~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center
moriyashrine.org got DMCA
<< < (6/7) > >>
/(^o^)/Fuwayuru:
The Japanese alphabet has two slash systems, the hiragana for local calendars which is rotated based on the shogunate, or so rumoured, the katakana for everything else Ainu and English, I couldn’t even pronounce the strikes letters on hiragana properly.
/(^o^)/Fuwayuru:
I personally felt it was fine as a child since natural progression in the games illustrate the passing of lore with retrograde developments (subterranean animism four divas, outclassed by hidden star in four season sages, wriggle nightbug from imperishable night transiting to cirno and eternity larva clownpiece etcetera…) and it is like the games such as the one where Horikawa Raiko is the extra boss, which is set on ZUN’s child birth and I cleared, The games usually reflect how demotivated the creators are since they slap random stuff together instead and go for hot baby making.
Popcioslav:

--- Quote from: PrettyPettiGuy ---Again, "archiving and preserving" sound like fine goals, but in the end, it boils down to a sense of entitlement for the large majority of users. They need to have that game/that CD, they deserve it or they flat out don't care.
--- End quote ---
Did they ban or ridicule you in the past or something? Because, boy, ironically enough I can't get through a paragraph of yours without getting a massive feeling of the sense of entitlement you've mentioned.

Either way, it's a shame and I hope like Kotohime and others mentioned, we are actually getting rereleases of things we can't get in the west or Europe right now, because if not, this will only have the opposite effect. A bit more hidden, but still public sites in the background sharing downloads of the games and such, either that or any time western fan will try getting into Touhou games in chronological order, a "friend of a friend" will have to help them. If the product is limited or straight up not available anymore, it's never the fault of a consumer for taking such actions. So yeah, it's a pretty dumb situation. Even if ZUN can legally do whatever he wants with downloads of his games and even if his most loyal fans will blindly agree with how he handled that, like we've seen already, I'm still pretty disappointed by all of this. It's like EA/Ubisoft/Nintendo baby's first legal case. 1) Release content only in specific region or for limited time. 2) Make only fraction of said content available everywhere else 3) Take down downloads that share all of your content, including region or time exclusive content 4) blame it on pirating despite it all starting from your own mistake or from being in gray legal zone to begin with (PC-98 games).

You can disagree with me of course, but by saying archivization and preservation of content isn't an issue here you're making as much sense as the spambot above me does.
N-Forza:

--- Quote from: Popcioslav on April 29, 2022, 05:00:16 PM ---Did they ban or ridicule you in the past or something? Because, boy, ironically enough I can't get through a paragraph of yours without getting a massive feeling of the sense of entitlement you've mentioned.

--- End quote ---
I don't have enough question marks on my keyboard to properly respond to this.

Regardless, since when did playing every game in a series become a dire, pressing need anyway? Is it seriously going to harm or hinder your perception of Reimu because you never got to feel how she controls in HRtP?

ZUN obviously isn't going to hunt down and root out everywhere these downloads are available. If you want to go through the effort to do so, knock yourself out. But he is 100% justified in taking out public repositories of his past works. "Baby's first legal case" is overly reductive too, especially since unlike any of those companies you mentioned, Team Shanghai Alice has one core member and a handful of helpers. If ZUN hasn't even hired a translator to make an official English version, what makes you think he would go through the effort of porting PC-98 games to modern systems, especially when that effort could go towards making a brand-new game?
Petitssk:

--- Quote from: N-Forza on April 30, 2022, 12:52:39 AM ---I don't have enough question marks on my keyboard to properly respond to this.

Regardless, since when did playing every game in a series become a dire, pressing need anyway? Is it seriously going to harm or hinder your perception of Reimu because you never got to feel how she controls in HRtP?

ZUN obviously isn't going to hunt down and root out everywhere these downloads are available. If you want to go through the effort to do so, knock yourself out. But he is 100% justified in taking out public repositories of his past works. "Baby's first legal case" is overly reductive too, especially since unlike any of those companies you mentioned, Team Shanghai Alice has one core member and a handful of helpers. If ZUN hasn't even hired a translator to make an official English version, what makes you think he would go through the effort of porting PC-98 games to modern systems, especially when that effort could go towards making a brand-new game?

--- End quote ---

I am somewhat puzzled by this as well, so thanks for jumping in.

@Popcioslav - Nope, next to the aforementioned brief stint on the Wiki, this is pretty much the only Touhou community I've ever been part of. I simply haven't touched unauthorized downloads in about 12 years or so for various personal reasons, that's all there is to my view on the matter.

I am not sure exactly how my view on this makes you think I feel entitled here unless expecting people to pay for stuff somehow equals a sense of entitlement, but I don't want to rule out that I'm missing something here, so if you care to elaborate on that, please feel free to do so.

Regarding the other points - don't want to go into details since it's somewhat unclear, but you're exclusively referring to PC-98 titles, right? All other titles are widely available, half of them even on Steam. While the other ones are limited to physical releases, they are among the most widely available items on second-hand stores and get regular rereleases. Unless, of course, those sites are right in assuming that not liking the channels through which a specific item has been made available somehow grants everyone who does not like those specific channels a carte blanche to just download it for free (next to those who wouldn't pay money for it in the first place), because that's one of the things that will inevitably occur when those sites continue their noble quest to "preserve and archive" even the games that are available.

However, I'd like to ask you to reread my post - I did not say that preserving and archiving isn't important at all. My point is that such an effort takes one or two people at most - make an effort to have it saved somewhere safe, even in a cloud, and it's preserved and won't be lost unless something goes horribly wrong.

Judging from your post, the only way to preserve these older games is to keep circulating them, which in theory, may be a valid approach, but in practice, again, inevitably leads to the side effect of basically providing the game for free to just about everyone out there. If there were some kind of middle ground here, I definitely agree that it would be great, but the way I see it, you can either support the content creator and ask yourself why you absolutely need to play that game and choose not to, as N-Forza has pointed out, or assume it is your right to have that game and play it, and essentially slap the creator in the face by doing so.

It's not that I don't understand the desire to play those games, it's just that I don't understand being willing to pay that price (or rather, having the content creator pay it).
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version