~Beyond the Border~ > Sara's Audio-Visual Import-Overflow Retail

Touhou Visual Novels

(1/3) > >>

HartWurst:
Given how many Touhou fan manga there is, it's surprising that there's only 166 Touhou visual novels recorded on VNDB. Why do you guys think Touhou visual novels are so rare?

CyberAngel:
"ONLY" 166?! Pray tell, what franchise has more than that? VNs aren't really a prolific genre in general.

HartWurst:

--- Quote from: CyberAngel on January 10, 2024, 07:10:13 PM ---"ONLY" 166?! Pray tell, what franchise has more than that? VNs aren't really a prolific genre in general.

--- End quote ---
Given the vast amounts of Touhou fanmanga and fangames, I would've assumed that Touhou fan visual novels would've past 200 at least. Especially given how many VNs were produced in the 2000s and early 2010s, which is around the time Touhou began to become popular

WitheringFlowerCrown:
I will repeat CyberAngel's statement and implication that "Only" 166 is not exactly a little. Even the Fate/ series, which started as a Visual Novel, has less. Though you may be talking about the amount of Touhou Visual Novels compared to other genres of fangames, which makes much more sense. 166 compared to the who-knows-how-many other Touhou fangames is small, especially for how long Touhou has existed and how many Doujin circles are specifically around for Touhou.

But to answer your question, Touhou Visual Novels may be rare because most Touhou Fans and Fangames usually focus on other types of game genres. Danmaku (Touhou's home genre), RPGs, Rogue-lites, and even Card games/Tabletop games are common. It doesn't help that Visual Novels, as CyberAngel said, are not a prolific genre and there isn't much of a hook that one can bring. It's a shame, really.

moons1de_:

--- Quote from: WitheringFlowerCrown on January 11, 2024, 07:15:11 PM ---I will repeat CyberAngel's statement and implication that "Only" 166 is not exactly a little.

--- End quote ---
I don't play visual novels other than series that were started by visual novels like Tsukihime or the Fate Series, but I have to ask... How long are visual novels usually? I could understand 166 is quite a lot but how many hours of content would even one of those 166 visual novels provide?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version