~Beyond the Border~ > Rumia's Party Games
Youmu Quest - Many Duties of a Half-Phantom
(1/6) > >>
raikaria:
So; my life got hectic. Really hectic. As happens when you work in healthcare during a global pandemic and IRL happens. But it's calmed down now. I have a bit more time.

Combine this with a case of Writer's Block and you have what happened to Rumia Quest. Well; that and I think I over-complicated things for myself and ended up with too many plates, plot threads and even attempts at game systems.

Well; the last few days I've gotten that GM'ing itch again, as I get a bit more free time. And I also had an idea pop into my head.

First big different thing. I'm actually running a quest with a less obscure character who's more established in the lore and a higher-tier character. So there should be less of a need for me to start powering the character up; making new abilities and having to set limits; ect.

Second thing: Due to work pressures; don't expect daily updates, but I will try. [Holidays have me working 11/14 days however, and an 8-day on the trot section coming into it so... yeah]. But, not pressing myself like that should help avoid burnout.

===

> You are Youmu Konpaku

> You are a being that is actually unique; to your knowledge; as a Half-Human Half-Phantom.

> This makes you a being of contradiction. You are dead and alive simultaneously. It also gives you some rather unique racial abilities and quirks.

> You are a young woman [Well; you're almost 60, but in terms of your species, you're just under 20 in full human years] with many duties. Your official title is 'Gardener' but you're also a swordplay instructor, bodyguard; maid, and general problem-solver. All of these matters you are employed by Yuyuko Saigyouji [As has your family been employed by her before you.] She; in turn, is employed by the Yamaxanadu, making the Yama technically also your superior.

> Due to your racial preferences, equipment and personal style, you focus more on speed and skill than raw power. With Roukanken; your katana [Which is almost as large as yourself] you don't need raw strength anyway, as the things the blade cannot cut are next to none. This speed and skill naturally lends yourself to being pretty formidable in danmaku fights as well, should the need arise.

> You are currently standing guard outside of Hakugyokurou, both in defense of Lady Yuyuko so no mischievous spirits annoy her [And so she doesn't annoy any unfortunate spirits...], and in the event anyone tries to approach the Saigyou Ayakashi. Ever since you and Lady Yuyuko tried to bring it into bloom, you know better than to let anyone mess around with that tree again. Besides; the Ayakashi is technically part of the garden, so you see it as your responsibility.

> Your body is split into two halves.

> The main body that most people call 'Youmu' is the humanoid one, but your phantom half floats by your side. Many affectionally call this 'Myon', but it's still you, Youmu. The phantom can fly a short distance away from you [No more than 3 meters, which is also it's tip-to-tip size. It cannot be forced further away from you either without great difficulty and pain]. Your Phantom self can interact with objects, although it lacks hands. It cannot pass through walls, because it's not a full phantom. It has no independent thought, as it is you, but it can also act separately of the main body, almost like a fifth limb.
Branneg Xy:

--- Quote from: raikaria on November 28, 2020, 11:27:33 PM ---So; my life got hectic. Really hectic. As happens when you work in healthcare during a global pandemic and IRL happens. But it's calmed down now. I have a bit more time.

Combine this with a case of Writer's Block and you have what happened to Rumia Quest. Well; that and I think I over-complicated things for myself and ended up with too many plates, plot threads and even attempts at game systems.

Well; the last few days I've gotten that GM'ing itch again, as I get a bit more free time. And I also had an idea pop into my head.

First big different thing. I'm actually running a quest with a less obscure character who's more established in the lore and a higher-tier character. So there should be less of a need for me to start powering the character up; making new abilities and having to set limits; ect.

Second thing: Due to work pressures; don't expect daily updates, but I will try. [Holidays have me working 11/14 days however, and an 8-day on the trot section coming into it so... yeah]. But, not pressing myself like that should help avoid burnout.

===

> You are Youmu Konpaku

> You are a being that is actually unique; to your knowledge; as a Half-Human Half-Phantom.

> This makes you a being of contradiction. You are dead and alive simultaneously. It also gives you some rather unique racial abilities and quirks.

> You are a young woman [Well; you're almost 60, but in terms of your species, you're just under 20 in full human years] with many duties. Your official title is 'Gardener' but you're also a swordplay instructor, bodyguard; maid, and general problem-solver. All of these matters you are employed by Yuyuko Saigyouji [As has your family been employed by her before you.] She; in turn, is employed by the Yamaxanadu, making the Yama technically also your superior.

