Author Topic: fangames  (Read 7321 times)

fangames
« on: March 07, 2023, 10:01:31 PM »
what is your fav touhou fangame? mine is touhou scarlet curiosity and the fanmade remake of eosd and pcb.

williewillus

• Chinese American, programmer, danmaku nerd
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • williewillus

Xziled

• Xziled
  • Today is Flanday in California
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Xziled#7155
    • Links and stuff
Re: fangames
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:24:10 AM »
Takkoman Kouzatsu World. That's probably one of the most unique titles out there, full of weird characters and built over a Mega Man Zero gameplay, it just rocks.

nav

• only a poor old duck
  • still a poor old duck
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • nav#5828
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2023, 12:12:14 PM »
Labyrinth of Touhou 1 and 2. Nothing even comes close. Special mention goes to Beventlaed and Red Magic. They're Flash games, so you need Flashpoint to play them and it's a huge download for something so simple, but worth it.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2023, 01:14:16 PM »
Only care about Labyrinth 1 and Fantastic Danmaku Festival 1. Feel like the sequels go too fancy for their own good.

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 05:51:29 PM »
I think "a" favorite fangame would be too hard to pick, so among the ones I greatly appreciate (that are coincidentally all available on Steam), I'd say :

Tenjou no tempest
https://store.steampowered.com/app/994020/Tempest_of_the_Heavens_and_Earth/
An unusual Tenshi fangame that can confidently hold its head up despite being a decade or so old. It's got an unusual respectable storyline that picks up after SWR but does have girls from newer games at the time, intersting power system and abilities you can choose for whatever suits your playstyle, solid spritework, solid soundtrack, ABSOLUTELY EPIC BOSS BATTLES, and challenges. My personal favorite as far as fangames go

The Genius of Sappheiros
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2101110/V/

A bit complicated, but I'd say a particularly cool RPG. I actually haven't played this version (the one I'm familiar with is the Weekend version), but it's sure to have improvement over previous versions. In RPGs, solid gameplay is generally kinda expected to be there, with the story being the highlight ; but the Genius of Sappheiros is actually the opposite : the story is, uh, kinda barebones or just a very slight bonus, but it's got a very GREAT gameplay. It's really hard to explain what makes this game cool especially since it's got an EXTREMELY VICIOUS AND FRUSTRATING early game and tricky bosses (plus some enemy compositions), but imo the sheer control you have over how you wanna play the game, from the equipment to the way you wanna augment your characters plus the formations and how you'd optimize what you have in order to tackle dungeons or specific bosses, plus an unique system for item drops, honestly makes it so that it's pretty satisfying when things go the way you want. It's a VERY brutal game plus fairly unusual system and even unpleasant surprises from bosses, but if it wasn't for the fact that this was just a fangame of some obscure japanese series, I believe it could have risen amongst the greats purely with its gameplay alone.

(I've also seen a speedrun of the game and man, that was the craziest speedrun I've ever seen what's with all the RNG manipulations, enemy dodging, manipulations of chance encounters and item drops. I don't remember the video or what the occasion was, but it was extremely technical, calculated, and planned by a team of particularly passionate folks who wanted to do it)

Lost branch of legend
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1140150/__Lost_Branch_of_Legend/
My new flame as far as new stuff goes (Chinese Touhou fangames kinda went hard these last few years). Roguelike deckbuilder à la Slay the Spire (a classic) so you already know something good's brewing, plus colored mana based of Magic the Gathering. Game's still in early access, but already has currently 4 playable characters, 1 on the way and another one planned to be a little bit different, with 2 playstyles per characters and that's without talking about builds, different difficulties for the game, plus challenge à la Ascension from Slay the Spire, and a possibility to customize the runs. Honestly, while it takes heavy inspiration from other games (and even straight up mentionned StS in the tutorial), it's all around pretty good. It's got nice illustrations for the card and random events, and it's got a pretty nice soundtrack. Definitely interesting to see where it goes, especially considering that fact that it does all that and is still in early access.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 06:01:51 PM by Suspicious person »

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 05:21:26 AM »
I love Touhou fangames.
These are some that I like:

- Labyrinth of Touhou 1 (self explanatory)

- Gensou Skydrift (mario kart but touhou, it's a fun game to play through if you have the time)

- Luna Nights (one of my favourite metroidvanias overall)

- Endless Dreams (touhou rogue-like, I got it in a half translated state (lots of part were still in Chinese, lucky for me I know Chinese), it's not the cleanest of games but it's got a decent amount of collectables and characters.)

I also like to go to Itch.io or other niche sites and mass download a lot of fangames and jam projects for fun. Some of my favourites are:

- Patchy's maze (hack and slash esque game, still unfinished, short but overall one of the best free Touhou fan games ever)

- Spirits In Memetic Paradise (one of the best Touhou fangame shmups. Has some of the most beautiful danmaku ever. It really opened my eyes to the beauty of danmaku, with it I understood what made danmaku beautiful and I really appreciate it for that.)

- Touhoumino (touhou, tetris, the perfect combination.)

- Cirno Horror (horror game with funky Cirno, Im embarrased to admit that this game actually scared the crap out me. The way Cirno slams into the locker almost made me faint.)

Dreamy-Eyed Yuuritsu

• 妖怪羊は幻想郷の夢を見るか?
    • YouTube
    • yuuritsu_yumegane
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2023, 08:13:44 AM »
As a huge mecha/Super Robot Wars fan, and since SRPGs is probably the only type of game that I can somewhat be good at, my favorite fangame will be Fantasy Maiden Wars
The stories of Touhou 6 to 12 are merged into one grand consecutive story spanning from season to season, with an original plotline at the end of the game
There is much character development for the characters, though the girls in general may seem a bit too friendly compared to standard Touhou :v
Since it's a SRPG game, you are capable of recruiting every single named character fro m Touhou 6 to 12 and the side works inbetween into your team, who will accompany you until the end of the game throughout many adventures
I think people who like strategy games should try it out :>

and geek at the numerous mecha anime/SRW references together with me