Author Topic: Is level music neglected by fan musicians?  (Read 8386 times)

VIVIT

• Cactus-powered autonomous domestic appliance
Is level music neglected by fan musicians?
« on: October 15, 2020, 12:15:58 AM »
Filthy secondary that I am, whenever I reach a boss for the first time in a Touhou game, I recognize the music from some fan cover or another. I often have difficulty not singing along to the song with whatever memey lyrics have been written for the tune. But I never experience this with level music: until I reach the boss of a new level, all the music is always just as new to me as the level. Do you think fan musicians have the tendency to focus on boss music to the exclusion of level music? It would make a bit of sense why; the characters are memorable, and people want to cover their theme songs, but the level music is just as great!

I'm not imagining this, am I? If not, then what are some circles who do give the level music this much-needed love? I need more Touhou level BGM covers in my life.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
Re: Is level music neglected by fan musicians?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
The simplest answer would be, stage themes are too calm or aren't catchy enough for popular meme songs. But they still pop up quite a bit in some music genres.

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 03:15:43 PM »
I've noticed that too. Some of my favorite 2hu songs are level music and it's really hard for me to find any good remixes of them.

Well, at least on youtube.
ze

deice

• minus mentality
    • 
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2020, 05:19:48 PM »
https://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/List_by_Song

i don't think stage themes are neglected by doujin musicians. although, they do appear less, likely for the reason stated by OP, that same reason also likely leading various aggregators having a lesser chance of uploading them, either due to lack of personal interest or potential audience.

in case you don't wanna buy albums and such, try searching the bgm's name in japanese followed by "アレンジ" and seeing what pops up.

ramaseta

• Amateur composer and game dev
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • My Writing Website
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 05:48:42 AM »
I do think they're a bit underrated, mostly for the reasons already stated earlier in the thread. Touhou music in general is very melodic, but stage themes are the most ambient sounding that you can get. There are many brilliant stage themes that I love and they make up a good chuck of my favorite Touhou music ever.