing with a mental deterioration the pair had been undergoing. The dancer misinterpreted her orders, or perhaps simply decided on their own to kidnap Doremy, complicating things. Okina agreed, as a way to set things right with you and with Eientei, to refer you to Yukari; as a god of hidden things she was unwilling to do much more. You and Tojiko split up briefly, as the other ghost went to smooth things over with Eientei. Okina delivered you to the Yukari's doorstep, which resulted in a brief tussle with Chen. Afterward, you were invited in, and spoke with a Yukari who was doing her best not to look perturbed at the world.
>The discussion did not produce as much as you might hope; just some sense that something was going wrong on a larger scale. She did say what was happening shouldn't be happening, at least. She claimed to have a few theories, but didn't seem to want to commit any. She did reveal that Stargazer managed to come with you, in a sense, but needed a vessel to possess in order to really come back with you. To help with that, she provided a plant that Patchouli would later call a cactus for the odd spirit to possess. Then she sent you on your way to deliver a message to Sakuya.
>You delivered the message, whose contents were a mystery but Sakuya seemed to take very seriously. You visited Patchouli briefly, but concluded it was too soon for her to help you. Leaving the mansion, you saw Sakuya leave and then journeyed northward on your own. After a brief stop at Kourindou, now under Nazrin's management, you went back to town to rendezvous with Tojiko, and found her in an argument with Shou, who thought she was up to something. After setting that right and briefly visiting Byakuren to update her on things, you decided to have lunch with Tojiko. This went well, save that you were drug back into the ocean world again. Stargazer was there again, and you were able to get her to possess the cactus successfully before returning to Gensokyo once more and finishing lunch with Tojiko.
>The two of you then journeyed toward Scarlet Devil Mansion, determined to start trying to find something in the library. Along the way, you managed to coax Stargazer from her cactus, and was surprised to find her jellyfish-like form had changed to a more mammalian one, which she seemed to be very pleased with. Asking her about the ocean world and events in it, you were not able to learn much, it seems her recollection was not very strong. Eventually she directed you toward trees, and your suggestion about a specific type of tree sparkled some kind of a memory within her, though not enough for her to tell you anything.
>Moving onto the mansion itself, Stargazer hid herself away before entering. Speaking with Patchouli about Stargazer, she suggests that she looks a lot like Keine's youkai form, which seems obvious in retrospect. You and Patchouli, alos with Tojiko, worked to narrow down your problem with little headway, aside from Patchouli moving away from it being the work of some ancient unknowable entity. She devised a way to measure your experiences, but requires a blessed leaf to do so. You then went to visit Keine, and learned that Stargazer used to be a manifestation of her youkai nature that was separated from her at one point. In theory, she shouldn't exist independently anymore, but it seems that she retained enough will to do so.
>Following Keine's advice, you went to find Utsuho, who also knew a lot about Stargazer, and tracked her to Youkai mountain where she was attending the kappas' university. While she did not have much useful to add, she did seem to buoy Stargazer's spirits considerably. While on the Mountain, at the suggestion of Hina, you went to the Moriya Shrine to try and obtain a blessed lily pad for Patchouli's use. Suwako agreed to this, and shared what she could observe about your condition; in particular she described it as you having a foot snared someplace else, being drug in by some force that she could only describe as newish or youngish, and vaguely familiar but not quite.
>Thus informed, you returned to Patchouli. providing her with the leaf and allowing her to empower a gem that would read the watery world. On her urging, you tried to force yourself into that world, and found you can do so without too much effort. You obtained a reading for Patchouli while exploring the flooded Scarlet Devil Mansion and surroundings, then returned back to Gensokyo. After a brief argument with Meiling about your authenticity, having already entered once, you returned to the library and gave the gem to Patchouli. Upon analyzing it, she found that it showed the flooded world seemed to be entirely fake; describing it as a paper filled with zeroes. After some looking, she managed to some tiny bit of substance, but she didn't know what.
>Needing guidance, you returned home to the Myouren Temple and spoke with Byakuren, convincing her to let you have some temple funds. Tojiko spoke with her mistress in the meantime, but turned up little but well wishes. You were then approached by Okina's dancer, who told you the baku was mostly awake. She brought you to Okina's realm, where you learned that Okina blamed Doremy's situation on your own desperation. Despite this, Doremy heard you out and offered her own insights that whatever you were experiencing was not a dream, and hypothesized it might be memories, which would be unusual in her experience.
>Reporting this to Yukari, after leaving Tojiko to deal with her cat, she agreed it was unusual. You also probed more deeply into Stargazer's experiences with trees, learning little, and trying to sort out her experiences between leaving Keine and coming to flooded Gensokyo, which seemed to be generally unpleasant. The two of you decided the best next step would be to take a more formal exploration of the flooded gensokyo, accompanied by Sakuya who arrived mid conversation and reported that there were no irregularities in the flow of the deceased. Upon returning to the flooded world, the three of you decided it would be best to examine the Forest of Magic.


--- Quote from: Branneg Xy on December 25, 2020, 12:21:10 AM ---> " Right, thanks for the shortcut, Yukari".

> As soon as Stargazer close her eyes, do so as well.

> Traverse and Emerge from Yukari's Gap.

> If we are not alongside the Misty Lake's banks proceed to them, if we are go close to the thickest Eastward or Near It part of the tree forest.

> In any case, wait and have an even-pace with Yukari and Sakuya while also asking, when closing-in to the Tree Forest, Stagazer if "she is having additional remembrances and intuitions".

--- End quote ---

>You step through the gap, and end up at the 'banks' of Misty Lake. Or rather, at the edge of the crater that Misty Lake is now that there is no water's edge to distinguish it from the rest of the world. Yukari and Sakuya soon follow, as does Stargazer. Yukari looks around calmly. Sakuya does so as well, but you can sense she's at least a little rattled by seeing a place so familiar to her buried under so much ocean. Stargazer just drifts to you side.

>_


Yaersulf:

>"Alright Stargazer, any luck?"

It's Purvis!:


--- Quote from: Yaersulf on December 28, 2020, 07:14:01 AM --->"Alright Stargazer, any luck?"

--- End quote ---

>She looks around, then shakes her head.
>"I suppose we'll have to explore, then," says Sakuya.

>_

Branneg Xy:


--- Quote from: It's Purvis! on December 28, 2020, 07:16:11 AM --->She looks around, then shakes her head.
>"I suppose we'll have to explore, then," says Sakuya.

>_

--- End quote ---

> "True, let's start by seeing which among the Thickets or the Single Trees are rarer so to begin exploring with those or that and their area ..."

> Are there more Thickets or Single Trees?

It's Purvis!:


--- Quote from: Branneg Xy on December 28, 2020, 10:19:03 PM ---> "True, let's start by seeing which among the Thickets or the Single Trees are rarer so to begin esploring with those or that and their area ..."

> Are there more Thickets or Single Trees?

--- End quote ---

>Given you're in the middle of a forest, realistically you have both. The trees are mostly massed up, but they are all individual trees when you think about it for a second. There aren't a whole lot of them standing on their own, though.

>_

Pages: (1/165) > >>

Go to full version