Author Topic: Why do you love Touhou?  (Read 8076 times)

Why do you love Touhou?
« on: March 28, 2023, 05:39:41 AM »
For me, it's the community and the passion that surrounds it. Touhou is a labor of love, from ZUN on down. I believe that this is why Touhou has stuck around for as long as it has. Kancolle eventually faded into the background, as will Genshin Impact someday but Touhou will live on for decades.

Ibarakurei

• いばらかせん
  • ゆっくりしていってね!!!
Re: Why do you love Touhou?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 09:04:53 AM »
I'm not sure if I agree with you about the Kancolle part but Touhou definitely earned its steady popularity. I like the series because it's filled with all sorts of passions and dedication people had over the years.
()o

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2023, 12:37:22 PM »
The official games are among the best bullet hell games I've played. The music has always been amazing. The official story and worldbuilding are charming. It's all stuff that I find impossible to forget even if I tried.

...Well, I do believe that all those aspects have taken a steep nosedive after a certain point, but nowadays I prefer to just ignore anything that came out since then. And that still leaves me with a lot of stuff to enjoy coming back to now and again.

Vance_croowa_08

• The entity living in your walls
  • Yo! How u doin' ?
    • vance_croowa08
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2023, 07:33:09 PM »
Well, i love touhou because of it's incredible cast of characters, each with their unique abilites and stories. I also love how each of the games have a somewhat surreal and relaxing atmosphere, especially touhou 6, combine that with the awesome music that really makes you feel all sorts of different emotions. And then of course we have the large amounts of amazing fanworks, tho i'm not really interested in them.

And nothing, touhou is and will remain my favourite game series and it will be a real shame when it will reach its eventual end.

baka! Baka! Baka!
"Your signature cannot span more than 5 lines"

Literally 1984

Gree

• Careening into danmaku at the speed of sound
    • Twitter
    • Gree#9914
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 11:10:35 PM »
Same reasons as most people honestly. Amazing games music and characters, with just the right amount of lore to get people creating. The series itself feels really personal to me, like its always been there, hell one of the first things I ever saw on the internet was Cirno's Perfect Math Class
"High Anxiety" is my middle name

marisaffie

• please ask for discord/socials if needed
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2023, 08:19:52 PM »
100% the music, setting, characters and of course the large community surrounding it. gonna be real here i don't think i would ever be a touhou fan if it were just some random bullet hell ngl.... ;_; and i would've never ever thought of even touching the genre
kirisame gaming

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2023, 10:30:26 PM »
I initially fell in love with a fantastic remix that popped out on a youtube video recommandation and planned to find where it came from and nothing more, but the sheer amount of everything I keep running into during my search got me more and more intrigued and passionate about this series. I'd also say walfas videos and the legendary meme videos à la Alice stole the precious thing, McRolled, and Cirno's perfect math class also played a large part in me discovering the characters and the memes.

I'd say the culture, the community, the various works (music, book games, both official and fanmade) hooked me on one side, and the discovery of the universe, characters and much later even the games got me wanting to see how far the rabbit hole went. We're really, REALLY low production here, but still the series manages to be more immersive than a lot of AAA games with big boi budget production with experienced writers and realistic graphism + physics

The almost-all-female-cast-series niche wasn't quite as abundant as it is nowadays in the past, but that part is still one of what made Touhou kinda unique back in its golden era. It's not such a unique point nowadays as there are for example plenty of popular gacha franchises that are OVERLOADED with waifus and boobs and sexy voice acting and high production value and actual marketing and lots of content (all of which we pretty much don't have much of), but decades of community history and fanworks just CANNOT be replaced by any random new-hot-thing, and honestly, none has managed to charm me quite the way Touhou did.

It's way past its golden era, but we've entered a time where there are more people who are somewhat aware of Touhou and even a much easier access point through Steam (revolutionnary) or the various mobile games  which are millions times more appealling to casual audiences compared to the bullet hell games.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 10:39:30 PM by Suspicious person »

