Author Topic: Lotus Eaters manga discussion thread  (Read 2471 times)

Lebon14

• You can hear Momiji awoo in the distance
    • Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
Lotus Eaters manga discussion thread
« on: February 19, 2020, 02:37:05 AM »
Well. Let's start off where we stopped.

3 chapters are now out and it started very well if you asked me.

Looking forward for more!

Current schedule: Monthly, by the end of the month.

latiasred

• She who forgot a yield in her while loop
  • nue, rumia, and marisa are like epic and all
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Luminous#7351
Re: Lotus Eaters manga discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2020, 03:18:57 AM »
im kiiinda more interested in cheating detective satori since im not very hyped about stuff involving dreams and sleep in touhou, i think weve had enough of it for a while

still miyoi is cute and i wanna see what she can do

and... uh... marisa being a drunk crossdresser is canon now??

also is this the first time marisa is seen inside of reimus shrine, because to this day i still cant figure it out and my message on marisas touhouwiki talk page never got answered which leaves me to assume nobody uses talk pages, because this is the second time

The section about Marisa's relationship with Reimu states she's never been seen in the shrine before, but if I'm understanding correctly, the new chapter of Suichouka shows that Reimu carried Marisa to her shrine, and she is seen asleep there. I might just be reading it wrong, but if someone can confirm this I think they should change that line.
hi :flushed: :amehiya: :dying: :superdying: :mariss: :lesanae:

i play touhou a lot, notable achievements include:
hsifs normal 1cc (MarisaWinter)
eub easy 1cc (everyone) easy dissonant 1cc (Kasen) normal 1cc (everyone) dissonant normal 1cc (Rin) mof easy nm  might score eub seriously one day idk :flushed:

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 01:41:35 PM »
I didn't expect Miyoi's identity to be revealed so quickly. Also I hope we see more youkai-youkai interactions since she said she protects Geidontei from them.

latiasred

• She who forgot a yield in her while loop
  • nue, rumia, and marisa are like epic and all
    • Twitch
    • YouTube
    • Luminous#7351
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 02:21:42 PM »
more youkai-youkai interactions

hmm come to think of it yeah, we don't see youkai dealing with other youkai as much, which is disappointing since i like the idea. it's mostly human-human or human-youkai

i hope we get youkai interacting here too, especially since miyoi's ability doesn't look(read:look) like something that would affect youkai.
hi :flushed: :amehiya: :dying: :superdying: :mariss: :lesanae:

i play touhou a lot, notable achievements include:
hsifs normal 1cc (MarisaWinter)
eub easy 1cc (everyone) easy dissonant 1cc (Kasen) normal 1cc (everyone) dissonant normal 1cc (Rin) mof easy nm  might score eub seriously one day idk :flushed:

Lebon14

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 05:23:16 AM »
I didn't expect Miyoi's identity to be revealed so quickly. Also I hope we see more youkai-youkai interactions since she said she protects Geidontei from them.

Very good observation. I'd love some youkai-youkai interaction too.

Miyoi being a zashiki-warashi means she brings good or bad luck depending on how she is treated.
However, I feel that she doesn't stop there. I feel that she has some kind of control over perception or something. She's literally... you know... when you're drunk and keep drinking, you don't even realized that you asked for another and they keep coming. Miyoi's the girl you don't remember that gave you beer after beer.

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 05:40:23 AM »
I'm very curious what Miyoi's powers are, but after the last chapter, I get the impression the fact that it is very hard to remember her is a passive ability, if it is one at all. The way she talks about it makes it sound more like an acquired trait than something she can control.

Lebon14

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 03:40:57 AM »
Chapter 4 is out.
I'm starting to get confused wheter or not Miyoi is a protagonist or an anthagonist.

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
  • Whatcha' doing?
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 05:40:51 PM »
Chapter 4 is out.
I'm starting to get confused wheter or not Miyoi is a protagonist or an anthagonist.

Me too. Last chapter it seemed more like some of this stuff was happening outside of her own volition, but this chapter has her looking menacingly on multiple occasions. And that beast that Reimu saw...We didn't even see too much of it, but it felt like it was on a whole other level than the other ones before, if it even is real.
The way she's calling her own name is strange, too. Maybe the whale hat is the Suima, and causes the nightmares, while Miyoi induces the drunken sleep? Because the whale is in the background of every hallucination. Or there is no Miyoi at all, and it's only the hat.

On a side note, Reimu worrying about Marisa is so cute, and Youmu definitely is a mean drunk. And Marisa in cooking mode looks awesome!

Edit: Just remembered that Miyoi said she is the Zashiki-warashi of the pub. So she probably isn't an extension of the hat, at least if she told the truth.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:29:50 PM by Piranha »

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 06:43:34 PM »
I think that this new manga series is far more reflective of ZUN's favorite things when compared to previous work, what's with the recurrence of beer and food, AKA stuff that ZUN is a pretty big fan of. Speaking of things ZUN is a fan of, I'm VERY tempted to say that ZUN might even have taken some inspiration from Jojo's bizarre adventure -something we all know he is a big fanboy of- for Miyoi, specifically Death 13, as it involves a dreadful, irresistible and unrememberable dream attack.

