~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
Foul Detective Satori web-manga discussion thread.
<< < (14/15) > >>
Inunaki:
After two months, we have received a new update.

It was mostly Mizuchi-centric. I like the new character development for Mizuchi, especially since we've only seen her behave more-or-less in one manner. Getting a bigger glimpse into her personality was really nice.

Also, Yuugi taking pity on her and siding with her is interesting. Not just due to the obvious "Yuugi is now helping Mizuchi" development, but if someone who was previously annoyed by her actions actually sympathised with her to the point of actively aiding her, then this I feel is a big development. Whatever this is, it isn't anything minor (I imagine "vengeful spirit" is not a high bar, provided something has made you angry enough, some people can get real petty) and it clearly makes the Miyadeguchis sympathetic. It isn't some cut-and-dry case where Miyadeguchi is clearly in the wrong and the Hakureis were in the right and Miyadeguchi is being petty about it (and maybe that was obvious but cmon, they haven't exactly given the reader any reason to be sympathetic to Mizuchi until now) and I feel it's going to be really interesting when the rest of the cast figure out what exactly happened (from a storywriting perspective, it's unthinkable that they wouldn't find out).

It seems Reimu knows to an extent, but I wonder how much. Back when I first read the previous chapter, I felt that Reimu had just vaguely heard about the Miyadeguchis and simply decided to go after Mizuchi out of pettiness because it was clearly established to be about her, but re-reading it, I'm not so sure. I'm not sure if she knows exactly what happened and is attacking out of honest belief that the Miyadeguchis were in the wrong, or if my previous belief that she's just being petty is correct. I guess we'll have to see.

It seems, at the very least, that my last post was right and we're going to be getting more information about what Mizuchi is getting revenge over, so that's a plus.

Overall, a really good chapter in my opinion. I personally really like Mizuchi and am sorta rooting for her over Satori, Reimu and the others (though that might just be because I tend to sympathise with villains a lot more) and I hope this doesn't end with her being exterminated, though as a vengeful spirit I wonder if she'll cease to exist if she actually succeeds. I hope whatever happens, she doesn't come out too badly.
nintendonut888:
I'm surprised that it's such a common reading of the last two chapters that Reimu is going after Mizuchi out of pettiness or because she hates the Miyadeguchi. It's not clear what exactly her feelings are or what she's going to do, but from the start I had the sense she feels some manner of responsibility towards Mizuchi for whatever happened in the past. Whether that's sympathy or merely an element of understanding before she stands her ground though, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm excited to see where the story takes us as we presumably head towards the final act.
Inunaki:

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on February 29, 2024, 02:15:24 AM ---I'm surprised that it's such a common reading of the last two chapters that Reimu is going after Mizuchi out of pettiness or because she hates the Miyadeguchi. It's not clear what exactly her feelings are or what she's going to do, but from the start I had the sense she feels some manner of responsibility towards Mizuchi for whatever happened in the past. Whether that's sympathy or merely an element of understanding before she stands her ground though, we'll just have to wait and see. I'm excited to see where the story takes us as we presumably head towards the final act.

--- End quote ---
To me, it was the way she worded things. She spoke very vaguely about it, saying the Miyadeguchis served Hakurei Shrine and that it happened before she was born, which is a very vague way of putting things so I originally felt that she might not have known the full story. And then her final words are "We hit back!", which personally felt to me like an indication that she just wanted to get revenge on Mizuchi rather than anything to do with her past, especially considering that Mizuchi was already sealed in Former Hell, it just felt like she was going after her unnecessarily out of spite, due to the confirmation that this incident was about her.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting things, but that's the sense that I got having read it at first. As I said, I'm no longer so sure, but that was my original thought process.
nintendonut888:
Reimu already knew she was the personal target of the incident since the second arc though. If she hadn't learned her name was Miyadeguchi, it sounds like she may have accepted the outcome as things are, but learning her tormenter's name caused her to choose to confront her directly, even at the risk of her own life. Frankly, more than anything, I just can't believe Reimu is the type of person who would act out of spite over clan politics from before she was born, and her body language didn't read as anger to me. It's very much vague what her thoughts towards Mizuchi are since we don't know what happened between the Hakurei and Miyadeguchi, but I would be very surprised if this encounter will be a simple matter of Reimu trying to exterminate her.
Inunaki:

--- Quote from: nintendonut888 on March 08, 2024, 11:41:40 AM ---Reimu already knew she was the personal target of the incident since the second arc though. If she hadn't learned her name was Miyadeguchi, it sounds like she may have accepted the outcome as things are, but learning her tormenter's name caused her to choose to confront her directly, even at the risk of her own life. Frankly, more than anything, I just can't believe Reimu is the type of person who would act out of spite over clan politics from before she was born, and her body language didn't read as anger to me. It's very much vague what her thoughts towards Mizuchi are since we don't know what happened between the Hakurei and Miyadeguchi, but I would be very surprised if this encounter will be a simple matter of Reimu trying to exterminate her.

--- End quote ---
I didn't interpret it as her being spiteful over what happened with Mizuchi over things that happened before she was born, I interpreted it as her being spiteful after having direct confirmation that it was about her. It's been a while since I've read the whole thing, but I don't recall it being concretely established that it was targetting Hakurei, aside from them noticing the pattern of Mizuchi's targets and the incidents Reimu handled. Marisa even acknowledges this by saying "That just makes it even more certain! You're that spirit's main target!", the implication being that now they had concretely established it.

Anyway, as you said, her thoughts on the matter are vague. My interpretation of that vague-ness was that she's being super vague about what happened between the Hakurei and Miyadeguchi but directly after we get absolute confirmation that it's targetting her, she seems bent on fight Mizuchi even after she was already dealt with and in spite of all of Former Hell being blocked off.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version