~Beyond the Border~ > Akyuu's Arcade
What compels a 1CC?
<< < (4/4)
WitheringFlowerCrown:
My first Experience with Shmups was an Adobe Flash game that I can barely remember the name of. I still remember having fun with it.
As for why specifically Touhou? A combination of reasons. First I take writing and lore way too seriously, let me explain:
When I was preparing my (now abandoned) Minor Existence Quest, I wanted to get all aspects of the lore and world of Touhou as accurate as I could and I decided that also included playing all the games and seeing all the possible dialogue along with the other external media. I was also a fool and played EoSD first. I still did it but there are some regrets.
Second, I like playing games. Shmups are fun to get through and Touhou in particular being the first ever one to give a name to specific bullet patterns (Spell Cards) made it very easy to chunk and make tactics to execute and succeed.
Third: A test of my skill. Challenging myself is important in everything, playing through EoSD on Lunatic was an... experience, and I will not forget it.
Overall, I stick with Touhou for Mechanical depth and lore, but I would be lying if I didn't say that the presentation can be amazing and make me stick around on a specific Spell Card for longer than necessary.
My favourite game in the series is Imperishable Night. But for non-Danmaku examples it's Hisoutensoku because I'm heavily biased towards any game where Tenshi is around and/or a playable character.
degradingwindow:

--- Quote from: Funbil on January 16, 2024, 04:39:04 PM ---This is interesting to me. So for games that don't have any kind of alternate endings, do you not feel the need to 1CC them at all? You might be the first person I've ever heard of to play shooting games for their story, heh heh – which isn't even remotely a bad thing! That's an extremely unique perspective. I think it's amazing that so many people can appreciate the same games for such different reasons.

--- End quote ---
Even if there isn't an alternate ending I still try to 1CC games. If I beat a game too easily, I can't really appreciate the story that much. I want to feel the pain of going through the same stage over and over (I swear I'm not a masochist) so when I finally get to the story portion I get a deeper satisfaction because I worked for it. If I want the story handed to me on a silver platter, I would just go read a book or watch a movie. ZUN said in an interview once that he makes the story in order to justify the gameplay but to me I feel the opposite, the gameplay is what justifies the story.

The only way you could satisfy both audiences is by having difficulty settings. Difficulty options in games are a great way to satisfy both the people who want more gameplay and the ones who want more story. If you just want the story, go through easy mode but as I said above, I don't really see the charm in blasting through a game without effort. I always try to play games on the highest difficulty possible not because I'm really good at videogames (I'm not) but because I simply want a fuller experience. Although I make some exceptions with games like Touhou were the highest difficulty is really hard, I have limits.

--- Quote from: WitheringFlowerCrown on January 19, 2024, 07:35:26 PM ---My first Experience with Shmups was an Adobe Flash game that I can barely remember the name of. I still remember having fun with it.

--- End quote ---
I had a very similar experience. Although Touhou is when I started playing shmups seriously,  my first shmup experiences came from playing games either from shady websites or even shadier games my aunt used to get me, I think it led to my poor Windows XP having over 20+ trojans but at least I had fun with them, maybe one day I should try digging them up from my old hard drive or search history.
Navigation
Message Index
Previous page

Go to full version