Author Topic: Rika and Nitori's Garage Experiments  (Read 1117 times)

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
  • Ada.Text_IO.Put("h*ck");
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
    • Analogue Reverie Website
Rika and Nitori's Garage Experiments
« on: February 19, 2020, 03:25:17 AM »
I'm no Helepolis, but since they don't appear to be here yet, I suppose I'll start the discussion about what needs to be there and stickied.
  • The note on official game discussion not going in RaNGE, probably.  I don't know if anyone will make that mistake again, but maybe something detailing what the section is actually for.  (as well as a distinction for the Touhou Projects section).
  • The list of projects by community member, as well as taking the time to update it.  (We even have more full shmup fangames now in the West!  It's worth showcasing those too)
  • The information thread should probably just be copied, pasted, and stickied.  There's also some new information now that DNH's source code dropped (including Woo for those who choose to use it), as well as Sparen's DNH documentation being used in place of the old wiki.  There's been musings of making a new wiki, but no plans yet.
  • Free to use Touhou Assets thread, definitely a necessity and deserves to be updated too - they are pretty scarce.
  • The ZUN's guidelines thread is also a necessity - making sure people know what exactly is acceptable regarding Touhou fan doujin according to ZUN.
  • The DNH Q&A thread being archived would be nice, as well as potentially starting a new one for other engines (though that could get messy!)
  • Regarding the Touhou Projects thread, making sure certain patches are archived is especially important because some patches are most accessible from those threads (the PC-98 patches and some fangame ones come to mind).  Also making a thread that links to as many translation patches as possible.
  • Some fangames also only have a presence on MotK...ones like Luminous Dream come to mind, as I don't know if they have their own website or anything.  Making sure those are backed up and rehosted is likely a good idea.
  • RaNGE contest history repository, linking to Sparen's backups of them.  As well as moving the newest RaNGE contest over, since it was cut short.

I think that's everything, someone reply if I missed anything vital.
Also known as the Return of Eastern Wonderland and Danmakufu Woo Edition guy.

1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (H), PCB (N), IN (H), PoFV (N, all shots), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (L), WBaWC (N)
Extra 1ccs: All Windows mainline games, including PoFV.
Scoring: HSiFS Easy (PB: 1.1b)

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • YouTube
    • AFCDTech
Re: Rika and Nitori's Garage Experiments
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 05:43:29 AM »
A few bits from me:

- If it is possible to have new leadership from the current generation of scripters and fangame creators, it should be preferred. A lot of the senior members have full time jobs/have moved on, and so having moderators who are physically capable of putting time into the job would be great

- List of projects by community member is great in theory but an incredible maintenance burden in the long term. If it exists, it should be located somewhere where the public can edit it (e.g. a Wiki) or otherwise contribute. I'm speaking from personal experience with existing databases I maintain for the Danmakufu Community.

- Q&A: There are thousands of posts on the old forum. The useful bits are hidden in that massive haystack. It may be more effective to distill as much as possible into a FAQ of some sort rather than trying to archive the entire thing in a readable form.

- Archival of MotK-only content: The only thing worse than losing the content is misrepresenting it and preventing the owner from having access to it. If this type of backup is made, it should be in a read-only format where the only people able to break the glass and gain access should be the verified original creators. On an aside, during my contest combing, I found dozens of contest entries that only exist as attachments, but the creators may actually prefer that they be lost to time. Old work does not necessarily represent current ability.

- RaNGE Contest History full backup still ongoing. I'm only saving Opening Posts, Logistics Posts, and Results Posts, as well as full rankings, judging results (whatever hasn't already been lost to time), and downloads (when available). From my own experience, approximately 50% of the contest entries not uploaded to Bulletforge are permanently lost to time.

That's all for now.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
Agreed on all counts, Sparen.

