~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
Archiving Touhou Flash Animations & Games
(1/3) > >>
shockdude:
Interested in saving big parts of Touhou history? Flash is dying by the end of this year, and there are Touhou animations & games out there that ought to be saved.

Flash was a big factor in Touhou's rise in popularity. Cirno's Perfect Math Class and Marisa Stole the Precious Thing were both released as Flash animations, and the Walfas Create a Touhou Character is designed in Flash.

Flashpoint is a project for archiving old flash games & animations, allowing you to play them in a dedicated PC client separate from your web browser. Volunteers have curated & archived thousands of games & animations so far.
However, there is a severe lack of Touhou games & animations - only 3 games & 2 animations have been archived as of version 8.0.
As of Flashpoint 8.0, there are 46 Touhou games & 16 Touhou animations archived and playable. See image for the full list.

If you want to try these games & animations, just install Flashpoint (I recommend Flashpoint Infinity) then search for "tags:touhou".

Contributing to Flashpoint isn't hard. I submitted Walfas to Flashpoint because I knew how influential it was. But there's still a bunch of animations on the Walfas site, as well as IOSYS animations and multitudes of other games & animations which have yet to be archived.
Lebon14:
I understand the cause. However, I'm not familiar with Touhou's early flash animation at all.

Btw, Flash itself just won't go "poof" like that. Adobe is just ending support which means that any holes in the plugin will just go unpatched forever.
What's cute about Internet and communities about Flash, is that they'll probably create a standalone Flash installer. You might need an older version of a browser but, at least, the option will still be there if you *really* need to watch a flash animation somewhere. I really hope that browsers comes up with a container of some sort to emulate Flash for compatibility sake.
shockdude:

--- Quote from: Lebon14 on April 30, 2020, 09:10:03 PM ---I understand the cause. However, I'm not familiar with Touhou's early flash animation at all.

Btw, Flash itself just won't go "poof" like that. Adobe is just ending support which means that any holes in the plugin will just go unpatched forever.
What's cute about Internet and communities about Flash, is that they'll probably create a standalone Flash installer. You might need an older version of a browser but, at least, the option will still be there if you *really* need to watch a flash animation somewhere. I really hope that browsers comes up with a container of some sort to emulate Flash for compatibility sake.

--- End quote ---
The "standalone Flash" is pretty much what Flashpoint is. It presents Flash animations & games in a dedicated Steam-like client, separate from normal web browsers (which are all gonna drop Flash support this year).
The issue is that only 5 Touhou animations & games have been added to Flashpoint. This thread is basically a call to help contribute more games & animations to Flashpoint, Touhou or otherwise.
Lebon14:

--- Quote from: shockdude on May 01, 2020, 05:06:37 AM ---The "standalone Flash" is pretty much what Flashpoint is. It presents Flash animations & games in a dedicated Steam-like client, separate from normal web browsers (which are all gonna drop Flash support this year).
The issue is that only 5 Touhou animations & games have been added to Flashpoint. This thread is basically a call to help contribute more games & animations to Flashpoint, Touhou or otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Like I said, Flash itself will not stop existing. Like Windows 7: a lot of tech website called, in early January 2020, "Windows 7's death". It still exists today and functional. I use it right now. It's just not supported and the same will be for Flash. You will always be able to use forks of Chromium and Firefox to load the plugin and see flash objects on an old website / sites that embed them. Or use older versions of Firefox or use Internet Explorer (LOL) to use Flash. Will it be recommanded? Of course, not. The option will still be there. However, of course, moving them to archival project that doesn't need to find a way to install Flash is the best case scenario.
deice:
personally i don't see any difference between downloading flashpoint and just downloading adobe flash player and saving the SWF files you want off of the websites they are hosted on. if anything the latter is probably more space-efficient. i however do agree that a comprehensive list of touhou flash content should exist, so people who are looking for some don't have to search through itch, dagobah and other sites
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version