> Due to your racial preferences, equipment and personal style, you focus more on speed and skill than raw power. With Roukanken; your katana [Which is almost as large as yourself] you don't need raw strength anyway, as the things the blade cannot cut are next to none. This speed and skill naturally lends yourself to being pretty formidable in danmaku fights as well, should the need arise.

> You are currently standing guard outside of Hakugyokurou, both in defense of Lady Yuyuko so no mischievous spirits annoy her [And so she doesn't annoy any unfortunate spirits...], and in the event anyone tries to approach the Saigyou Ayakashi. Ever since you and Lady Yuyuko tried to bring it into bloom, you know better than to let anyone mess around with that tree again. Besides; the Ayakashi is technically part of the garden, so you see it as your responsibility.

> Your body is split into two halves.

> The main body that most people call 'Youmu' is the humanoid one, but your phantom half floats by your side. Many affectionally call this 'Myon', but it's still you, Youmu. The phantom can fly a short distance away from you [No more than 3 meters, which is also it's tip-to-tip size. It cannot be forced further away from you either without great difficulty and pain]. Your Phantom self can interact with objects, although it lacks hands. It cannot pass through walls, because it's not a full phantom. It has no independent thought, as it is you, but it can also act separately of the main body, almost like a fifth limb.

--- End quote ---

// Understandable,and more  and Modesto for explaining about "Rumia Quest", and Very Well Done for the Much More Important Real.Life(maybe sort of "Intensive Aid&Care Sanitary and Paramedic Operative and Assistant? )//

// (The Game System is Good and it has Inspired MoTK. V3,)Any Hope for a Q&A or an "Assorted Curiosites&Creativity " or similar, at some likely future  point and at its proper thread, for ""Rumia Quest: Revival"//

// A Few Starter, Occasional, Complementary Replies to Start Raikaria's Youmu Quest//

> Important, or at least Interesting, Relations,  Activities and Locations,besides the" Main Ones"?

> Take Altitude for better Vantage point and Sightings, the  floating should. Alternate between over top and under the top of Walls&Gates.

>Pick  a Side to Observe while Myon the Other in 2 Mt Distance from us 2,move in a  " Steady  Rotational Surveillance Rounds".
Tom:
// Oh so we get Stage 5 boss playable protagonist abilities this time?  Interesting~

> While our half phantom can't phase through tangible obstacles, can it pass through other semi-tangible items such as danmaku, familiars or magic barriers?  Also can we change it's shape to fit through places we can't?  Like through a small window?

> Is cutting through danmaku with our Roukanken blade considered unfair according to the shrine maiden's rules?

> Are we afraid of ghosts?
Evil_Nazgul0616:
//Guess who's back.
//Back again.
//Rai is back!
//Tell a friend.
//Guess who's back. Guess who's back. Guess who's back. Guess who's back. Guess who's back...

//Silly song references aside, it's good to see you back. Was honestly starting to worry about you considering covid and all.

>Look around.
>Check chest for usual growths.
>Spellcards on hand
>Inventory
>Relationships. (Additionally do we have a crush or otherwise romantic interest on anyone, particularly anyone of a lunar rabbit variety?)
>Most recent incident that we know of.
raikaria:

--- Quote from: Evil_Nazgul0616 on December 01, 2020, 10:39:28 AM --->Look around.
>Check chest for usual growths.
>Spellcards on hand
>Inventory
>Relationships. (Additionally do we have a crush or otherwise romantic interest on anyone, particularly anyone of a lunar rabbit variety?)
>Most recent incident that we know of.

--- End quote ---

> You look around. You see the usual scenery around Hakugyokurou. The ground is a snowy-white, with various small cherry-blossom trees dotted around; mostly outside the walls that surround the Zen Garden. You can see some spirits floating around above the trees, in the violet sky.

> Error - Growths not found.

> For someone who actually dosen't use them often, you have a lot of spellcards, although you generally only have the magical stamina to use 3~5 of them in a given fight; depending on which spellcards and what amount of power you put into them.