Branneg Xy

• +EARTHLY MIRROR of + the TRINITESANCTISSIME+
  • HOLIEST AND SACRED FAMILY :JHS+M(ARY)+I(OSEPH)
    • Branneg Xy
    • Steam
    • (YOUTUBE by title;LINKEDIN by link) https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiD63dZE4IvxDzRJ9NphWbw" FRA ALU BI Darcanix ")
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »
For me, it's the community and the passion that surrounds it. Touhou is a labor of love, from ZUN on down. I believe that this is why Touhou has stuck around for as long as it has. Kancolle eventually faded into the background, as will Genshin Impact someday but Touhou will live on for decades.
I'm not sure if I agree with you about the Kancolle part but Touhou definitely earned its steady popularity. I like the series because it's filled with all sorts of passions and dedication people had over the years.
As  "sort-of descriptive relatable feelings, aspects, and insights  " + my agreement also accorded the 2 well-expressed above...
" Majorly-Established  Innocence+Purity, alongside Greater Engaging Potential+ Inspirational Creative Improvement...
"From and Through " the "Author-Source" (ZUN/Jun'ya Ota and directly relatable)+eventual Collaborations (TASOGARE/TWILIGHT FRONTIER for mostly the Fighting Games, various Artists for the Print Works, miscellaneous eventual help such as his Legal Aid Lawyer) +Foundations - +Spread-Arounds in well-willed and well-inter-connected,  or justly ancpotentially  open  for such...

"To and Through and According" to "Mostly-Major Established Innocent+Purer, alongside Greater Engaging Potential+ Inspirational Creative Improvement... about the Trends, Direcgkon Environment, Potential,Developments, Actualization, Challenges, Engangements, Continuation,Derivates,  Correspondence,Reciprocity, and all relatable...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 06:37:06 PM by Branneg Xy »
1.+This Real Photo "... and the WORD became Flesh", had been shoot by a Modern-Time Desert Father(Desertic Catholic Christian Community Monk+Ascetic) during THE HOLIEST CONSECRATION-MASS:The HOLIEST FAMILY of NAZARETH ALWAYS MYSTICALLY EVER-PRESENT and with ALSO THE CRISTCHILD BLESSING-https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05573a.htm#section3 , in EVERY HOLIEST MASS-HOST CONSECRATION BY the Ordanied PRIEST(S).
2(++RECOMMENDED+++) https://adoration.tyburnconvent.org.uk -https://tyburnconvent.org.uk
3.Youtube Channel/half-collections/half-references :
" FRA ALU BI Darcanix "

granola.wad

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 02:07:32 PM »
I love the world and the characters. The world is very inspiring that it makes me wanna make my own little fairy tail world :heart:

SeroVich

• Youkai Hunter Maniac
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 11:04:01 AM »
Ngl, I dunno why :cirnotan:. It is just it have good music, a fun and simple storyline that even a kid could understand, fun gameplay (<-- A liar or a madman or both), cool characters, and all other stuff. And maybe some fan made music.

Even these reasons aren't enough, because there's something in Touhou Project that clicks with me. It felt like I entered a new world with new people, even though there are some that I don't like. It is just a wonderful thing how it entered my life the moment in 2020, before I even become 13.

It is just impressive how a series about girls beating the living crap out of each other can stick with me throughout my life. Without it, I might even not think about being a writer. So even though there are things in Touhou I might not enjoy, I am somewhat thankful for the Drunken, yet Competent One-Man Developer, Jun'ya Ota (ZUN) for making this series into fruition.
"Thou art a genius." - Tomo Takino, Chapter 1; Page 38

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 12:10:31 PM »
Great music and pretty girls. Used to be the challenge too, but now said challenge is too much for my age-stunted reflexes. Eh, how things change.

Dreamy-Eyed Yuuritsu

• 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2023, 07:34:45 AM »
I was first brought to Touhou through the gameplay and the fan animations, so those are the aspects of Touhou which still stuck with me the most. But in general, I truly love all aspects of Touhou, from the games, the worldbuilding, the characters, the music, to the myriad of fan content made by dedicated fans out there. :extend:

Ran_Yakumos_biggest_fan

• just a guy who REALLY likes ran
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2023, 10:55:30 PM »
at this point idk. i kinda accidentally went down a rabbit hole on youtube one night, and ended up here, with an obsession with a side character that no one else seems to remember exists (thats how it feels lol)

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2023, 12:56:29 AM »
I like cute girls

moons1de_

• moons1de_?
  • moons1de_
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2023, 04:34:16 PM »
I like a lot of the story behind Touhou even if it's pretty simple each game. I like to see who characters are, how they impact the land of Gensokyo, and how they interact. Other than characters and story, the music has a really interesting feel to it and I love it.

mxstys

• Chiyari consumes my brain.
    • Twitter
    • Steam
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2023, 05:13:00 PM »
I found out about Touhou through RichaadEB's "Bullet Hell" album, and that is also kinda why I stuck around. I absolutely love the fan content around the characters and music, and the official Touhou media is some of the best I have ever seen, from the fun/interesting writing in the written works, or the music in the games, or most importantly (to me), the characters. The amount of characters, and how unique each one feels, really gives me a lot of brainrot.