~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center

Archiving Touhou Flash Animations & Games

<< < (2/3) > >>

Branneg Xy:
 :D Thanks for the heads-up,inisght and constructive discussion  8)

--- Quote from: deice on May 02, 2020, 03:17:11 PM ---personally i don't see any difference between downloading flashpoint and just downloading adobe flash player and saving the SWF files you want off of the websites they are hosted on. if anything the latter is probably more space-efficient. i however do agree that a comprehensive list of touhou flash content should exist, so people who are looking for some don't have to search through itch, dagobah and other site
--- End quote ---

https://bluemaxima.org/flashpoint/downloads/ indeed it is " Flashpoint 8.0 Ultimate
Very large file size (~330GB DL, ~400GB to extract)...Recommendedfor Archivists" and  " Flashpoint 8.0 Infinity
Smaller file size (1.7GB when extracted, filesize increases with amount of games played) ... Recommended for Casual Players ".

I have download and I am extracting+test launching the lighter one ( Flashpoint 8.0 Infinity) ; the space/storage-size/archive-size's efficiency incl. occasional slowdonws&bottenecks ,and in some cases or events the connection bandwith or sharing or networking, is a limiting and concerning aspect,though indirect and not direct, that should be taken in consideration and eventually improved,within its reasonable capacity since the aim and objective and nature and upload/download archive size  of Flashpoint.

shockdude:

--- Quote from: Lebon14 on May 02, 2020, 05:20:44 AM ---Like I said, Flash itself will not stop existing. Like Windows 7: a lot of tech website called, in early January 2020, "Windows 7's death". It still exists today and functional. I use it right now. It's just not supported and the same will be for Flash. You will always be able to use forks of Chromium and Firefox to load the plugin and see flash objects on an old website / sites that embed them. Or use older versions of Firefox or use Internet Explorer (LOL) to use Flash. Will it be recommanded? Of course, not. The option will still be there. However, of course, moving them to archival project that doesn't need to find a way to install Flash is the best case scenario.

--- End quote ---
I'm using "dead" as shorthand for "regular people shouldn't run this". Obviously you can keep "dead" software alive, but there's usually a good reason software should be "dead".
Sure, you can keep Flash alive with an old (insecure) web browser browsing old (possibly insecure) websites and running an old (insecure) web plugin. After 2020, no regular person should run this setup.

As for "archival project that doesn't need to find a way to install Flash is the best case scenario" Flashpoint is exactly that project lol. It includes an isolated Flash Player that doesn't need to be installed.
Ideally Flash would be fully emulated (e.g. Ruffle) so we don't need flash player at all, but we're a long way off from that.

--- Quote from: deice on May 02, 2020, 03:17:11 PM ---personally i don't see any difference between downloading flashpoint and just downloading adobe flash player and saving the SWF files you want off of the websites they are hosted on. if anything the latter is probably more space-efficient. i however do agree that a comprehensive list of touhou flash content should exist, so people who are looking for some don't have to search through itch, dagobah and other sites

--- End quote ---
For most SWFs (and frankly most Touhou SWFs) you're right. But some flash games have "sitelocks", aka they refuse to run unless they're hosted on the website they were downloaded from. Other games depend on external files and resources from hardcoded locations. Flashpoint implements mechanisms to work around all of these issues, to meet the goal of preserving as many flash games & animations as possible.

To stay on topic: I found the original SWF for Cirno's Perfect Math Class on archive.org: https://web.archive.org/web/20090204020717if_/http://www.iosysos.com/mp3/IOSYS_toho9_SansuuKyoustrawberriessu.swf
Thinking of packaging it up myself for Flashpoint, though if someone else does it first that's ok too.

Edit: I submitted Cirno's Perfect Math Class, as well as Marisa Stole the Precious Thing. If all goes well, both should appear in the next Flashpoint release.

Niektory:
Oh, looks interesting! I have a bit of a Touhou video archive and it includes some Flash animations and games as well. I'll upload them one of these days (and look for stuff I'm missing).

I remember Dagobah Flash Gallery also has a bunch of them. Which seems to be already archived by the BlueMaxima guys...?

There were previous attempts at open-source Flash players but they never managed to take off. Will that Ruffle thing be different? Time will tell. Would surely be nice.

shockdude:
Turns out there are actually 46 Touhou games and 16 Touhou animations in Flashpoint, including many (not all) IOSYS animations.
I'm dumb and used the wrong search query. You have to search for "tags:touhou", and not just "touhou".

Original point of the thread still stands, since there's still many animations & games that are not yet archived.

Hyouiibara:

--- Quote ---Marisa Stole the Precious Thing
--- End quote ---

I listened for it a few days, and whenever I listed to doll's judgment:

"WHYWHYWHYWHYWHY DO I MISS YOU A LOT FOREVER??????"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version