Honestly can't tell what kind of direction this is taking, but I like the pictures, I find it pretty lively.

Also I'm a bit surprised at Marisa's reaction to being talked down. I haven't really thought of her as some kind of proud person, but then again maaayyyybe Reimu and the others crossed the "teasing" line and went into the "rude and insulting" side ... also Youmu is not a nice girl
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 06:46:40 PM by Suspicious person »

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 10:19:29 PM »
It's pretty surprising to see YOUMU be the one who is making fun of someone instead of the other way around! Jerk.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 10:22:10 PM by OldWiseYoukai »

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2020, 02:09:52 AM »
Something that hit me just now about this chapter:
Spoiler:
When Marisa was talking to Miyoi at Geidontei, she didn't seem to have any memory of what happened after she was captured in chapter 3. Granted, it's not entirely clear how much of that night was real, but at the very least I think it's safe to say things were at least real up to the point she was outed as a youkai. I wonder then if even memorable details like that fall out of the average person's mind? At least Reimu seems to remember who she is and why she is hallucinating.

7TC7

• Your level of hope can't fulfill me
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 03:40:36 PM »
I'm not sure where the genre tags for these manga come from, but from the first chapter the Thriller tag for this particular one really stood out to me. This manga is a lot darker and uncanny compared to previous ones I feel, while obviously also having drunken fun time. The dream visuals are much more imposing than anything we have seen in Touhou before - possibly because the monsters in those aren't cute girls but actual monstrosities for once and because they are shown to be nigh unbeatable. Previous manga had rare moments of the youkaines of particular characters slipping through their usual mask (which I always love, personally), but this time something nightmarish (literally) happens about every chapter.

As a reader, I have an incredibly strong distrust of everything Miyoi says and does. While Kasen's identity was a big mystery to noone in the readership and everyone in the manga, I feel like here we have a real mystery of a character waiting to be unpacked. The fact that for some reason everyone seems to forget everything about her, gives her a lot of freedom in regards to the mischief she could be making - though, the sadness of the fact also seems to be working on her. The way she tried to play it cool in chapter 4, when Marisa said she had completely forgotten about her hit quite hard.

Gotta wonder if at the end of it all, it will have just been a dream. *insert ballad of the wind fish*

^ Picture leads to my YouTube channel

Lebon14

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
I just found out today that the first 3 chapters are now out for free.
ComicWalker: https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_KS04201360010000_68/
Touhou Garakuta: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3
Niconico Seiga: https://seiga.nicovideo.jp/comic/45296?track=verticalwatch_epinfo1

So that means, we can link to translations. I'll be updating the OP later.

Lebon14

• Twitch
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Lebon14#1880
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 03:56:32 PM »
And the latest chapter is up.

Suspicious person

• Just a fun loving kind of person
  • ... but what is fun ?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 08:32:31 PM »
THE MEAT IS SO RAW IT'S ACTUALLY FREAKING ALIVE !!!
                                                                                         - Gordon Ramsay, probably

Glad to see we seem to be getting back to the 2-chapters-an-arc approach, but still not sure yet what kind of direction this manga is gonna take nor what theme it would have besides food and booze.

The thing that weirded me the most in the latest chapter (5) is the mention of "mana". Like, I'm not even sure if something like that has been mentionned before. Is this like an actual thing in the past works cuz I cannot recall "mana" being mentionned in a work that came out the last decade ?! Cuz I find it weird that we'd get introduced to some kind of new energy that hasn't been properly explained before, or at the very least hear a never-used-before name for an energy ...

I also find it pretty interesting that Reimu is the only one that is able to remember Miyoi. Not sure if it's because of a yet-to-be revealed setting, or if its because of something Reimu did in the previous chapters

And may I mention that it's not cool how they're just cheating us out of a proper Master Spark
You can't just shout Master Spark and not do Master Spark

Anyway, if this manga is gonna keep staying on the food and dreams side of things, then I hope it'll bring us some Doremy or Sumireko goodness, and potentially some Mystia (that'd be cool). I personally would want there to be proper interaction between Miyoi and Suika. I feel like I knew much more of Kasen, Kosuzu, and the three fairies's personalities by the fifth chapter of their mangas than I do for Miyoi.

Entertaining read, but still a bit of a lightweight lore wise for now imo.

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2020, 09:52:21 PM »
I'm perfectly okay with us not knowing much about Miyoi at this stage, because compared to previous stories Miyoi's true intentions and personality are one of the central mysteries of the manga. It feels like, compared to a lot of official manga, ZUN has a very focused story in mind, and that's exciting to me. The cyclical nature of the story feels very on purpose, with us learning a little bit more each time. Looking forward to what comes next.