~Hakurei Shrine~ > Touhou Addict Recovery Center

Lotus Eaters manga discussion thread

<< < (8/10) > >>

Lebon14:
After a long hiatus, we finally have a new chapter of Lotus Eaters. Nothing much in this one except my favorite cameo happened.

Suspicious person:
New chapter 14, new happenings, new stuff to talk about. Miyoi discovers how the sausage gets made ... and quality sake or not, once you see it's primarly suspicious-insect-juice, you'll probaaaaaably have a second opinion about drinking the thing ...

Anyway, considering the artist's right arm accident and the need to properly recover, a drop in quality is kind of expected at some points for this chapter 14 (compare for example how a high view of the back of Moriya Shrine was drawn in this chapter 14 compared to how it was in the previous chapter), but honestly it doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the quality of the drawing : character designs are properly respected, expressions are still very vivid ... the non-background, relevant characters that we see up close aren't drawn in a sloppy manner at all. These kind of details probably don't matter that much, but we should be grateful for the efforts and consistant quality that is provided by the manga making people, and that despite troubles they encounter, in making this for our enjoyement.

The chapter itself is more booze talk. While we already know about sake bugs and Suika having her ways for getting excellent booze, Kanako too seems to have her own ways ... ways that seem to break some rules of Gensokyo. Since the humans of Gensokyo are not really familiar with the proper japanese sake that Kanako want to make them experience, I think it's fair to speculater that it's something that she imported from the outside world ...

As for how things are gonna unfold for the next chapter, we previously had Reimu who said that she was gonna throw some kind of sake event to counter Moriya Shrine's sake event in the chapter 13, with Reimu being Reimu, she probably not going to have the means to provide quality sake by herself and is gonna need someone's else's help (someone that's not Yukari, who hasn't been properly introduced in this manga yet). As for that someone, we have Miyoi, who got Suika to get her excellent quality booze in order to prove the rude customer (Kanako) wrong, but can't really do that since Kanako didn't come ... I think that Reimu entering Geidontei this time is about trying to get Miyoi to provide the booze for the Hakurei Shrine Sake event, similar to how food from Geidontei made their way to Hakurei Shrine night parties from the earlier chapters. How things are gonna develop is not so certain, but we've got the possibility for Miyoi's ability to kick in, and hopefully a clarification regarding Kanako's potentially rule violating ways of acquiring quality booze.

Also, this is probably irrelevant towards what is going on in this booze arc, but we do see some kind of details that can help determine a timeline for this particular arc's events, as this chapter (and the previous one) being in autumn, with the maples leaves to tell you so, this chapter shows a waxing crescent moon that later becomes a first quarter moon! I'm too lazy to calculate and determine the timeline of this chapter myself, so I'm just leaving that here for the ones who are interested in this kind of thing. Nice little detail, methinks.

Lebon14:
And another new chapter! Where Kanako gets dunked on. Also more wolf tengu mobs. Been forever!

Lebon14:
...and another new chapter. The usual place where the chapters were usually uploaded went down because of a database attack.
So, if you know the translator, a uploaded somewhere else for us to read.

This time, we're dealing with another ghost. And Aya somehow has big plans for Hijiri.

Suspicious person:
Very, VERY late on this, but apparently Touhou Suichouka got localised, just like FS, and got received a translation for that.

I've seen a bunch of talks about mention of the use of "Ghoul" instead of Youkai (which is both funny and weird to me, considering the fact that FS's localisation kept "Youkai" as "Youkai") and "Demon" instead of "Oni". Not particularly interested in seeing "those" kind of debates again, but imo, it's probably gonna be like how it was for FS, where the translation is quite honestly as good as the ones we're used to except it doesn't use the terminology we're used to. I'm sorta hoping that things are gonna be alright going forward for this manga series.

But at any rate, no matter what kind of wording the translators working for this are gonna choose, imo it's not necessarily gonna something that is gonna have a big impact on the terminology already agreed upon by the Overseas Touhou Community at large : the release IS official, but the translation is just there.

Another thing I absolutely don't get (and it was the case for FS too) is the exclusion of "Touhou" from the book's title ?!!! Generally, it's the people who are familiar with Touhou who will pick up Touhou books, and the fact that these books count as new entries into the series is what makes them interesting ... I cannot picture people discovering Touhou through this relativelyu isolated manga called "the Lotus Eater", even less so since unlike FS, there aren't a lot of reference to other works ... I don't get the reasoning behing removing the title this very series is known for, it's like what if you picked just any Fate series related work and the word "Fate" was nowhere to be seen on them ?!!!

But at any rate, I haven't seen how the various wordiing and terminology are for myself (even for the free chapters). Probably gonna wait for the series to be concluded and everything being neatly available in volumes before actually getting em.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version