~Beyond the Border~ > Akyuu's Arcade
SMT/Persona Thread - Probably Wasn't Actually on V2 Edition
<< < (3/4) > >>
degradingwindow:

--- Quote from: HartWurst on February 01, 2024, 03:47:24 PM ---How does press turn differ from regular turns?

--- End quote ---
Think of it like Fire Emblem or any other turn based tactics game. You do all your actions in one turn and then your opponent does all their actions in one turn. And you can have more turns as long as you have spare turn icons.

It changes gameplay a lot because you have to properly prep before your turn ends or else the enemy AI might just decide to dogpile the MC and give you a quick game over. SMT is really less about strategy and more about preparation and that's reflected a lot on the press turn mechanic
HartWurst:

--- Quote from: degradingwindow on February 01, 2024, 04:03:01 PM ---It changes gameplay a lot because you have to properly prep before your turn ends or else the enemy AI might just decide to dogpile the MC and give you a quick game over. SMT is really less about strategy and more about preparation and that's reflected a lot on the press turn mechanic

--- End quote ---

That sounds pretty interesting, I'll probably go for a game with that mechanic then
WitheringFlowerCrown:
I do recommend that you do. SMT 3: Nocturne is one of the most recommeded games. But Digital Devil Saga is also picking up in recognition.

And degradingwindow really is not kidding when they say that preparation is most important in those games. It's to the point that some people say the best part is when you fuse the perfect Demon(s) to accomplish the task ahead.

I will also take a moment to slightly destroy the point of Akyuu's Arcade and recommend Touhou Artificial Dream in Arcadia. A DRPG heavily inspired/based on early SMT (like, SMT 1 or back when the game was just called "Megami Tensei"). The gameplay is so good that SMT and Etrian Odyssey fans who knew nothing about Touhou were also singing its praises and I think it's a good game as well. Though it doesn't have Press Turn, Baton Pass, or One-More as the games back then didn't.
HartWurst:

--- Quote from: WitheringFlowerCrown on February 07, 2024, 06:48:44 PM ---I will also take a moment to slightly destroy the point of Akyuu's Arcade and recommend Touhou Artificial Dream in Arcadia. A DRPG heavily inspired/based on early SMT (like, SMT 1 or back when the game was just called "Megami Tensei"). The gameplay is so good that SMT and Etrian Odyssey fans who knew nothing about Touhou were also singing its praises and I think it's a good game as well. Though it doesn't have Press Turn, Baton Pass, or One-More as the games back then didn't.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I've heard about that a lot, I've also played the demo of it for longer than I'd like to admit. I didn't know it's received that much recognition from SMT fans though. In that case I might end up starting with that because I'll at least be in familiar territory, plus the lack of the modern systems would help me get used to the feel of SMT without first needing to understand the systems. I just need to scrape up $10 first
degradingwindow:
I'd actually recomend SMTIV, it works as a good midpoint between the modern gameplay of V and the good storytelling of III. Sadly, this is Atlus we're talking about and thus the game is doomed to be on the 3DS forever.

Artificial Dream In Arcadia is really good. It has a lot of cool things but it also has a few weak points which I'd like to go a lot more into detail on but this is Akyuu's Arcade so I'll hold myself back. (I'll probably just start a thread on HME about it as soon as I finish it).

Also, a bit late (8 days), but Persona 3 Reload has been released. Look, I love Persona 3, but there's no way I'm paying $70 for it. Reviews so far have been positive but there's a lot of things that they added or changed which people didn't like which was inevitable. The new gameplay changes that weren't ported from P5R feel like experiments to try out how people receive it. I wouldn't be surprised if things like the in-dungeon currency appear in P6 or even Metaphor. I haven't watched all the new story cutscenes (there's a lot) so I don't have much to say on them yet.
Also, also: There's rumours that The Answer and a new Aigis origin story will be available as DLC. I'm not a big fan of The Answer (Yukari) but the Aigis origin story actually seems interesting.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page
Previous page

Go to full version