1ccs: SoEW (N), LLS (N), MS (N), EoSD (H), PCB (N), IN (H), PoFV (N, all shots), MoF (N), SA (N), UFO (N), TD (N), DDC (N), LoLK (N), HSiFS (L), WBaWC (N)

32th System

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • 32th System#4485
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 11:38:21 PM »
 In Touhou Projects: a thread that contains everything that the community knows about how Touhou games work and how to use ZUN's functions.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 12:11:22 AM »
An ECL resource thread would definitely be helpful.  I might take the time to put some of these threads together myself in Hele's absence.

32th System

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • 32th System#4485
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 12:34:11 AM »
Not just ecl, but also anm, std, sht and how to edit Assembly code in order to get something like this https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/661703048476884993/679735780616175667/2020-02-19_18-06-11.mp4 (made by Priw8) aka using functions from ZUN's engine we know

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 02:09:47 PM »
Hi all, good to see this thread happening. Don't mind my avatar, it is a bit of nostalgic as it was one of my first avatars when I had joined MotK.

I've been discussing my status among the mods and admins on previous forum. Karisa had asked in general to everybody who was up to continue mod work over here. I'll quote my response here as it does not contain any sensitive information anyway:

"I am not sure if continuing my active moderatorship for RikaNitori is benefiting the community any longer. I rather pass the baton to younger new blood for a fresh start. Though I am up for moderation support if needed."

Last couple of weeks, if not months, I've been only global moderating the forum (usually dealing with spambots). RikaNitori became more and more quiet and silent in my eyes except for the occasional questions and contests. To be honest, I've also seen a decline on Eastern Community regarding Danmakufu. Now that Doujin circles are able to release on platforms such as Steam, there is little to no reason to stick to Danmakufu.

Though that doesn't mean we should stop as well. No, definitely not.

So I would suggest someone who is very active and passionate about MotK v3 to pickup the baton and request moderator status for RikaNitori. Reforge the community and do what you think is best for the community.

I am all for supporting MotK here, but from the sideline or perhaps as audience.

--Helepolis
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 02:11:49 PM by Helepolis »

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2020, 03:48:18 AM »
So I would suggest someone who is very active and passionate about MotK v3 to pickup the baton and request moderator status for RikaNitori. Reforge the community and do what you think is best for the community.

I think the biggest thing is that most people who would fit that role don't have forum moderating experience or use Discord much more heavily than MotK, including myself.  I would give it a go but I'm not sure I can afford the time investment.  Thanks so much for giving your blessing, though, and thanks for all your work on RaNGE V2.  Hope we'll still be seeing you, haha. 

Karisa

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Karisa#5432
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2020, 07:55:18 AM »
While I don't use RaNGE enough to weigh in on this discussion (though I'm keeping an eye out on all the sections for potential staff recruitment, especially since most of the v2 staff decided not to continue on to v3), I would like to say that prior forum moderating experience is not required.

In my own experience, much of being a moderator is being a community leader. Someone active and regularly contributing, who other members of the community can trust. A trusted moderator helps members raise concerns with the staff if needed, when they might not trust someone they've never talked to before. There are tasks like managing the stickies and moving/splitting threads as needed, but actual moderation tends to be rarer than normal users might expect.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2020, 07:06:45 PM »
Asking first before I go ahead - is it alright if I repost the necessary stickied threads before moderation is determined?  I have them pretty much ready and I even have some updates to broken links, so I figured it would be easier if it was just there.
I'm also looking to apply for moderation for RaNGE, but I don't know the process, so if the administration team could get back to me i'll provide what they need.

Karisa

• Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Karisa#5432
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2020, 08:15:22 PM »
Reposting stickies/regular threads is fine. As long as you're updating them, as it sounds like you're already doing, rather than copy-pasting them.

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
    • YouTube
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 09:42:14 PM »
The most important thing is that whoever posts is willing to maintain. Now and in the future.

WishMakers

• Myouren's IT Guy
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • WishMakers#0385
    • Steam
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2020, 04:54:33 PM »
The most important thing is that whoever posts is willing to maintain. Now and in the future.

I'm very much willing to maintain them should things need to change, especially with something like the assets thread (something I personally feel is super important).