Author Topic: Mobile changes  (Read 574 times)

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
Mobile changes
« on: March 20, 2020, 09:19:02 PM »
Not really a fan of the mobile support.

I cant navigate to the latest post of a thread from the board unless there is a new reply. No avatars. Post creation isn't much less clunky looking than before with the long rows of buttons. A fair amount of function feels lost for not very noticeable gains.

The worst part is I dont know how to switch it back on a whim, nothing was added to Look and Layout to change it unless I missed it.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Branneg Xy

• JHSMI++++
  • +++++TRINSS
    • Branneg Xy
    • LINKEDIN (FREE ACTIVE) PROFILE
Re: Mobile changes
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 01:47:22 AM »
Not really a fan of the mobile support.

I cant navigate to the latest post of a thread from the board unless there is a new reply. No avatars. Post creation isn't much less clunky looking than before with the long rows of buttons. A fair amount of function feels lost for not very noticeable gains.

The worst part is I dont know how to switch it back on a whim, nothing was added to Look and Layout to change it unless I missed it.
(Clarified&Resumed also thanks to Tom).
Have you tried switching to "Browser(Website one not present) Desktop Mode +Zoom on Mobiles "?
No navigation to the latest post of thread unless a new reply is posted" is going by both the General Board and Section Board ?
Tweaking the options on/off appropiately for your own Mobile Support(s)  https://shrinemaiden.com/index.php?action=profile;area=theme;u=111 ?
 Different Mobile Online Configurations and Devices here together "just" for here?

I am sorry   :( that you are experiencing those limiting difficulties on Mobile and only on the recent,since it is still   :-\ young , Maidens of the Kaleidoscope/MoTK 3 to boot but I am  still glad you are making a personalized feedback ...

In fact there had been , like  one on  the Previous Forum Domain which had a been recent&unresolved&unique Glitch for me  and I do remember fixed ones for a minority  , " personalized " incompatibilities mostly on Mobiles.

On my Mobile Support  I am also using and testing on average ( Smartphones on 8.1 Android and on 7.1 ; Tablet on iOS 9.x ; all 3 Desktop&Mobile Modes ; User Wi-Fi,4G,4G+)and I am not experiencing those or similar (nor any other and no Glitching Fonts Mostly on Mobile like on MoTK 2 from December 2019  ) or I Have "adapted" through " Desktop Mode with Zoom ".

Finally, it won't  gain  Mobile nor a Unified Desktop+Mobile Usability but there might be improvements if you try out ,as I can guarantee I am satysfyingly doing it, the PC-98  8) Theme
 https://shrinemaiden.com/index.php?action=theme;sa=pick;u=111;cbe08df8=66ad502c75b1df84887f247683f03813 .

P.S. By the way, from this reply I am seeing the down-sized displaying glitch  of the on-thread emoticons(unique or rare?) has been fixed by one or both Admins ( Tom and Karisa ) ! Thanks  :D !

« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:07:47 AM by Branneg Xy »
Almost Mahjong Online Flash Touhou Game
( up to 4 among vs Com or vs Players )
 http://3-me.net/flashdir/thjan/
- Touhou " Jan Mahjan " Almost Mahjong -

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 05:30:08 AM »
The mobile version behaves similarly to what the MotK2 version did.  The fact that the desktop website was being rendered was an issue that was introduced when the software was changed when we moved to MotK3.  The advantages are clear, having to repeatedly zoom in and out to click on links, the tiny unreadable text, the slow load times, the excessive panning needed to navigate the page have been corrected as the loading process is streamlined to produce a readable page with no horizontal scrolling or zooming required.

If you still insist on using the classic mode on small screen devices we advise you perform an internet search for "request desktop site <name of browser and operating system>" to find your browser's display as desktop button.  This will let you view the website the way you did previously.

We hope this helps~

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Real!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
    • Nekomata-tan#3128
    • Steam
    • AO3
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2020, 11:14:44 AM »
Oh, that does help. I'm used to sites I regularly use (like Github) having an on-site button to switch between mobile/desktop versions, so I forgot browsers have the feature built in.

I actually don't find panning / zooming to be that much of a hassle when the information on the page provided is infinitely more usable. I consider being able to see the latest topic replied to / last poster in a topic w/ last post link to be highly relevant

On top of that, the topic-level view is completely readable for me but with the avatar/etc (often more identifiable than the username) still visible.

But that's just on me I guess.

Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Branneg Xy

• JHSMI++++
  • +++++TRINSS
    • Branneg Xy
    • LINKEDIN (FREE ACTIVE) PROFILE
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 12:03:02 AM »
Oh, that does help. I'm used to sites I regularly use (like Github) having an on-site button to switch between mobile/desktop versions, so I forgot browsers have the feature built in.

I actually don't find panning / zooming to be that much of a hassle when the information on the page provided is infinitely more usable. I consider being able to see the latest topic replied to / last poster in a topic w/ last post link to be highly relevant

On top of that, the topic-level view is completely readable for me but with the avatar/etc (often more identifiable than the username) still visible.

But that's just on me I guess.

Everything alright with Broswer Desktop Mode on Mobiles?
 I really hope so.

On another note and for future fixing: I have found out that on Mobile Only Config the PC-98 Theme
,  after a few tries switch on-off the Browser Desktop Mode and in both on Board and on Thread,  has turned from fully Thread Incompatible  (No Thread Displayed) to a Stable Mostly Compatible with the same limits reported by NekoNekoRex but all is still fine with the Default/Basic Theme(still using the PC-98 one ;))
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 12:23:45 AM by Branneg Xy »
Almost Mahjong Online Flash Touhou Game
( up to 4 among vs Com or vs Players )
 http://3-me.net/flashdir/thjan/
- Touhou " Jan Mahjan " Almost Mahjong -

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
That's an issue with the browser and not the website, try not rapidly switching between the two.

Rotating to Landscape mode should also switch it to desktop mode (on a large enough screen) if that's more convenient for a quick switch

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 11:03:03 AM »
I have to agree on the point about not being able to see latest replies, it's something I use quite often when I'm logged out.

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 12:00:48 AM »
The mobile site doesn't have any icons or indicators that show new posts in a thread or forum section. This hurts the usability of the mobile site vs desktop imo. Any chance for new post icons/indicators to be implemented for mobile down the road?

Tom

• Systems Developer
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 02:17:09 AM »
Things are quite busy at the moment and there's several issues blocking the addition of new post indicators.  I can confirm that they are on the eventual to-do list however it will have to wait.