Author Topic: Labyrinth of Touhou 19F  (Read 5774 times)

Thurler

• Go slow to go fast
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • Github
Re: Labyrinth of Touhou 19F
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2020, 04:59:47 AM »
Actually, Thurler just found out the hit rate formula today, it's (ACC*100)/(EVA+100)%, with ACC being the user's Accuracy plus the spell's Accuracy modifier. So at base 100 ACC with no modifiers you'd have a 50% chance of hitting a target with 100 EVA.

To expand a bit on this, if a move has 10000 ACC or higher, the game treats the target's EVA stat as if it were 0, effectively giving the move 10000% chance to hit! :cirnotan:

Messing around a bit further with damage and evasion calculation also helped me isolate where in the code damage variance comes into the damage calculation, and properly patch it out so damage is consistent. This should help with testing out spell formulas or whether some things scale additively or multiplicatively, just in case there's still something we don't know. It also acts as a ground truth if you're planning out how much damage you'll do to a boss.

The game basically takes the exact damage value, multiplies it by (1000 + X), then divides it by 1000. X here is an integer from (what I assume to be) -100 to +100, giving the 10% variance we know should exist. What the patch below does is change the division to also be (1000 + X), effectively negating the damage variance. This might make Marisa's Sudden Impulse skill useless, depending on how the game calculates the bonuses from that, I haven't tested that out. To patch your game:
  • Open your game exe on any hex editor
  • Look for the following hex sequence: E8 B4 98 FD FF 6A 00 68 E8 03 00 00 (should be at offset 0x36C4A)
  • Replace it with the following hex sequence: E8 B4 98 FD FF 6A 00 51 90 90 90 90
Obviously you should backup your exe in case something goes wrong. This changes the last 5 bytes in the sequence from a "push 1000" instruction to a "push ecx" instruction followed by 4 NOPs. This is what hijacks the fixed 1000 value from before with the same random number used for the multiplication. In the unlikely event we get another patch, I've kinda documented the procudure I used to find that hex sequence in the video linked below, so that the same steps can be used to determine the new offset (the sequence includes a "call" instruction, which is likely to change in a new patch/build). There's also one for the accuracy/evasion formula, if anyone is interested in how these were found in some detail.

Patching out damage variance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNufZRu2fSE
Figuring out the ACC/EVA formula: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBXjbTsJLJE

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2020, 09:56:16 PM »
Nice find Thurler, i've seen your segmented run, good stuff.

Does any1 know how to start new game+ with plus disk characters unlocked?
I swear i saw someone do that, but i can't find it anymore.
The only thing left is

Spoiler:
Full Power Dragon God

because the enhanced stuff isn't for me lol, and IC is kinda lame.

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Oh, here I was thinking the old Forum was just dead, but apprently it moved, huh...

Glad to see the translations finished, thanks for that.

And to chime in a bit on the hex edits: on the newest translated version, going to 0006F0E0 and changing
"C7 41 28 00 00 00 00" to "C7 41 28 64 00 00 00" disables spell animations.

Will be doing the "transition screen" between battles later as well I think, but that is going to break the music as well so I probably won't post it unless requested.

« Reply #63 on: May 30, 2020, 03:00:41 PM »
As a precaution (I haven't tested it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was an issue), later versions of the first Labyrinth of Touhou had an option to disable spell animations, and it broke a few secondary effects, such as Flandre's self-damage/party-wide ATB loss and I think also Kaguya and Okuu's self-boosts. LoT2 is a different game but from what I've seen, it's still a mess code-wise.

In other news, LoT2 will be heading to Switch and PS4 this summer:

https://www.cubetype.com/works/tohoLaby/

https://n-e-studio.com/

https://twitter.com/aaa_3peso/status/1266703130000949248

This is an HD version from what I can gather. The "2" is being dropped from the title as the first game won't be heading to consoles. There should be a patch at some point for the PC version to get the enhancements, and it should be on Steam "eventually". It appears there's some type of delay getting it there ( https://twitter.com/aaa_3peso/status/1266284289605332993 ).

Some specific changes I was able to get out of google translate:
  • HD image quality
  • Revisions to the character portraits by the artist
  • the speed of movement in the dungeon is 1.5 times
  • the amount of bonus experience from special items is doubled, the consecutive battle bonus is increased
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 05:34:04 PM by qazmlpok »

Zoomy Tsugumi

• zoom zoom
« Reply #64 on: May 30, 2020, 03:04:32 PM »
Stat/EXP doubling seems like it'd break the game balance? Unless it's a double boost that only applies into +Disk. Maingame balance is fine as it is it doesn't really need changing.

Anyway it's a real shame that we won't get an enhanced version of LoT1.

« Reply #65 on: May 30, 2020, 04:45:15 PM »
It specifically says that it doubles the effect of the EXP increasing special items, not all special items.

Validon98

• Utahime says hello!
« Reply #66 on: May 30, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »
A quick looking at the specific phrasing, it's closer to being:

-1.5 times dungeon walk speed
-Double effectiveness of experience increasing special items
-Consecutive battle bonus increased

I did get a bit more confused by the Google Translate but yeah it's not just double XP.

Serela

• Wait, it's Mafia Time?
  • Time was a mistake.
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2020, 05:01:19 AM »
You don't have many exp up items for most of maingame, so it's probably fine. Should cut down on the lategame plus grind which is cool. Increased walk speed very handy in general but especially for plumbing through all those dang IC floors. Maybe the eye-straining flashes will be nerfed for IC too finally? (if they were just removed, that'd also really speed up IC)

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2020, 01:29:39 AM »
1. you can increase your monitors refresh rate to make the game run very very fast
2. you can use hialgoboost too but it sucks having to instlal some stupid tool
3. the buffed movement speed sounds nice in the steam version
4. the "less grind" sounds bad because I already found the game too non-grindy compared to Lot1 so I already had to cheat the game to be more grind-heavy especially with the removed animations and all bla
5. ugh I cannot for the life of me figure out how to increase the stupid movement speed, I wish ethan was still around to reverse engineer the heck out of this game
6. the verification questions are very hard, I havent touched actual original touhou games in several years

Gesh86

• Supporter of Hina
    • YouTube
« Reply #69 on: June 10, 2020, 08:02:58 AM »
So the remaster/port of Labyrinth of Touhou 2 will just be known as Labyrinth of Touhou. Meanwhile, LoT 3 is already in development...

I can already foresee where this is going: Labyrinth of Touhou 6 will be called so in Japan, but 3 in the west. Then 3peso unifies it again with LoT 7 and Youtubers will have to make videos explaining what happened to 4,5 and 6.  :cirnotan:

« Reply #70 on: June 19, 2020, 12:20:36 AM »
that would be final fantasy all over again...

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2020, 01:59:49 AM »
---

edited because Im dumb, nevermind
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 10:48:04 AM by Moon »

« Reply #72 on: Yesterday at 02:39:41 PM »
The release date of the PS4/Switch version has been announced as July 16th: https://twitter.com/aaa_3peso/status/1281498215989170176