- However, your primary spellcards which you prefer to use include:
> Ghost Sword "Fasting of the Young Preta" [And it's upgraded versions]
> Hell Realm Sword "Two Hundred Yojana in One Slash" [And it's upgraded versions]
> Animal Realm Sword "Karmic Punishment of the Idle and Unfocused" [And it's upgraded version]
> Human Realm Sword "Fantasy of Entering Enlightenment" [And it's upgraded versions]
> Heaven Sword "Five Signs of the Dying Deva" [And it's upgraded versions]
> Six Realms Sword "A Single Thought and Infinite Kalpas"
> Human Sign "Slash of Present World"

You have other spellcards, but these are your mainstays. It is worth noting that you have also managed to devise two 'Impossible' spellcards that are not allowed to be activated under general Spellcard rules; Light Sign "Light Flash of the Netherworld"; and Higan Sword "Hacking Slashes of Hell and Paradise".

> Aside from your clothing and spellcards, you carry Roukanken and Hakuroken.

Roukanken is a katana that is far too unwieldy for normal humans, but you are not a normal human. Forged by Youkai, the things this blade almost as large as yourself cannot cut are next to none. This fact plays into your fighting style very well, as you're not actually that physically strong, but you don't need to be strong to slice things with Roukanken.

Hakuroken is a Wakizsahi, and is a family heirloom. You well told by your Grandfather that it 'slices through confusion'; although you're not entirely sure what that means. The blade seems to cause spirits to vanish, but dosen't seem to do too much to living beings besides the obvious physical damage. You found the blade outside your room on the day that he vanished.

> Your primary and most important relationship is with your employer; Yuyuko Saigyouji. Despite knowing her for all your life; her whimsical nature makes it hard for you to understand what she's going on about most of the time, and she seems to be well aware of this fact and enjoys teasing you somewhat. Despite her youthful appearance, she's well over 10 times your age, but given she's a full-ghost, she doesn't age anyway. She doesn't act like it usually; but she is very intelligent and very powerful. She can't leave the Netherworld in most cases however, she either needs permission from the Yama, or the interference of...

> Yukari Yakumo is the main visitor to the Netherworld. She can come and go using her manipulation of boundaries, particularly the boundary of Life and Death. Yukari is even harder to get a handle on than Yuyuko, but seems to have known her for a very long time. She usually ignores you, and you ignore her technical trespassing into the Netherworld for the most part... because you know you couldn't stop her anyway; and besides; Lady Yuyuko likes her company.

> The Yamaxanadu; Eiki Shiki, is Lady Yuyuko's superior. She's generally amicable, although somewhat high-stung and can get carried away lectureing people, although you know she does it from a good place and reason. You don't get to speak to her much, and in fact you only ever met her rather recently.

> You are an acquaintance of Reimu Hakurei. Usually; when Yuyuko sends you to the world of the living, you end up bumping into her, usually investigating the same issue. Reimu is a little bit suspicious of you, due to that one time you stole spring, but she seems that way around pretty much everyone.

> Marisa Kirisame is someone you've met a couple of times but not really interacted with too much. You don't trust her, because even you know her reputation as a thief, but she's also not done anything to really offend you either.

> Everyone else you've either not met or hardly interacted with enough to have much opinion. Notable omissions include:

- Ran Yakumo/Chen - Yukari doesn't bring them to the Netherworld usually, although Ran was brought a couple of times during that whole Ayakashi incident, but you never interacted with Ran.

- The Primsriver Sisters - While they could go to the Netherworld; they usually; as Poltergeists, stay in the Living World. As such, you don't really interact with them. You are aware of them however, since they like to linger near the Border of Life and Death; often using their music to help guide and soothe souls entering the Netherworld.

> The Beast Spirit Incident. As the incident involved animal spirits; Lady Yuyuko sent you to investigate. You reported back to Yuyuko; who was being visited by the Yama at the time. The Yama mentioned that the whole Afterlife's systems are basically breaking down due to a mixture of 'funding issues' and 'bureaucracy'. You... don't know who funds the Afterlife, or how it can be having budget issues.

---

Something worth noting, as a Half-Ghost, you have the rather unique ability to pass freely through the Barrier of Life and Death, since you are both dead and alive. As far as you are aware; only the Yama, Yukari and Yuyuko [although she usually dosen't use it] can do this. However, Reimu kind of... broke in during the 'stealing spring' thing you did, and the Barrier has never really recovered from that, and strong mortals have been able to pass through since.
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version