Author Topic: Touhou Chronicles English Version  (Read 7967 times)

Touhou Chronicles English Version
« on: June 26, 2023, 08:55:05 AM »

Touhou Chronicles 东方年代记 (also known as Tragedy of Gensokyo, Princess of Phoenix) is a 2012 Chinese Touhou fangame made in RMXP. It's essentially the Chinese fandom's equivalent of Healing Nature. It has 9 chapters in total, each with at least two endings. The game itself also has 10 endings and an absolutely enormous amount of content and depth. This version is translated up to the end of the first chapter.

TL;DR expect the same as Blizzard of Faith and Revenge, but on a much grander scale.

Note that due to technical reasons, some content like the main menu is untranslated in-game. The translations for these can be found in a separate text file bundled together with the game.

Also note that this game uses a lot of unoriginal assets (it's by the same people behind Blizzard of Faith and Revenge). A talented artist by the name of FIND真心 has redrawn most of the illustrations in this game, so this version will use his illustrations by default. Some art that were used without permission have also been cut from the game by default. If you wish to restore the game's original art, check the "Addons" folder. For more information, check the game's readme.

I've included the entire version of the game here since it's free, and afaik there aren't any official download links  left because it's a 10+ year old game and the team broke
apart years ago (and fanlinks are hosted on Baidu Netdisk, which require a Chinese phone number to download from). The original game is also protected by Molebox so patching it will require some elbow grease.

You can get the game here:
Mega Mediafire (Remember to run in Chinese locale. If that doesn't work, try setting your system locale to Chinese before extracting the file.)
I also wrote a walkthrough for the game here
I likely won't translate the rest of the game, but if I do, updates will be posted on this thread.

Re: Touhou Chronicles English Version
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 08:22:11 PM »
There's a translated version up to chapter 5 by a Chinese team. Download link is in their discord:
https://discord.gg/8yyUMdgb

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2023, 03:03:34 AM »
There's a translated version up to chapter 5 by a Chinese team. Download link is in their discord:
I'm aware, however I wouldn't recommend playing this version since the translation quality isn't very good, hence why I translated it from scratch. I got in contact with FIND who gave me permission to use his art, and he helped me ask the team if they were okay with me using the name Touhou Chronicles too, which they were.

The only issue with my version would be the fact that I'm a translator, not a programmer or graphic designer, so there's a few hurdles that I can't get around (like the main menu).

Tom

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 07:06:01 PM »
Blizzard of Faith and Revenge was the first fangame I ever played!  Looking forward to this being translated!

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2023, 10:06:01 AM »
Amazing release been looking forward to playing this. I guess I can consider this a spiritual sequel to BFR which I really should replay at some point.

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 06:18:51 PM »
The invite is now dead, can you send another?

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 02:09:12 PM »
The invite is now dead, can you send another?
My bad, here's the invite: https://discord.gg/8PARaQq3Jz
I'm aware, however I wouldn't recommend playing this version since the translation quality isn't very good, hence why I translated it from scratch. I got in contact with FIND who gave me permission to use his art, and he helped me ask the team if they were okay with me using the name Touhou Chronicles too, which they were.

The only issue with my version would be the fact that I'm a translator, not a programmer or graphic designer, so there's a few hurdles that I can't get around (like the main menu).
I see... Regardless, thanks for your translation effort. I do look forward to for it being translated further as the progression of the Chinese team seems to be unclear.