~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
moriyashrine.org got DMCA
<< < (3/7) > >>
deice:

--- Quote from: Kotоhime on March 30, 2022, 05:43:20 PM ---
"...he also claims to have sent me a DMCA notice..."

--- End quote ---

well at least my intuition was somewhat correct ^^ ;
in any case, while i myself only ever used moriyashrine for fan content, i can at the very least admire their dedication in deciding to go full kissanime. here's hoping it doesn't leave a bad impression of the overall western community on ZUN (or even worse, leads to him starting to package drm or something with future releases haha)
easy_breezy:

--- Quote from: N-Forza on March 29, 2022, 12:16:46 AM ---ZUN has never been OK with piracy but he and his team is very small so it takes time for them to handle stuff. If anything, you should be thankful they only got around to issuing takedowns after the majority of his catalog has been released on Steam.

--- End quote ---

He's never been okay with piracy? Didn't he say he's okay with westerners doing it in an interview or are people misinterpreting it?
Petitssk:
About goddamn time. Took long enough.

Wonder if there are plans to go after print works etc. and their translations as well; I remember bringing those up on Touhou Wiki about 11 years ago and people being less than enthusiastic about the prospect; after an admin went berserk on me I agreed to let it go because I didn't want to argue too much about it, but I pretty much left the site at that point and never looked back.

That being said, distribution-wise, the situation is much different now than it used to be, even though getting the games has never been an issue if you did not go at it expecting to find them in your town's local stores.
Kotоhime:

--- Quote from: Petitssk on April 01, 2022, 11:14:51 PM ---About goddamn time. Took long enough.

Wonder if there are plans to go after print works etc. and their translations as well; I remember bringing those up on Touhou Wiki about 11 years ago and people being less than enthusiastic about the prospect; after an admin went berserk on me I agreed to let it go because I didn't want to argue too much about it, but I pretty much left the site at that point and never looked back.

That being said, distribution-wise, the situation is much different now than it used to be, even though getting the games has never been an issue if you did not go at it expecting to find them in your town's local stores.

--- End quote ---

Main issue I find with it are the fangames that are less known. Sometimes the dev just outright refuses to release it for the west. My point is that sites like Moriya Shrine brought people's attention to fangames that no one in the west would know about due to lack of translations. Can't expect people to look for fangames or other fanmade media like music through using one of Japan's alphabets. If every developer at least released their works on booth or dlsite, that'd be good on its own, but that's not case either as some of them use different methods of distribution. There are some of works from recent years that were available just once physically on a Comiket or other convention or works that were digitally sold, but got taken down for one reason or another. One side tells me it's wrong to pirate, other tells me to archive and preserve. Which one to listen?
I guess I'll follow into forces of sanity.

--- Quote from: easy_breezy on April 01, 2022, 08:12:18 PM ---He's never been okay with piracy? Didn't he say he's okay with westerners doing it in an interview or are people misinterpreting it?

--- End quote ---

Probably was ok with it like 10 years ago as there were no easy ways for westerners to buy his games. Since 2017 however he's been distributing games digitally on Steam alone (which is a shame as he could also try DLSite, Booth or something else like GOG even. That could potentially give him even more money since these services may take less with each purchase). So with clear conscience he's free to take away "free Touhou" from the west as it's been going for a pretty long time.
Petitssk:

--- Quote from: Kotоhime on April 02, 2022, 01:48:57 AM ---Main issue I find with it are the fangames that are less known. Sometimes the dev just outright refuses to release it for the west. My point is that sites like Moriya Shrine brought people's attention to fangames that no one in the west would know about due to lack of translations. Can't expect people to look for fangames or other fanmade media like music through using one of Japan's alphabets. If every developer at least released their works on booth or dlsite, that'd be good on its own, but that's not case either as some of them use different methods of distribution. There are some of works from recent years that were available just once physically on a Comiket or other convention or works that were digitally sold, but got taken down for one reason or another. One side tells me it's wrong to pirate, other tells me to archive and preserve. Which one to listen?
I guess I'll follow into forces of sanity.

--- End quote ---

No offense, but "archive" and "preserve" are the big words some of those sites like to mention, which, by itself, is totally valid, but if you only want to preserve, keep the data somewhere safe and ask for better ways of distribution from content creators, but do not fool yourself into thinking that your noble quest to archive and preserve somehow gives you the right to provide the media content that creators worked to create to thousands of people who basically just want free stuff.

Granted, I agree there are some unfortunate cases where the means to obtain specific media are very limited, but at the same time, I recommend you wonder if that really somehow legitimizes uploading their works for free, often as early as day one.

In general, you inevitably wind up creating scenarios where every single person draws the line less far down the road. One will say it's fine as long as it's available in stores in Japan, the next one will be fine with download links, the next one won't buy anything not available in his own country. However, if you really think that limited means to obtain something somehow justify just taking it for free against the content creator's specific wishes, I honestly don't know what to say. You don't need to play every game, but you absolutely should respect content creators and their wishes; it's not like there are none that haven't been turned away from creating content for good because of this very problem. If in doubt, why not muster up the courage and ask them to make sure they're okay with their works being archived and preserved somewhere (and provided for download to just about everyone)?

Again, "archiving and preserving" sound like fine goals, but in the end, it boils down to a sense of entitlement for the large majority of users. They need to have that game/that CD, they deserve it or they flat out don't care.

Personally, I'm honestly not even sure if I like ZUN and Tasofro based on many of the stunts they've pulled (console-exclusive characters, game design choices, event-only releases), but you bet I still respect them enough to actually buy their works and not go for downloads because I don't like the channels through which all games have been available for more than one and a half decades, even from outside Japan.

In that vein, the response from the site itself is also interesting since they mention they want to "find alternative means to continue to provide service to the community" - wonder what that is, but if it entails anything involving downloads, they're at least outing themselves for the hypocrites they are. Though at least they are not referring to themselves as fans in that post - because they may like the stuff they share, but they sure as hell aren't fans with that blatant disrespect for the content creators. That being said, if they're referring to something else, then at least now they may have a better approach to this in mind.

General note - you just happened to be the one mentioning archiving and stuff, so I'm not necessarily referring to you when I say "you".
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version