Author Topic: Fate of the Danmakufu Wiki  (Read 732 times)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • YouTube
    • AFCDTech
Fate of the Danmakufu Wiki
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:45:03 AM »
It seems that the Danmakufu Wiki is down, as of Feb 26, 2020. Are there any plans to keep it operational, or is the current shift to shut it down for good?

Tom

• Systems Developer
Re: Fate of the Danmakufu Wiki
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 01:58:04 AM »
It will be rebuilt, and will not be limited to just Danmakufu.  There's just *a lot* of stuff happening at the moment and the only thing I can confidently say is "we'll get to it when we get to it". 
I realize this is probably not the answer you would like to hear but as we all know the DMF wiki was quite outdated, contained no pictures/illustrations of how some of the more complicated functions worked and generally looked and felt neglected.  The new wiki (which will not be MediaWiki based) will allow for interactive examples of functions and be more manageable long term.

I am looking for contributors to assist rewriting all the function descriptions, if you are interested PM me on the forums or Discord.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • YouTube
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 03:41:04 AM »
If there's going to be a brand new Wiki, effort should definitely be made to back up the 0.12m function reference as well as the translations of the official Japanese docs and tutorials, since I believe that the Danmakufu Wiki might have been the only place where those existed in any (even if poorly) maintained form.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 05:33:47 AM »
Instead of putting up a whole new wiki, why not migrate the information to the official Touhou Wiki?

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2020, 06:20:19 AM »
Programming concepts are difficult to explain using just words and images, especially when it comes to projectiles, patterns and spell cards.  The new documentation hub is planned to make use of interactive technologies to provide examples that assist learning, as we all know doing something is much more powerful than simply reading about it.
Additionally it would not be limited to just Danmakufu, it would be open to other programmable STG engines such as the official games ECL
« Last Edit: February 27, 2020, 06:24:11 AM by Tom »

32th System

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • 32th System#4485
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 03:14:41 PM »
Programming concepts are difficult to explain using just words and images, especially when it comes to projectiles, patterns and spell cards.  The new documentation hub is planned to make use of interactive technologies to provide examples that assist learning, as we all know doing something is much more powerful than simply reading about it.
Additionally it would not be limited to just Danmakufu, it would be open to other programmable STG engines such as the official games ECL
You should check out LiveECL https://guy-l.github.io/LiveECL/

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 06:02:43 PM »
Impressive!  This is exactly the type of interactive technologies we would like to provide to help explain the functions.  Would it be possible to use said live ecl interpreter on the ECL section of the wiki?

32th System

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • 32th System#4485
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 06:19:55 PM »
You should be able to. Unfortunately I don't know web development so I can't help myself with embedding it, but you can find the source code and contact Guy by clicking the question mark orb on the LiveECL page

Lebon14

• You can hear Momiji awoo in the distance
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2020, 08:38:28 PM »
It's also fully archived on archive.org:
https://web.archive.org/web/20200215010145/https://dmf.shrinemaiden.org/wiki/Main_Page

...from about two weeks ago.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:30 PM »
I also made a copy for offline viewing: mirror 1, mirror 2
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:07:13 PM by Niektory »

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 11:05:21 PM »
Great, now please wait warmly while admins recreate the documentation hub~