Author Topic: RPG and Thread Lengths  (Read 14802 times)

Kilgamayan

• False Administrator
  • The Real Treasure is You
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
RPG and Thread Lengths
« on: March 10, 2020, 02:26:09 PM »
Those of you who were regulars of the previous version of the forums will remember that we tended to enforce thread length caps of 1000 posts. This was due to the server choking on large data sets (as it was explained to me by someone more knowledgeable than me). Now that things have changed, we are trying something slightly new.

* For the time being, threads for any short-term game and/or game where the player base is finalized at the very beginning of the game, such as Mafia, will not have any sort of upper post limit enforced. Those running games are welcome to enforce their own length caps if they wish, but this is not required. Note that we may change this in the future (and split existing threads) depending on how the server handles some of the thread lengths we get.
* Any long running game or series of games where the player base is fluid, such as quests/text adventures, should continue to cap threads at 1000 posts, and any continuation threads should have a summary of the game to that point provided in the very first post. This is to make these sorts of games more accessible to people that join later on, as requiring someone to read multiple thousand-post threads to understand what is going on is a bit much to ask.

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 05:01:50 PM by Tom »
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> fire truck YEAH

Re: RPG and Thread Lengths
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 10:49:08 PM »
So how well did the server handle the long Mafia thread?

Kilgamayan

• False Administrator
  • The Real Treasure is You
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:59:44 AM »
Haven't heard any complaints yet! Actually checking that sort of thing is above both my skill level and my pay grade, though.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> fire truck YEAH

Magicannon

• Kingu
  • It's sweet but a little bit sour, like lemon pie!
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Kingu#7816
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 11:09:55 AM »
is there any kind of formality or prerequisite to joining any of the ongoing quests? feels odd to interject without going "hii i wanna join"

Neovereign

• Infinite Potential
  • The Positive and the Negative
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Neovereign#9703
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2022, 06:05:18 PM »
is there any kind of formality or prerequisite to joining any of the ongoing quests? feels odd to interject without going "hii i wanna join"
Most of the time, the "quest" Sort of games here are free for anyone to join. Rarely there's a quest where the host doesn't accept new arrivals, but I haven't seen much of that myself.

Non "quest" games more often have players decided at the beginning.

Of course, I doubt anyone will have a big problem with someone asking "can I join" in the middle of something.

Evil_Nazgul0616

• Seg Fault
  • ERROR
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2022, 04:40:28 AM »
Most of the time, the "quest" Sort of games here are free for anyone to join. Rarely there's a quest where the host doesn't accept new arrivals, but I haven't seen much of that myself.

Non "quest" games more often have players decided at the beginning.

Of course, I doubt anyone will have a big problem with someone asking "can I join" in the middle of something.
Adding on to this:

as an occasional QM myself I will happily accept new players.